Shilen Match Grade or Kreiger

adamsoa

I'm working on putting together my first custom rifle—a .338 Lapua. I just ordered a Stiller TAC 338 action with the bottom metal. I'm now looking at barrels. My gunsmith likes Shilen Match Grade or Kreiger. Any advice on either of these barrels?

I'm thinking of going with a HS Precision Stock and already have a Timney Single Stage Trigger.

I have a Shilen Select Match barrel on my 7stw and it shoots great, but the others say Kreiger so you have to give them serious weight in your decision. Part of my decision on the Shilen was build speed... We went from parts to rifle in under 1 month. Most barrels are a rather long wait time at present (especially if you want something a bit different), but Midway had my 8" twist 7mm in stock so I went with it.

I have used Shilens on several rifles and been happy with them. I tend to use Shilens on more budget-minded builds and/or because they can sometimes be more easily available. I have heard more than one knowledgeable gunsmith voice dislike and distrust of Shilen barrels, so that is worth considering.

I have Krieger barrels on two of my rifles. They are excellent barrels.

In your case, you spent the money on a custom action. Going with a known top-level barrel maker, like Krieger or Bartlein, makes more sense in this scenario.

moring, I have heard nothing but good about shilen select match barrels. I have a 32"

shilen select match SS #7 varmit straight contour barrel in 338 for sale. the barrel

will finish to 30". I waited 10months to get this barrel. I am building a 7mm Weatherby

instead. if u r interested the price is $450 shipped.

[email protected]

210-658-8135

For that action, you need a barrel with a 1.350" breech diameter. Bugholes has a few Bartlein barrels that size.

I have a Shilen on one of my 30-06 and other a Bartlein and same gunsmith chamber each and used same reamer. Both are good barrels and I do give gunsmith credit for both rifles and it was his suggest on those barrels.

I'm working on putting together my first custom rifle—a .338 Lapua. I just ordered a Stiller TAC 338 action with the bottom metal. I'm now looking at barrels. My gunsmith likes Shilen Match Grade or Kreiger. Any advice on either of these barrels?

I'm thinking of going with a HS Precision Stock and already have a Timney Single Stage Trigger.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

+1 for the shilen select match. Put one on a 340 weatherby that I built. I also have a kreiger that I put on a 220 swift build. The shilen seems higher quality to me. WAY easier to clean. Bore looks smoother. Not sure how much of that is just the chambering, but ultimately I would go for the Shilen.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.