Sheep rifle after 2 shoulder surgeries this year?

Lv2hnt

The good (GREAT) news 1st --- just found out TODAY I finally drew an Arizona desert sheep tag!!!

I pared down my long gun arsenal 30 years ago (after I got into archery) to a Ruger .243 (Leupold 3.5-10x) and a sporterized '03 Springfield 30/06 (Burris 3-9x).

The kicker --- I had rotator cuff (shooter shoulder) surgery the end of Sept., followed by labrum surgery this past March. S-o, I should probably be a bit cautious when it comes to recoil ...

So, the question is --- do I go with one of my 2 rifles, or use something else? I won't be purchasing a new gun, but loaners from friends an option (don't know exactly what cals. at this point).

Your input???

Congratulations! How 's your upper body strength coming along? Nothing wrong with an 06, but I've never seen a sporterized Springfield that wasn't heavy or clubby feeling. The Leupold 3.5-10x is alright, but the 243 on a once in a lifetime tag doesn't excite me. If one of my buddies drew a sheep tag I'd loan him a rifle, and help carry it. Check out your choices. Good Luck!

Shot a lot of game with a 243 and 85 grain Sierra HPBT. Son used a 95 partition on a couple. I killed one bighorn ram with a bow and while dressing it and skinning it, it didn't impress me as being any larger than an average muley buck. I'd pack that 243 in a heartbeat. Good luck on healing up.

I agree with icanhit!! You see the labrum when you scope the shoulder. Unless it was a different injury..... Either way, put a good break on any gun and you will be fine. I got a muscle break like one on my 7mm STW and I swear it kicks less than my 270

1st off congrats on the sheep tag ,I have been putting in for that tag for many years so I know the pressure your under after drawing!I love the .243 and it is deadly on coues deer but on this tag! Maybe the 06 with a brake?I am in the same boat with the wife who is a good shot with her .243 but does not like heavy kick and I will be installing a brake on my rifle so she can fill her early az bull tag. Good luck.

Top drawer surgeon and physical therapist! 1st surgery cleaned up inner shoulder and screwed tendon back (complete separation). 2nd surgery was to screw back torn labrum sustained in later incident involving less-than-competent chiropractor (don't ask --- my chiro of over 20 years had recently retired). Lucky me! Have been rehabbing for strength/flexibility; just got clearance to step up rehab intensity.

I agree with you, HARPERC. As much as I love my ol' Springfield, I DON'T want to lug it all over Creation! While I'm confident my .243 could do the job, having the capability, if needed, of a longer-range OSOK (with lesser recoil) is why I posed the question. Don't know what to expect when I hit the gun range; better cautious than sorry.

Thanks all for your input. We'll see ...

Top drawer surgeon and physical therapist! 1st surgery cleaned up inner shoulder and screwed tendon back (complete separation). 2nd surgery was to screw back torn labrum sustained in later incident involving less-than-competent chiropractor (don't ask --- my chiro of over 20 years had recently retired). Lucky me! Have been rehabbing for strength/flexibility; just got clearance to step up rehab intensity.

I agree with you, HARPERC. As much as I love my ol' Springfield, I DON'T want to lug it all over Creation! While I'm confident my .243 could do the job, having the capability, if needed, of a longer-range OSOK (with lesser recoil) is why I posed the question. Don't know what to expect when I hit the gun range; better cautious than sorry.

Thanks all for your input. We'll see ...

Dam OK you had some work done, I would be looking to cut recoil and cut it bug. I will add my 2cents on a rifle then. Something in 6.5 like a 260 rem, or a 6.5x47 lapua with a good brake from one of the smiths here. JE custom has a new one and Kirbys painkiller is a great option as always. Also Nate and Shawn have brakes that are proven performers, just pick one you like.

Dam OK you had some work done, I would be looking to cut recoil and cut it bug. I will add my 2cents on a rifle then. Something in 6.5 like a 260 rem, or a 6.5x47 lapua with a good brake from one of the smiths here. JE custom has a new one and Kirbys painkiller is a great option as always. Also Nate and Shawn have brakes that are proven performers, just pick one you like.

I like the 6.5s too even without a brake. If you plan to keep hunting after the sheep expedition you may want to consider going to a pistol like the Striker or XP-100. They put no stress on your shoulder. I used to shoot an XP in .308 without a brake and it was more pleasant to shoot than a rifle in .308.
Congratulations on the tag and have a great hunt!
Ben

Hope you heal up quickly. I would brake a rifle with a JP brake and go hunt. A few shots I would think would go un noticed.

All this makes me a bit uneasy. A few weeks back I lifted something to heavy above my shoulders. (sometimes I still think I am 30:rolleyes:) Anyway I felt something in my left shoulder grind or tear. The pain in it the next few days kept my arm below my head. It has gotten better, but still sore. I am using it with care as I work, and waiting for it to heal on it's own. I hope!!

Jeff

PS, If needed, don't over look a 6br with an 8 twist and a 107 SMK or a 105 Berger. Recoil is null and a reasonably placed bullet would easily smoke your sheep.

Jeff

Having had shoulder injuries and overuse and abuse myself, I feel you pain. Minus the burden of a desert bighorn sheep tag weighing me down (I wasn't drawn by the way). I'd feel totally confident with a 260 remmy for a once in a lifetime ram and will be easy on the shoulder even with 140s.

Some of it is in the hold. Keep the butt on your clavical and away from your cuff area and it will hurt less.

If you can, do a few push-ups every couple days and increase as strength permits. It sounds like the wrong way to go but strengthening the muscles around your problem areas is a huge help. You just have to get there without tearing yourself up in the early stages. The good news is that you have some time to get there.

I think the .243 could do the job OK. Although..... If one of your buddies has a good semi-auto or muzzle-braked rifle, that might be a better option. The only other option I can think of off the top of my head would be to practice shooting left-handed.

When I drew my Mtn Goat tag a few years ago I took my Kimber .243 and shot factory 95 gr Fusion bullets. (Shhh... don't tell anyone I used factory ammo... long story)
A lasered 305 yard shoulder shot put a huge billy down. I found the bullet in the off-side shoulder.

Thanks all for your interest and input. Looks like I've got a Browning X-Bolt in 7mm-08 to use, shooting 140-grain Federal Premium bullets. There's a ram out there that's going to be in trouble ...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.