300 win mag

I agree with the H1000 posts. I'm shooting an AR30A1 from Armalite and for some reason both it and my AR30A1338 Lapua like hotter loads. On the 300WM I load 78.4 gr of H1000, 215 Magnum Match primers and seated .001 off the lands. I spent a great deal of time testing Retumbo (whi h I use in the 338Lapua) but I couldn't duplicate the H1000 results. That combination has yielded multiple sub .2 moa groups at 100 yds. At 1000 yds on a 12 inch ar500 target it easily groups sub moa with 208 Amax (i know), 210 noslers and 212 eld's. My load is my load, but finding my oal on the lands and working from there helps me better when workin up loads on a new rifle. Watch for pressure signs and work up in tight grain increments when you're close. I chased "velocities" of others but it took longer to find my own accuracy nodes. For me, accuracy is number 1. My velocity is 2850 fps on a 24" barrel. Good luck.

I'll start by saying I don't know much at all about reloading and getting a gun to shoot well by finding its sweet spot with which powder or amount of... or seating depth, etc, etc.

But from my reading and learning all I can on this site, and I may be way off here, but doesn't the Xbolt HC have a 1:10 twist and doesn't most sat that too shoot the heavier bullets you need a faster twist???
No one above seemed to mention this, so maybe I'm wrong in this assumption.

I read through the thread, and you have a bunch of good suggestions. One thing that hasn't been asked is about the shooter. Are you capable of shooting a magnum accurately? I know when I first jumped into my win mag I sucked with it.

Hi guys
I've been trying to work up a load for my Browning xbolt hells canyon 300 win mag using either the 212 eldx or 215 Berger high bred All I've done up to this point is burn up a good amount of powder with no real decent groups. Any help on a starting point

Hey,
I shoot long with a Tikka Hunter 300 WM. It's a little odd, 11 twist, long throat with a short magazine... so I end up jumping my bullets 0.100. Sounds like a lot of jump doesn't it. I have found that if I build very concentric ammo e.g. 0.5-2 thousandths it goes right down the spout very well. I can't load the long for caliber bullets like I wish to so I have had to settle for the 185 grain Berger Classic Hunter. For the time being I settled on a load that runs on H1000 79.0 grains at about 2865. At some point I intend upon working it up to the next node but for now I can just be happy about plopping 3 holes generally on top of one another at 100 yds. If I ever miss a deer with that rifle my buds will be all over me....
20151106_172745[1].jpg 20151007[1].jpg 20151026[1].jpg

Good luck in your endeavor, if you get it figured out please let us know about it...
Tens

I read through the thread, and you have a bunch of good suggestions. One thing that hasn't been asked is about the shooter. Are you capable of shooting a magnum accurately? I know when I first jumped into my win mag I sucked with it.
Good valid question. And the answer is I can shoot. Just having or had some troubles finding a load that would work with the 1:8 twist. I've gotten some really good info and I do believe I've found a load that will work

Hey,
I shoot long with a Tikka Hunter 300 WM. It's a little odd, 11 twist, long throat with a short magazine... so I end up jumping my bullets 0.100. Sounds like a lot of jump doesn't it. I have found that if I build very concentric ammo e.g. 0.5-2 thousandths it goes right down the spout very well. I can't load the long for caliber bullets like I wish to so I have had to settle for the 185 grain Berger Classic Hunter. For the time being I settled on a load that runs on H1000 79.0 grains at about 2865. At some point I intend upon working it up to the next node but for now I can just be happy about plopping 3 holes generally on top of one another at 100 yds. If I ever miss a deer with that rifle my buds will be all over me....
View attachment 132288 View attachment 132295 View attachment 132297

Good luck in your endeavor, if you get it figured out please let us know about it...
Tens
I've got a load that shoots .72 groups right now My very last test loads now I'm gonna take that and tweek it so that it. Hopefully shoots three on top of themselves. So things are looking up

I've got a load that shoots .72 groups right now My very last test loads now I'm gonna take that and tweek it so that it. Hopefully shoots three on top of themselves. So things are looking up

.72 is on the way... I know you're looking for under 0.5. I should say that I also work my brass over as much as anyone. I anneal after every load, thin the case necks if they need it, bump the shoulder with a full length sizing die only when it needs it, trim when they need it to the same length, clean my cases after at least every 2 firings, chamfer the case mouths, and clean and uniform the primer pockets. I don't weight sort my brass. Also use Norma brass and BR-2 primers for the 300 WM load. I use Lapua brass for some other loads for other rifles with the same or better results. The best one that I posted is .21 moa but I have other rifles that do in the teens. I don't pay anyone to work over my rifles, I do that myself without the benefit of a lathe or sophisticated tools. You get out of them what you put into them and it pays to be anal about these things. I use all of my rifles for hunting and I do not compete. Wish I had more time to fiddle with these things cause it is fun to see good results... and the looks on most of the guys faces at the gun club when they see my targets. Post your results...
shot_1464742971430[1].jpg
Tens

.72 is on the way... I know you're looking for under 0.5. I should say that I also work my brass over as much as anyone. I anneal after every load, thin the case necks if they need it, bump the shoulder with a full length sizing die only when it needs it, trim when they need it to the same length, clean my cases after at least every 2 firings, chamfer the case mouths, and clean and uniform the primer pockets. I don't weight sort my brass. Also use Norma brass and BR-2 primers for the 300 WM load. I use Lapua brass for some other loads for other rifles with the same or better results. The best one that I posted is .21 moa but I have other rifles that do in the teens. I don't pay anyone to work over my rifles, I do that myself without the benefit of a lathe or sophisticated tools. You get out of them what you put into them and it pays to be anal about these things. I use all of my rifles for hunting and I do not compete. Wish I had more time to fiddle with these things cause it is fun to see good results... and the looks on most of the guys faces at the gun club when they see my targets. Post your results...
View attachment 132327
Tens
I could have written this post! I work hard at developing the most accurate load that is continuously repeatable. I shoot in the wind, rain, hot or freezing rain. I like to know how the elements affect the shot. The result of spending this time is 1 shot 1 kill regardless of distance. 714 yd heart shot on a white tail is my longest. She was knocked over sideways in a side flip. The confidence of taking that shot is a direct result of testing a d developing a good, tight and repeatable load. That same load shot the following group at 100 yds. All 3 shots even measured the exact same velocities. I actually thought the chrono wasn't working. Good luck. When you're finished testing, test some more, but have FUN doing it. The steel is 3 shots at 500 yds. The cardboard measured max variance of .09 inches. FB_IMG_1556510225255.jpg FB_IMG_1556510443402.jpg FB_IMG_1556510225255.jpg FB_IMG_1556510443402.jpg

3 powders work for me in 3 hunting rifles and 3 target barrels.
RE25 gets the highest velocities and very good groups for me with 180-200gr bullets.
RETUMBO gets the highest velocities with 210-230's and H1000 gets lower velocities but the best accuracy for my target shooting, closely followed by RETUMBO.
This is not to say RE25 is the worst for accuracy, in fact it gives the best accuracy with 180gr Accubonds in 2 of my 300's.
Supreme 780 is also a very good powder, this is what is in factory Winchester ammo, albeit a blended version known as 785.

As to accuracy, have you done a seating depth test yet?
If not, thus may be your issue, you haven't found the 'sweet spot for your bullet.
Go to the Berger site and follow their seating depth test.

All the best with it. The 300WM is one of the most accurate rounds out there, you WILL find a load that shoots tiny groups.

Cheers.

Oddly, Winchester discontinued the 780 Supreme almost as fast as they introduced it. Didn't even get a chance to try it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.