.308 shilen select match

JOSE A. MARINE

I own one of this barrels, but it has a twist of 1:12 and would like to know if its worth chambering it in 300 WSM?

which would be the limit on bullet weight?

or should I chamber it for the old venerable 308 win.?

please help with your experience.

thanks
JOE

The 1-12 will shoot the 190gr Sierra Match King out of a 308 accurately. The chambering depends on what your wanting to do with it and what action your building on. A 300WSM set up and chambered to shoiot the 175gr Berger VLD would make a good long range deer gun and paper gun.

I just had a 1/12 lilja chambered for the 300 wsm. Should be fun to shoot with the 168vld. Bergers site says 1/12 will stabilize the up to the 190 vld.

The 1-12 WSM will definitely shoot the FB and VLD 190s with zero problems.

Some guns have shot amazing groups with 210 Bergers in 1-12s also. Depends on the length and mftr of the barrel sometimes.

There are a couple guys running 187 FB out of equivalent cases for 1k with a 1-14 twist with great groups.

BH

My 12 twist barrel shoots the 190 SMK's excellent.......I think that would be about as heavy as I would go with that twist rate. Alot of it depends on what bullet you plan on shooting.

thanks guys...

I have a rem 721 and a rem 700 for future projects, both are long actions but only one is a magnum(721). I dont mind the long action on a short chambering, but just planning what to do...

how about the 1:12 for a 300 rum? I`ll just hunt deer with it. so if 190 grainers are max, I´m O.K.

thanks guys..
Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.