Sharing todays gun accident so others don't

Iron Worker

Loaded up my semi custom 7mm wsm in the truck to take out some water fillet Rock Star cans at 300 yds.Placed all my target up down range ,drove back to firing line. Set my rest and shooting bags up in bed of my truck. Made sure muzzle cleared the bed of my truck . Opened up the bolt ,reached into my ammo bag and dang all the way to H!! I forgot the ammo ! Moral of the story is guys check your ammo bag twice !

I've never forgot my shells, but I made it to the range without my bolt in my gun twice in one week! I was doing load development/barrel break in and was in such a hurry to get out the door I just threw my gun in the case and left the bolt sitting nicely in its little tray.

I swore it would never happen to me again and three days later I did the same thing with a different rifle. I don't think I've ever been so embarrassed in my whole life as when I came home for the second time in one week to pick up a bolt I'd left on the cleaning counter.

Glad to hear it wasn't an physical injury type accident. It is humbling to set up all your stuff and then realize you cannot shoot.

I figure if you shoot enough you are bound to forget things. I did the bolt thing once too. How about dumping the tray of test ammo? Or what my friends have done on big game hunts. One forgot his 30-06 ammo and none of us were using the same chambering. Or the time my friend grabbed 7-08 ammo for his 300 WSM and it was an out of state elk hunt! Fortunately for him I brought two rifles.

I left the same two rifles at the rifle range twice, and the range master called my wife twice.
I have since lost those two rifles. A Ruger #1 .223 and a Ruger 10/22.

I got to our rock busting spot yesterday afternoon with the 4 big game rigs and ammo to find I had forgotten my Geovids at home (cant believe how lost I am without them!) So while I was waiting for my spotter to show up with his 1600 Leica I figured I'd run a few bolts throught the xbow #$%! I forgot the dang cocking rope!!
While I was trying to get the xbow cocked by hand a couple came by and asked if I was going to be shooting into the valley. The guy was obviosly military and looked at me a little funny when I told him we where going to be shooting at the rocks on the other hilside some 500-1500 yards away......Untill I set the 338EDGE and 7WSM on the hood of the truck:cool:
As it turned out my jerry-rigging the Savage 7WSM together isnt working too well, seams you can bore out a .473 to .534 but that doent give you enough clearance for the oversized Winchester brass AND the extractor hole is in the wrong place. Looks like I may have to actually spend the $$ and do it right :-(
It aint easy being old,cripped,blind,deaf and cheaplightbulb

You guys are just sharing that to make me feel better about my forgotten stuff. I appreciate your sensitivity.

Loaded up my semi custom 7mm wsm in the truck to take out some water fillet Rock Star cans at 300 yds.Placed all my target up down range ,drove back to firing line. Set my rest and shooting bags up in bed of my truck. Made sure muzzle cleared the bed of my truck . Opened up the bolt ,reached into my ammo bag and dang all the way to H!! I forgot the ammo ! Moral of the story is guys check your ammo bag twice !

can I get an AMEN!? The first time I took my father coyote hunting :rolleyes: he forgot his ammo at home.... bummer, I put 5 in our lap in the first 30 mins on set! Go figure.

Thanks for sharing.

I went to a rifle match one Saturday morning and in taking my gear to the firing line, I noticed I forgot my rifle. Had all the ammo needed then some.

Went to a match once and found after I arrived that I'd forgotten my shooting glasses. Still shot the match, just "used the force." Vision's highly over-rated anyway. :rolleyes:

I almost did that last Thursday morning. I was in a hurry to get the truck loaded up and meet a friend at the range to try some loads I worked up for his rifle. My wife was getting into her car going to work and ask me some questions and had me put some stuff in her car. I got into my truck and when I started to back out of the drive way looking through the rear view mirror I saw that my tail gate was still down. When I got out to close it I noticed that I had forgot my ammo can with all my ammo in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.