Short Barrel Tikka 300WM (Supressed)?

Ranger260

After 5 years of trying out several factory through semi-custom rifles, I have come back full circle back to Tikka (have 4 now), and a smattering of other European rifles. I've been looking for a stainless T3x in 300WSM for several months unsuccessfully, but ended up buying a 300WM when I saw a good deal. In the meantime, I picked up a Silencerco 36M for this rifle.

My initial thought was to cut the 300WSM to 20 inches for elk hunting suppressed, using 200gr AB and Berger 200.20x bullets. I plan to use a Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x or take a Nightforce SHV 3-10x off another rifle. But since I now have a 300WM, I was wondering If I would be happy cutting it that short and whether the 300WM would shoot those bullets without having to seat them too deeply? A couple things to note here...1) barrel is the newer 1:10" twist 2) my suppressor is rated down to 20" minimum length for 300WM 3) I am not particularly recoil shy 4) I plan to shoot this rifle more often [practice] than the average hunter, but prefer not to take a beating any more than the next guy and 5) I have experience with other magnum rifles.

I thought I might just order a McGowen barrel to my specs, but I am reluctant to rebarrel a new rifle, when I could just cut/thread a 300WSM rifle and start shooting. Maybe I'm just cheap...lol! Unfortunately, the rumors I've heard are that vendors won't receive Tikkas until middle/end of summer. Are any of you running a Tikka 300WM suppressed with a short barrel?

Last edited:
My only hesitation would be whether or not the barrel (at 20") would have enough meat on it to be threaded to support a suppressor. Assuming it can be threaded properly, I say go for it! You definitely won't hate shooting/hunting suppressed.

I figured it would take a 1/2 or 9/16 thread, then throw a 5/8 adapter for the suppressor. Many don't recommend this, but seems many are doing this successfully.

Hoping someone that's done it chimes in. Was about to make this exact same post

If you were going to swap barrels from 300wm to a shorter threaded 300wm.....why not just have the new barrel chambered in 300wsm. It's on a tikka action right? I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the tikka 300wsm and 300wm are the same length of action with different bolt stops. You are gonna be down in 30-06 territory with a 20" 300wm but will be in a pretty happy place with a 300wsm at 20". You won't be setting any speed records with a 20" 300wm "not that you intended to or care to be" but with a short 300wsm you are not leaving as much speed on the table. I hunt with a guy who has a 18" 300wm in a ruger American. He loves the abomination and shoots it with a hyperion can 100% of the time. It's still very loud and recoils A LOT but he likes it. That rifle has a 1-8x lpvo if that tells you kinda what he uses it for. It's got "bacon blaster" wrote on the side with a paint marker lol

I only have a 300WM because I could not find a 300WSM Tikka Lite anywhere. I absolutely would be rebarreling to a 300WSM if I pull the factory barrel. The rumors I've heard are that we won't see more Tikkas until mid to late summer...which puts hunters behind the 8-ball to get loads worked up for fall hunts. So I was looking for info. on running a short 300WM with a suppressor, because that is now what I have.

That said, my reality is that I usually hunt heavy timber for elk and usually have shots of 100 yards or less. But I would like to be proficient at longer distance for other regions of Utah I plan to hunt as well as nearby non-resident hunting opportunities.

Last edited:
My buddy shoots only factory ammo out of his 18" 300wm. He's losing 200-230fps off the listed box velocities from what we've shot over the chrono. I'd be pretty sure in saying that his max velocity would be similar to a starting velocity in a 26" barrel. It's a hammer on big hogs under 200yds and I'd assume that with the right bullet it would work great as a "brush gun" for elk. I assume you want a shorter package so that it's easier to maneuver in thick cover?

Good information...thank you. I'm not necessarily looking to build a "brush gun" per se as I have other rifles to fill that role. But I generally carry my guns in-hand when hunting rather than shouldering. Shot opportunities generally don't allow enough time to pull a suppressor from my pack and install. The idea of carrying a rifle that now has a 30-inch plus barrel with a suppressor seems undesirable.

I wouldnt necessarily complain, since 30-06 has proven quite effective in our camp. I think 18" would neuter things a bit too much...thinking 20-21" would be the sweet spot.

I finished load development on a tikka T3x 300WSM yesterday. Using Federal brass, Sierra 180SBT, RS Hunter powder, and CCI 250's. I loaded these to 2.976 OAL (jam is 2.996"), so I will need a magazine modification, but as loaded from the factory length barrel they were clocking 3050fps. I am shooting the factory barrel length that was threaded 1/2x28 and then with a 5/8x24 bushing going to a SiCo Omega 300. If you cut back to 20" I think you would still be 2850fps or better which is still 100fps faster than most 30-06's. I say go for it. If I were to do my rifle all over again I would still do a 300WSM versus the 300WM due to magazine length constrictions in the tikka. I would also cut the barrel back to 22" and thread.