.300wm

forest

Guys go easy on me! I am new to these rounds we are using a .308 at the min, but thinking of the .300WM any pros cons?
It will be used for hunting deer and at the local range which stretches out to 1200yards.

Guys go easy on me! I am new to these rounds we are using a .308 at the min, but thinking of the .300WM any pros cons?
It will be used for hunting deer and at the local range which stretches out to 1200yards.

you have came to the right place. its a great site to get knowladge about rifle shooting and ballistics.

now considering you dont know much about the 300 win mag you wouldnt be so capable of makeing shots out to 1200 yards. makeing those kind of shots on deer takes a verry good understanding of equipment and ballistics and most importantly skill. ( cant belive the shots that some guys on here can achive )

so if you gonna hunt out to say 500 yards the 308 should do you just fine. and the .308 would be a much better choice for your 1000 yards parcticeing at the range as it has much lower recoil and a much longer barrel life and a non experianced shooter can usualy shoot tighter groops with it as it is easyer to shoot than a 300 wm as it has considerably less recoil.

now if you are saying l had my time with my 308 and want to go one step further then yeah for shure go for the 300 wm as it will have much more energy at longer ranges compared to the 308.

pros

+flat shooting
+alot of knockdown power at extended ranges compared to the 308
+one of the most popular long range hunting calibers together with the 7mm REM MAG if not the most popular one amongts hunters World wide.!!

cons
+hi recoil so could make you flinch and hold on to your file hader than you should resulting in poor groops ( once use to the recoil l find it very managable )
+lower barrel life compared to your 308 ( depending of the make of your rifle or barrel ) anywhere between 1000 rounds to 3000. permium steel+ hammer forged ones tend to last longer but might not be the most accurate. ( most german rifles )

these are the basic things. other guys here can explane it better to you.

but if you ask me l would say go get one :D
dont see no reason why you would regrett it. gun)

Cheers man thanks for the reply. At min it is a light barrel I am using on the .308 no good for target shooting. I would never dream of taking a kill shot for deer out past 3-400 yards I know my capabilities but on the range its good to try. Would you advise me to screw cut the barrel? I was also thinking of a Rem 700 rifle any advice? Also I will change stock! which I will need help for later:)

It's a great caliber without any doubt. The 300wm ad 7mm Remington are probably this country's most successful and popular big game calibers with the .270 win coming in a close third.

SW makes good points above, it may not be the ideal caliber for you to start with if you don't already have a great deal of experience shooting because to become proficient at long range you must first master the basics of good marksmanship and understanding ballistics, drop, wind effects etc.

There are better calibers to start out with. The .260 Rem and 6.5x55 which is an extremely popular caliber in Europe are better choices for the novice due to lower recoil and cheaper to shoot which can very much matter with high volume shooting.

Welcome.

Thanks guys for all the input, check out the swap a hunt I will help any of you guys if you ever decide to take a trip to Ireland.

Cheers thanks man its 3am here in Ire. I am out hunting deer tomor even, around 5.00pm our time headin out with friend.

Very good round. That is also my next one to fill the gap between my 338 and 257. Thinking of trying the omen from nemo arms.

the omen is one fine looking rifle... They have a couple of them at my lgs and I'm looking for a reason to swap out my ar15 for one of the omen rifles. I already load for the 300win, so setting her up shouldn't be too much work.

The 300win is a good step up in power from the 308/'06 group of 30 cal. rifles. If you can't stand a lot of recoil a mag. 7mm of some sort may be a better option, but if you can take the hit, go out and play with Winchester's big 30.

Should I get it screw cut for suppressor or not? recoil no bother but accuracy vital!
A suppressor definitely adds to the total package and helps to keep from disturbing not just other game but the neighbors.

If you have the budget I'd certainly say it's a good idea.

A quality suppressor will not negatively impact accuracy.

If the largest game you intend to shoot is a 200lb or so deer, you may want to think about a .243 Winchester or similar 6mm round. You can get every bit as good of ballistics as the 300WM (which I love) without the recoil. You get the long range target shooting capability but can still take deer easily at more moderate ranges.

The 300WM is better if you plan on extending your actual hunting range out further or if the animals are bigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.