Short and simple

Shortaction

Here's the deal currently hunting with a 26" 300wm with a silencerco omega. It is awesome but like carrying a pool cue around. I'm thinking an 18" lightweight build. The big question is what caliber??? Only looking to perform out to 400yds on medium to large game. Thanks

Here's the deal currently hunting with a 26" 300wm with a silencerco omega. It is awesome but like carrying a pool cue around. I'm thinking an 18" lightweight build. The big question is what caliber??? Only looking to perform out to 400yds on medium to large game. Thanks
Depending on what you are hunting the 6.5mm tactical cartridges come to mind along with the 6.8SPC.

The 6.5x47L is especially well suited to shorter barrel lengths due to it's low case capacity. The 6.5SAUM stands out as well but has considerably more case capacity. With the short barrel you'd want to use the fastest burning powder that will give you good accuracy and acceptable pressures.

+1 and can have threaded for your suppressor too.

"I" would consider a .375 Ruger for the large game as well.

Cheers!
I have a 20" barrel on my Hawkeye Alaskan .375Ruger and that's plenty even shooting 300gr bullets. It really shines though with the 250gr GMX and 270gr Interlock. Surprisingly it's become one of my all time favorite rifles too.

This isn't really a recommendation but more of my thoughts as I have been mulling over a similar question. My .243 Win with 100 gr bullets has been doing really well on deer and has enough energy (IMO) for deer out to 500 yards. I was thinking of rebarreling to a tighter twist and 20" barrel to shoot the 115 gr. bullets or going to the 6.5 in 130 gr. The 115gr 6mm as the same BC as the 130 gr. 6.5 but the 6.5 bullet options have better construction which would help on elk sized game. I'm still on the fence as I feel that lighter bullets going faster have less felt recoil than larger bullet. I'm leaning toward the 6mm but am looking for more terminal performance on the 115gr VLD's.

Attachments

• 6_5-creed-bbl-length-and-velocity- 2.png
    6_5-creed-bbl-length-and-velocity- 2.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 69
  • cutting-the-6_5-creed-barrel.jpg
    cutting-the-6_5-creed-barrel.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 76
Yes that is a good article and I've found several that also come to the same conclusion.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts