Sell my Savages for a few custom actions?

megastink

I'm a big savage fan. Currently, I'm in the middle of two builds, a lightweight 243 and a LH 6mm Creedmoor for my son. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find aftermarket Savage parts. Due to Savage's ever changing designs, more and more stock manufacturers are choosing to not inlet for their actions (this was spoken to me by a few manufactures).

Now this might be a bit of an overreaction, but I'm considering selling a few of my Savage centerfires to fund the purchase of a few rem 700 actions or maybe two custom short actions. Don't worry, I'm keeping my semi custom Savage 7mm Mag. But I could likely do without the 270 and the 6mm Creedmoor. There's no shortage of quality aftermarket 700 parts. I'm really leaning towards the custom actions.

This whole idea started when I discovered the Greyboe Trekker stock. I just want to build the 243 off that stock. They can't offer it in Savage. As I started looking for a similar weight stock, I just cant find one for Savage. Maybe I'm just frustrated. But I think if I part with enough safe queens, I'll end up funding some really nice builds.

What actions would everyone recommend? I'm not looking to do PRS, just hunting rifles. I would be assembling the rifles myself and have all the tools minus a lathe. Barrels would be prefits or Remage style.

O
I'm a big savage fan. Currently, I'm in the middle of two builds, a lightweight 243 and a LH 6mm Creedmoor for my son. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find aftermarket Savage parts. Due to Savage's ever changing designs, more and more stock manufacturers are choosing to not inlet for their actions (this was spoken to me by a few manufactures).

Now this might be a bit of an overreaction, but I'm considering selling a few of my Savage centerfires to fund the purchase of a few rem 700 actions or maybe two custom short actions. Don't worry, I'm keeping my semi custom Savage 7mm Mag. But I could likely do without the 270 and the 6mm Creedmoor. There's no shortage of quality aftermarket 700 parts. I'm really leaning towards the custom actions.

This whole idea started when I discovered the Greyboe Trekker stock. I just want to build the 243 off that stock. They can't offer it in Savage. As I started looking for a similar weight stock, I just cant find one for Savage. Maybe I'm just frustrated. But I think if I part with enough safe queens, I'll end up funding some really nice builds.

What actions would everyone recommend? I'm not looking to do PRS, just hunting rifles. I would be assembling the rifles myself and have all the tools minus a lathe. Barrels would be prefits or Remage style.
Only you can make the decision.

You do realize that the guys over on the Savage site wont like you for this, dont you Megastink? lol
BUT THINK OF ALL THE GOOD SAVAGE LOOT IM ABOUT TO DUMP ON THEM OVER THERE!

Hey man, I dont like this. Like I said, I'm keeping my 7mm mag. Mainly because its wearing a McMillan stock. Ive wanted a custom action for a while now. This might be a good time.
Zermatt Origin Action might work for you.
I have been staring at the Origin all day. That might be a winner. At least a good first build. Will probably start with a .243.

Yeah I'm a bighorn fan as well. I have a proof research branded TL-3 that I LOVE. But origin is essentially the same, minus integral recoil lug. My vote would be a used TL-3 if you can find one.

I really don't like being shoehorned into an action that I can't swap bolt faces.

Don't trade a Savage for a Rem 700 but for a custom, you bet ! Get a stock blank from Manners, Greyboe, or whoever you want and have it inletted for the Savage, easy to find a smith who will do it.

Northland Shooters Supply is where I've bought 3 lam 110 actions. I have 2 300wm and 1 338lm in 110 savage production rifles. I bought my 1st savage 110 about 7 years ago and I've been hooked ever since! I'll never waist my money on a rem gun or receiver. Actions based on the 700 footprint is a maybe.

https://northlandshooterssupply.com/
I bought my first Savage bolt gun in 1960.
It was a lefty version in 3006.
I was and still am greatfull to Savage for for being the first in considering us leftys as normal people deserving of a lefty action.
I have at this time 5 lefty Savages, but nothing larger than a 3006.
I was untill recently an active member of the Savage site for quite awhile.
There have been several long discussions over there regarding the use of Savage actions with large cartridges, like the 338 Lapua for example.
The in house guru over there is a guy by name of Fred, who is a gunsmith in Ohio who specializes in Savages.
He uses the name Sharpshooter on that site, which is also the name he uses for his company.
He is also a record holding varmint class bench rest shooter, using a tuned Savage actions.
But the guru named Fred, dosent think Savage actions are up to handling the larger cartridges, and he explains why he feels that way.
Of coarse there are those over there who argue with him about it.
If you go to that site, you will find what they call a (sticky) regarding using those actions for those type cartridges.

I've noticed the same thing mostly when it comes to stocks. The Timney trigger isn't perfect but it's pretty nice for the savage and the amount of pre-fit barrels available is enough for me. I currently have a 28 Nosler with a Proof barrel, and other sorts of tricked out Savage (it's literally just the action left), riding in a Bell and Carlson. Not the best stock but it's okay. I've been thinking about getting a HS Precision stock for it, since I think I like one they have, I want a more vertical grip. I also have a SA sitting in the safe that has been stripped and is ready for the same treatment. I'm thinking I'll put that one in a MDT XRS and it'll be a 22 Creedmoor, maybe a 25 Creedmoor if I get stingy, or make another just like it if I can find a reasonably priced action. It seems, just a few years ago, I could get a used 10/11/16 or 110/111/116 for about $300-$400, now they're all around $500 and to me they're not worth that. Good luck, I'd have a hard time telling you to give them up, but if you need to get rid of a 270 I've been wanting to build a 280AI.

I would do a defiance anti or antix for hunting. For varmint action I would do a TL3. My next build will be on a switch barrel action of some flavor so I can swap my varmint barrels around.

Go Bighorn, your savage barrels will fit them, and the options an configuration are endless.