Short Barrel (20”) 300WSM Question

20" 300 WSM, defiance rebel XM with Bartlein #3 barrel,
suppressed with TBAC Ultra 7 30.
Haven't shot any handloads but the Norma factory 180 bondstrike was 2,910 fps
So I'd think 2,800 with a 190 would be possible.

How do you like those? I bought a couple boxes recently.

I have a 20-in 300wsm built on a Surgeon WSM round action with a Wyatt's magazine box. I'm pushing a 168 TSX at a modest 2920 fps. No suppressor. Really like this combo all the way around but admittedly have not tackled heavy game or long range yet.

Is 20" about the shortest you can go w/ long action magnum, or is 22" considered worth the extra length? i know its somewhat of a generic question.
USA man you can go as short as 16.5 and full send it ha ha .. most suppressors though are not created equal and i would dare too say that 90% of the "Magnum" rated cans wont handle the pressures of a 16.5" 300 WSM or win mag! hell most of them barely do it on a 26" barrel

on any given cartridge basically rule of thumb is 25-40 fps from what I've seen per inch of barrel! given specs are all the same from start too finish

well can do and should do i think are separate in this case. right?

i have a hybrid and a 30p-1 that are 'supposed' to be rated for that. but i havent ever tested it.

I just got a 22" 300WSM barrel and I have some N560 with 215g. Hopefully I'll get enough speed before pressure shows up. Going to start load work up in next few weeks.

Has anyone on here had a short barrel 300wsm? I'm rebarreling a rifle and want to go with a 20-22" barrel. I want to shoot 190vlds or 200eldx and get 2800fps or better. Do you think this is feasible? Thanks.
I cut my tikka barrel to 21 inches and shoot with my harvester. I have a 190 ABLR going 2905. And a 185 Berger Classic Hunter going 2998. This thing is very accurate.

Recent Posts