20" 300wsm?

I have a 16 inch 300 wsm. I am launching the 180 gr barnes at 2950-3000 fps using rl26. Granted I'm hot rodding it at those speeds, but the brass is lasting still and it passed the rain test. Shot in a down pour on opening day and smoked a buck, no pressure issues lol.
RL26 is king
do u mind sharing that load?
Norma brass, large rifle fed GM match primer, 180 gr barnes tsx, and 71.5 of RL-26
sounds like a winner!

Next project in the shop is my 300 WSM in AR10. 20 inch barrel. Sourced the magnum BCG, SAAMI reamer, upper/lower, kits and furniture on hand.

Deciding on barrel and twist.

If any of y'all have any input on gas gun 300 WSM, please chime in. Years ago AMU did some work on the Remington cartridge version in gas guns, they came up with all the right reasons why the Remington is a the better option.... but, I have the W reamer and brass, and none of the Remington.

Nothing wrong with it, I run a 22" wsm. If running 180+ gr bullets rl26 will give the best speeds. Keep an eye on for the new ADG wsm brass, and that'll likely hide enough pressure to run the same speeds as a 2-3" longer barrel.
I was thinking RL26 would be good for the 300 WSM and 180s but can't find load data for it. It is for my 7MMWSM. Can you share some?

Next project in the shop is my 300 WSM in AR10. 20 inch barrel. Sourced the magnum BCG, SAAMI reamer, upper/lower, kits and furniture on hand.

If any of y'all have any input on gas gun 300 WSM, please chime in. Years ago AMU did some work on the Remington cartridge version in gas guns, they came up with all the right reasons why the Remington is a the better option.... but, I have the W reamer and brass, and none of the Remington.
I imagine you will have some feeding issues. Your best bet for mags is probably a ASC mag because it will give you the longest COAL (2.850- 2.860) Not sure if you will need a custom follower or not. but I am sure you will have to play with the mag feed lips or whatever they are called.
Someone makes a 300wsm ar10 might want to buy mags from them.

KAK industries used to sell a 300wsm AR upper. Might look there to start with.

Last edited:
I imagine you will have some feeding issues. Your best bet for mags is probably a ASC mag because it will give you the longest COAL (2.850- 2.860) Not sure if you will need a custom follower or not. but I am sure you will have to play with the mag feed lips or whatever they are called.
Someone makes a 300wsm ar10 might want to buy mags from them.
Thanks, I am using ASC mags on my current AR10s.

It will be an interesting project this winter.

I cannot give any real advice other than to say I have InterArms 98 Mauser action Manlicher ( spelling ) stocked ,in 30-06 with a 20 Inch barrel. It was always my Maine and New York State woods gun. I like it a lot with a Leupold VX 3 in 1.5 to 5 X loaded with a 165 GK. Plenty for deer, at 50 to 70 yards in the woods. Loud? yes!! Kick? Yes!! Fast and Handy YES!!!!

I cannot give any real advice other than to say I have InterArms 98 Mauser action Manlicher ( spelling ) stocked ,in 30-06 with a 20 Inch barrel. It was always my Maine and New York State woods gun. I like it a lot with a Leupold VX 3 in 1.5 to 5 X loaded with a 165 GK. Plenty for deer, at 50 to 70 yards in the woods. Loud? yes!! Kick? Yes!! Fast and Handy YES!!!!
I'm surprised it took that long to mention how loud it would be. I'd have zero interest in that much powder and that short of a barrel. To each their own though.

I ended up with a 7mm WSM with a 20" barrel for a time. I guess my experience there would apply here.

I didn't have any hesitation shooting, using packing it etc. worked just fine. I am not overly conserved with velocity though, and I thought I could have gotten more out of it with more barrel, but I guess you give some get some in all things.

My only other comment…it was loud AF.

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with a 20" barrel on a 300 wsm? I am considering it for a woods/midrange gun.
Woods and midrange 20" inch? I think I'd put a little meat on that bullet, in the way of caliber, for your powder volume. It is woods and midrange as you said. Just my 0.2 Cheers.