300 win mag

gunner1stclass

So the current plan to elk hunt with this year in Wyoming is my 300 win mag I've been shooting Nosler 175s and they shoot great but I'm not sure they're the best bullet for hunting. I've got some 165 grain TSX boat tails from Barnes And I've got some 212 grain ELDX I guess I also have a large quantity of 165 green sierra game, kings just looking for thoughts and comments on these bullets. Obviously the bullet that shoots best will have an edge, but is there a reason to go with one over the other? I Don't expect any shots over 600 yards . And I don't know that it matters much, but I will be hunting in West Wyoming somewhere around 8000 feet.

I am very unabashed in my belief in Barnes Bullets (most monos for that matter)….especially at the ranges you have given! We've been using Barnes since the early '90's. I was convinced back then that they were the best……and their bullets have only gotten better over the years!

That said, if "your" rifle shoots equal to or very closely to the others mentioned ……for myself it's a "no contest" win for the Barnes TSX BT! 😉 Heck, for myself if the Barnes is within 1/2" to 5/8" in group sizes to the others…..I wouldn't consider anything else but the Barnes! memtb

I personally wouldn't use a target bullet for hunting, and some of the others you mentioned would be a better choice IMO.

I will say there are some that will use target bullets for hunting, but it's not me.

There isn't a best bullet, as you will get dozens of opinions, but most modern bullets made for hunting big game will work well for you. On that note, some of the old bullets such as interlock or partition still do just as well as they did a few decades ago, and there is a reason they are still popular today.

Of all you list, for me, and I have 5 hunting 300WM rifles, the only option is the 165g TSX, which I think are a bit light for Elk…
Personally, have tested CC pills on game, do not recommend them as some expand and others don't.
I run 210g ABLR and 200g Accubonds for game the size of elk. The 212g ELDX will most likely work, but I can't stand bullets that feed all the lead into the expanding nose and lose weight as they penetrate…

Cheers.

When is your hunt? Do you have enough time to learn the actual ballistics( not what something or someone is saying) before your hunt? If you don't have the time stay with what you know? If you have the time switch to Barnes and maybe go with a heavier bullet

Archery hunt all of Sept. rifle hunt in October. I will shoot all bullets out to 800 just for verification.

I made the mistake of using the CC Noslers last year no expansion but a good shot so the elk dropped fast

I was a little concerned about the Barnes at 165, this seams a little on the light side but i have a good stock so I was looking for someones real world experience with this bullet.

The 165 GK has killed lots of deer here again looking for people with experience on elk with this bullet

Thanks in advance!
Bob

Archery hunt all of Sept. rifle hunt in October. I will shoot all bullets out to 800 just for verification.

I made the mistake of using the CC Noslers last year no expansion but a good shot so the elk dropped fast

I was a little concerned about the Barnes at 165, this seams a little on the light side but i have a good stock so I was looking for someones real world experience with this bullet.

The 165 GK has killed lots of deer here again looking for people with experience on elk with this bullet

Thanks in advance!
Bob

I too (just my personal feelings) see the 165 as a bit light! But, many people use lighter bullets when going mono…..often much lighter. Barnes makes pretty strong suggestions that you can go substantially lighter than with typical cup and core! That said……I think that they will work quite well for you!

As I said, I like to stay at typically seen weights with my monos …..even though they are a bit slower at the start.

My only personal experiences with what I consider "light for caliber" bullets was using a 250 grain TTSX in my .375 AI. It performed quite well on game ranging from antelope to elk…..I think that everything was a one shot kill.….some never moved after being hit! memtb

375 AI on speed goats ..... well I guess that's making sure you use enough gun, was there anything left🤣

Actually I've taken several with it….the "only" time I had a large wound exit was one a late evening shot, misjudged the distance and hit right at the top of the shoulde. The offside exit, yes it exited 😁, was about the size of an open hand! It blew a lot of shoulder blade through the hide!

Almost everything I've taken with my .375's had less tissue damage and much less bloodshot meat than did a shot from a 270 Win. or 300 mag. with shots of less than a couple hundred yards!

The AI did cause more bloodshot meat on short range shots than did my old H&H, but once the ranges exceeded a couple hundred yards….tissue damage and bloodshot meat was minimal. The ole timers used to say that "you could eat right up to the hole"…..it wasn't quite that minimal, but certainly not bad! memtb

Actually I've taken several with it….the "only" time I had a large wound exit was one a late evening shot, misjudged the distance and hit right at the top of the shoulde. The offside exit, yes it exited 😁, was about the size of an open hand! It blew a lot of shoulder blade through the hide!

Almost everything I've taken with my .375's had less tissue damage and much less bloodshot meat than did a shot from a 270 Win. or 300 mag. with shots of less than a couple hundred yards!

The AI did cause more bloodshot meat on short range shots than did my old H&H, but once the ranges exceeded a couple hundred yards….tissue damage and bloodshot meat was minimal. The ole timers used to say that "you could eat right up to the hole"…..it wasn't quite that minimal, but certainly not bad! memtb
I am just joking🤣 people used to make fun of me when I was hunting little Texas deer with 300WBY! I never had to look for mine. DRT! More often than not we had to look for theirs