Short 300 win mag problems

Dman19d

Hello all,
I am on the second barrel in trying to get a 300 win mag at 18 inches to shoot somewhat decent, the two barrels I have had, are simply put, awful.
For what it has cost me, I should have bought a Remington take off and paid someone to do load development.
Has anyone tried a short 300 win mag? 178 Hornady eld-m factory and federal premium 200 eld-x have shot 3-4 inch groups (or worse) at 100 yards.
Waiting to hear back from the company, until then, just curious if you folks have tried one.
Thanks!

Never had great luck with crap factory ammo. If its consistent groups try a handload or two and see if you can tighten it up, also see if it groups without suppressor .. I have seen cans that simply will not shoot good, contrary to popular belief all cans are not created equal.
Done plenty of short 300 mags, 300 ultra, 30 noslers, 300 prc's and 300 wsm's and they will shoot tiny groups.
Most will shoot a 180gr bullet faster in an 18-20" than a 26" 308 ever thought of shooting them, so I guess there is that. :cool:

Last edited:
I doubt factory ammo would shoot worth a darn. Maybe try some faster buring powders - taking all the necessary precautions of course. The usual/factory 300WM loads are not going to have a snowball's chance to burn all that powder in only 18". I'm certain someone here has a recipe or two they'd share.

I doubt factory ammo would shoot worth a darn. Maybe try some faster buring powders - taking all the necessary precautions of course. The usual/factory 300WM loads are not going to have a snowball's chance to burn all that powder in only 18". I'm certain someone here has a recipe or two they'd share.
I'd like to see one fire about 10 min before or after sunrise/set...it wouldn't be one heck of a flame in an 18 in tube and all for nothing...

I'd like to see one fire about 10 min before or after sunrise/set...it wouldn't be one heck of a flame in an 18 in tube and all for nothing...
Yeah, fire that thing in the evening. Probably be picked up as a missle launch from one of those spy satellites in low earth orbit. Might cause a bit of a ruckus tho...

we chopped a few 300wm barrels down to the 20" range for folks who got cans and wanted their guns to be more manageable. Shot Norma, Barnes and a few others maybe Sako and Winchester all between 150-200gr.
all of them grouped well with most things except the Winchester.