Simple Question 6.5 to 2000yds

Jkslvr

Simple question and some options.
I have a lot of data and research but just want some more weigh in

Best 6.5 cal/wildcat or not to reach 2000-2300 yards. Paper shooting not hunting.

Thanks evening for the input.
I think I know what way I am going but don't want to miss something haha

Best 6.5 cal/wildcat or not to reach 2000-2300 yards. Paper shooting not hunting.

I would start with the 260 Remington and go up from there in powder/case capacity.

2000 + yards is a push for most 6.5s even on paper. The 260 Rem will push a 140 gr bullet around 2730 ft/sec velocity and the 264 Winchester will do just over 3000 ft/sec. Most others are in between these two or well below the 260 Rem The 6.5 284 is at 2690 ft/sec so it is very close to the 260 Rem.

The 264 Win mag is one of the hottest factory loadings but barrel life will suffer compared to the 260
and the possibility of using 308 cases and 7/08 in the event of brass shortages enhances its usability.

Again 2000 + yards is a long distance for the 6.5 unless conditions are near perfect In my opinion.
But they are great for 1000 yard shooting.

I would recommend a big 7mm, 30 magnum or a 338 for 2000 + yard shooting, even on paper.

J E CUSTOM

Must be a typo on the 6.5 -284 as push I 140 VLD out of a 26" barrel at 2977, and I push a 160 matrix at 2657 !!

26 Nosler looks pretty hot could push a 160 Matrix and get your desired 2K target.

I have been considering 6.5-285. Max range I could get out of it. Something to grow into with some long range fun.

Been reading up on the 6.5 Sherman lately, Wildcat made by a member here Elkaholic, looks like it does everything a 6.5x284 does and then some, and with better barrel life. Members here have gotten 3300 fps with the 140 grain bullets.

Hopefully Rich will chime in. Can't wait to get ahold of one.

I'm with J.E. I would use 7mm as a minimum for 2,000 yards unless you have a nice background with a lot of dust or a rockface even for target shooting. Mainly due to the fact that it will be extremely hard to spot shots. A 140gr bullet won't make much of a splash at that distance.

I would recommend a big 7mm, 30 magnum or a 338 for 2000 + yard shooting, even on paper.

Ditto!

lightbulbPerhaps you should share your research/data and weigh in from there instead.lightbulb

Also, this might be better served in the ELR sub-forum.

Last edited:
Must be a typo on the 6.5 -284 as push I 140 VLD out of a 26" barrel at 2977, and I push a 160 matrix at 2657 .

Sorry , no typo. just the recommended max load per SAMME.

I can believe that. But when comparing cartridges I go with maximum recommended loads with the same weight bullets to get a good apples to apples comparison.

A re-loader can exceed these velocities and often does but may exceed the SAMME pressures and have a longer barrel so comparing one rifle against another will not tell you much.

I pushed a 140 over 3800 in a special built 7mm STW , But would not recommend it because of the problems and bullet performance (400 ft/sec faster than recommended).

Sticking with SAMME max pressures is the best way to compare cartridges in my opinion and does not reflect the rifles final velocity.

Just saying.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts