Short 300 win mag problems

Which seems like more of a headache than it's worth in this case. I'll stick to my 26" Sendero with a brake. Bagged an elk this year, so I guess the old stuff still works.
Ever put a 8" suppressor on a 26" barrel? It's super convenient to carry. It only catches on everything in the woods. I still like 24" and 26" barrels on the unsuppressed stuff but even 22" isn't real convenient with a suppressor. Nothing wrong with chopping them short!

If the scope switch doesn't pan out, I'll have to find a better ear pro than the basic plugs I've used the last couple years.
Anyone have in ear options that they like?

I would never cut a 300 Win Mag to 18".I have four of them,two with 24" barrels,two with 26" barrels.Velocity is noticeably higher with the longer barrels.As great as the 300 Win Mag is,it is not an efficient cartridge in the powder department.The other issue with the 300 Win Mag is it's such a long cartridge,some mag boxes are too short to take full advantage of the bullet seating depth.I would look at a different cartridge for my build if I was doing a magnum 30 cal built on a 18" barrel.If your only shooting factory stuff,the 300WSM would be a better choice in the shorter barrel.It's going to burn about ten grains less powder per max load,so there is one advantage.You could even go with a little longer barrel and still end up with the same overall length that the rifle would have been built on a long action.

So accuracy is poor from barrel + suppressor. Is it equally as poor without the suppressor?
Way to go, trying to be constructive.

OP, barrel length by virtue of itself isn't your problem. There is something else going on here. I'm interested in the answer to comfishermans questions. There could be a problem with the barrel, but 2 in a row is suspect. And a very light baffle strike could go completely un-noticed.

I would never cut a 300 Win Mag to 18".I have four of them,two with 24" barrels,two with 26" barrels.Velocity is noticeably higher with the longer barrels.As great as the 300 Win Mag is,it is not an efficient cartridge in the powder department.The other issue with the 300 Win Mag is it's such a long cartridge,some mag boxes are too short to take full advantage of the bullet seating depth.I would look at a different cartridge for my build if I was doing a magnum 30 cal built on a 18" barrel.If your only shooting factory stuff,the 300WSM would be a better choice in the shorter barrel.It's going to burn about ten grains less powder per max load,so there is one advantage.You could even go with a little longer barrel and still end up with the same overall length that the rifle would have been built on a long action.
this

Way to go, trying to be constructive.

OP, barrel length by virtue of itself isn't your problem. There is something else going on here. I'm interested in the answer to comfishermans questions. There could be a problem with the barrel, but 2 in a row is suspect. And a very light baffle strike could go completely un-noticed.

I'm trying.... beginning to wonder if there is a barrel lengthening tool I'm unaware of... barrels been cut, done deal.

While not probable that two will exhibit the same issue equally, I've seen genuine goofs from stand up companies. We're all human, sometimes it happens.

You line of thinking about suppressor issues would be where my attention would go. Given some of the recent threads around the net of out of spec cans it's plausible its introducing the issue.

Agreed. I'd put my $ there or on the scope. That's two components that could cause a problem that big AND it sounds like those were two common components between both barrels.

The other question I have is what did you do with the first barrel and is there enough shank for a rechamber on it? I'm in "need" of a shorty 30 cal barrel lol.

If the scope switch doesn't pan out, I'll have to find a better ear pro than the basic plugs I've used the last couple years.
Anyone have in ear options that they like?

I am a fan of Otopro (https://otoprotechnologies.com/). They are not cheap, but neither are hearing aids, which you will eventually need if you shoot braked rifles with just plugs or without them at all. If you don't believe that, you are deluding yourself.

Yep full on rebarrel, carbon wrapped from a reputable company with suppressor

For the next one, I would recommend going with a non-carbon wrapped barrel. Of all of the issues that I have seen personally and read about on various forums, more people have issues with short carbon barrels than any others. It may be a numbers thing (i.e. more people go carbon for short barrels and therefore even though the ratio is the same, the numbers are greater). It may not be. I do know that all of my short barrels, including my 21" 300WM barrel are heavy sporter contours that have been fluted and they all shoot great.

Also, you never did tell us what scope/mounts and what suppressor you are using.