Load development problems. Ruger 300 win

coych

Hey guys, I am having mixed reactions with today's load development and I am hoping someone can help me figure this out. The gun is a ruger m77 hawkeye, 300 win mag. Shooting winchester brass, berger 185s, retumbo, and federal 215m primers, loaded to 3.400 OAL. After testing 8 different loads the max load as per Bergers manual of 79.5 gr shot the best with an SD of 6. Shooting at 100 yards with about a 7-8 mph crosswind. The group confused me. Elevation was spot on all 3 shots but they all 3 varied right around 1" total left to right. Can a wind that low really push those bullets that much at 100 yards? I find it hard to believe but I've been known to be incorrect at times. Also, all 3 shots felt solid as I pulled the trigger. If anyone has some wisdom to share with me I'd like to hear it. If I have to do more load development than so be it but I don't want to be chasing my tail over this if it's not needed. I plan to use this gun to reliably shoot out to 700-800 yards max so that's where I'm trying to get. Thank you.

I plugged some rough numbers into the G7 ballistic calculator at the top of the page, and 0.4 inches is roughly your wind.

A cross wind of 8mph is more than you think. If you subtract HarperC's 0.4" from your 1" that is a 1/2 MOA group which is pretty good. That's why wind and not distance is often the limiting factor on long shots.

KB

Wow thanks for all your help guys. I'm heading out of town here soon to get its first long range shots through it. It's calm here today so it should be a great day for shooting!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.