Short Barrel Tikka 300WM (Supressed)?

I finished load development on a tikka T3x 300WSM yesterday. Using Federal brass, Sierra 180SBT, RS Hunter powder, and CCI 250's. I loaded these to 2.976 OAL (jam is 2.996"), so I will need a magazine modification, but as loaded from the factory length barrel they were clocking 3050fps. I am shooting the factory barrel length that was threaded 1/2x28 and then with a 5/8x24 bushing going to a SiCo Omega 300. If you cut back to 20" I think you would still be 2850fps or better which is still 100fps faster than most 30-06's. I say go for it. If I were to do my rifle all over again I would still do a 300WSM versus the 300WM due to magazine length constrictions in the tikka. I would also cut the barrel back to 22" and thread.
how accurate was this setup...???

3 shots, 100yds, Spartan javelin pro bipod, rear bag. Very windy. ~0.65"
86FEC039-97F4-4302-87DB-6CB837D29B13.jpeg

I've got some buddies with 300wm that have 22in barrel suppressed and they seem to love it. They haven't been elk hunting but have shot deer out to 600yards. No idea there speeds.

I had a .300 WSM with a 17" barrel, and shot it suppresses it's entire life. It ran everything from 155 Scenars to 208 Amax at velocities I'd expect to see out of a 24" 30-06.

Quick note…. Make sure your suppressor can handle that kind of pressure, I've seen cans come apart on short barreled magnums.

@Damage Inc. I'd add...

Make sure you can take the can apart or have a way of getting all that unburnt power out. My buddies can on his 18" 300wm won't roll far across a flat table.

He says "it's got ballast in it like a sail boat" "helps me hold level better" he also says that...... "Busch beer is a superior product" and "I drink Kentucky deluxe because it tastes good". I'm pretty sure he's got a ounce of carbon and unburnt power in that can and less than an ounce of gray matter between his ears lol

I just pulled over an ounce of carbon (and whatever else) out of my SAS Arbiter Suppressor. It is a sealed depressor, and I had about 2000 rounds through it, without ever cleaning it. I used an ultrasonic cleaner (6 times) to remove it all. The can is noticeably quieter since the cleaning.

I finished load development on a tikka T3x 300WSM yesterday. Using Federal brass, Sierra 180SBT, RS Hunter powder, and CCI 250's. I loaded these to 2.976 OAL (jam is 2.996"), so I will need a magazine modification, but as loaded from the factory length barrel they were clocking 3050fps. I am shooting the factory barrel length that was threaded 1/2x28 and then with a 5/8x24 bushing going to a SiCo Omega 300. If you cut back to 20" I think you would still be 2850fps or better which is still 100fps faster than most 30-06's. I say go for it. If I were to do my rifle all over again I would still do a 300WSM versus the 300WM due to magazine length constrictions in the tikka. I would also cut the barrel back to 22" and thread.
That's good velocity right there!

I had a .300 WSM with a 17" barrel, and shot it suppresses it's entire life. It ran everything from 155 Scenars to 208 Amax at velocities I'd expect to see out of a 24" 30-06.

Quick note…. Make sure your suppressor can handle that kind of pressure, I've seen cans come apart on short barreled magnums.
My Omega 36M is rated down to 20" for 300WM.

For those that have gone the short-barrel route...are you using factory or aftermarket barrel? If aftermarket, what brand and contour?

Mine was a Kimber Montana, factory barrel cut to 17" and threaded 1/2x28. I used a 1/2x28-5/8x24 adapter to attach the can.

Im shooting a 18" 6.5 prc suppressed and I know it's a 300 WM, but my experience is it's great for me and I'm going to build another short rifle soon. Mine is built off of a Tikka action. My target is 200 yards and the wild shots are final site in.
394EBF81-4363-4D1C-9952-2A0A2BD1873D.jpegEFCB5633-1BB2-4A43-9189-58FB177500CE.jpeg

Shortly after buying two cases of off-spec 190 SMK Federal Gold Medal Match (you know...the Chris Kyle loads) at $100/case, I stumbled across a guy selling an unfired Tikka pencil (T3 Lite?) 300WM barrel (possibly because it had the dumb 1:11 twist).

My smith spun off my 270WSM and threaded the muzzle for my suppressor (but with the thin profile, had to use the 9/16 adapter) and marginally tightened up the headspace. I bought a long mag and the long(er) action bolt stop.

I compete in the precision rifle scene so that means I shoot a fair amount of ammo but it doesn't mean I am accustomed to or enjoy taking a beating shooting lightweight magnums. I was expecting this ultralight, Tupperware stocked, firebreather to be a painful means to an end in order to go elk hunting. And what kind of consistency could I get with this waste-of-my-time factory skinny barrel.

All I can say is, "WOW! WAS I WRONG!"

With the suppressor, this thing was A DREAM to shoot prone! Like two-boxes-prone-comfortable (easy). And, Holy Frijoles!!!... could this thing shoot!!! Like stoooopid accurate! See the attached pic while I was doing some waterline testing where the 3-shot group at 300 yards could probably be covered by a quarter! Almost did it again at A HALF MILE but the wind gusted. Love it in my McMillan stock.

Then decided to take it with to drop a muley doe.

My only complaints... I so badly wanted to shoot Berger VLDs but to get them to fit in the mag the bullets' ogives were nearly at top of the necks and they didn't like to jump that distance. I also wanted to shoot some heavies. The twist rate though was not going to let this happen.

So, if I wouldn't have had nearly free ammo and barrel, I would choose the 300WSM. With everything else working in my favor, I'll shoot this for a while.

Attachments

• 20201003_140522.jpg
    20201003_140522.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20201106_144314.jpg
    20201106_144314.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Shortly after buying two cases of off-spec 190 SMK Federal Gold Medal Match (you know...the Chris Kyle loads) at $100/case, I stumbled across a guy selling an unfired Tikka pencil (T3 Lite?) 300WM barrel (possibly because it had the dumb 1:11 twist).

My smith spun off my 270WSM and threaded the muzzle for my suppressor (but with the thin profile, had to use the 9/16 adapter) and marginally tightened up the headspace. I bought a long mag and the long(er) action bolt stop.

I compete in the precision rifle scene so that means I shoot a fair amount of ammo but it doesn't mean I am accustomed to or enjoy taking a beating shooting lightweight magnums. I was expecting this ultralight, Tupperware stocked, firebreather to be a painful means to an end in order to go elk hunting. And what kind of consistency could I get with this waste-of-my-time factory skinny barrel.

All I can say is, "WOW! WAS I WRONG!"

With the suppressor, this thing was A DREAM to shoot prone! Like two-boxes-prone-comfortable (easy). And, Holy Frijoles!!!... could this thing shoot!!! Like stoooopid accurate! See the attached pic while I was doing some waterline testing where the 3-shot group at 300 yards could probably be covered by a quarter! Almost did it again at A HALF MILE but the wind gusted.

Then decided to take it with to drop a muley doe.

My only complaints... I so badly wanted to shoot Berger VLDs but to get them to fit in the mag the bullets' ogives were nearly at top of didn't like to jump
Those Tikka barrels sure can shoot! Did you cut the 300WM barrel shorter, or run it at 24"?