Shilen Select match barrel

257scramjet

I have a savage 116 rifle in 300 win magnum and am going to swap the barrel to 264 win mag so i can still use the same magazines. I am thinking of ordering it in a 30" barrel threaded for a muzzle brake if i so choose to, How good are the shilen select match barrels?

thanks

The last Shilen Select Match barrel I bought, 7-8 yrs ago, had a 1 1/2" length of rifling that had tool marks (viewed with HawkEye bore scope). I don't pay extra for barrels with tool marks. They lost me as a customer.

I have a Shilen Select Match they chambered for me in 7RSAUM, it shoots real well. Borescoped it with a hawkeye broke it in. Borescoped it before and after cleaning, barrel was in fine shape. I sent it out to MMI TRUTEC and had it treated, it came back, I screwed it on and shot it, won a 1000 yard match.I may be putting that barrel and accessories up for sale simply because I never shoot it and the round count is low. (225)

For me the proof is in the shooting. My 7stw wears a 8" twist 27" Shilen select match #5 contour barrel. She shoots 1" groups at 200 yards all day long and if the conditions are great ( and the shooter is on), she may just slip down to about 1/2" at 200. I've got about 250 rounds on this barrel. She cleans easy too.
I plan on buying a 30 cal. #5 contour select match to re-barrel my lh bdl 300rum when she finally dies; she is in her death throws not and it's only a couple of hundred shots 'till she goes south for good.

That 6mm with the tool marks shoots very well, it strips copper over those tool maks very well, too. That's about all tool marks are good for, collecting bullet jacket. Accuracy starts going down hill in 6-7 rounds. I don't have that problem with any Harts/Kriegers/Bartliens/Brux barrels that I've used. I don't find tool marks in any of them. After a short 'break-in', any of those settle in and a 60rd. LR Sporting Rifle Match can be fired without cleaning. That 6mm Shilen had 75rds. down it when I sold it (for a reduced price because of the tool marks). The new owner has another 350 rds. through it, and it still has the marks and fouls in the same place with the same result, degrading accuracy in less than 10rds.

That 6mm with the tool marks shoots very well, it strips copper over those tool maks very well, too. That's about all tool marks are good for, collecting bullet jacket. Accuracy starts going down hill in 6-7 rounds. I don't have that problem with any Harts/Kriegers/Bartliens/Brux barrels that I've used. I don't find tool marks in any of them. After a short 'break-in', any of those settle in and a 60rd. LR Sporting Rifle Match can be fired without cleaning. That 6mm Shilen had 75rds. down it when I sold it (for a reduced price because of the tool marks). The new owner has another 350 rds. through it, and it still has the marks and fouls in the same place with the same result, degrading accuracy in less than 10rds.
I guess I need to inspect any barrel blank I buy from them before I have it worked over... I know my brother is working with a 'smith in S.D. on two build and he is going Brux on both.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.