Ever sell a custom gun to Cabelas?

Tried it ONCE....complete and total waste of time...the gun library guy's I talked to were idiots...

Idiots x3, or maybe just lowballers x3. Sold my rig for twice what they offered. No thanks.

Anyone ever try to sell something (a car or truck, a firearm, even a factory stock one) to some company ( a car dealership, a gunshop) that SELLS things for their livelyhood? Those places have NO interest in using those things themselves. They are in the business of SELLING for a profit. It's called capitalism. Are we so far removed from this concept (capitalism) that we don't understand this? "Used" sells for nowhere near what "new" does. Your best return (cars/trucks, firearms) will be with a private sale/transfer to someone who is planning on USING the item.

Anyone ever try to sell something (a car or truck, a firearm, even a factory stock one) to some company ( a car dealership, a gunshop) that SELLS things for their livelyhood? Those places have NO interest in using those things themselves. They are in the business of SELLING for a profit. It's called capitalism. Are we so far removed from this concept (capitalism) that we don't understand this? "Used" sells for nowhere near what "new" does. Your best return (cars/trucks, firearms) will be with a private sale/transfer to someone who is planning on USING the item.

You must not have priced a used Remington 700 ADL, BDL, etc...on the private market lately. You can literally go to Walmart or Academy Sports, and pickup a brand new 700 ADL for as much, or LESS than what people want for a used one. It is ridiculous.

This is why I buy every cheap used one when I see it, and have the cash on-hand...Because the used market has gotten retarded. Same goes for vehicles, too. Used and new vehicle prices have gotten ridiculous, as well.

You must not have priced a used Remington 700 ADL, BDL, etc...on the private market lately. You can literally go to Walmart or Academy Sports, and pickup a brand new 700 ADL for as much, or LESS than what people want for a used one. It is ridiculous.

This is why I buy every cheap used one when I see it, and have the cash on-hand...Because the used market has gotten retarded. Same goes for vehicles, too. Used and new vehicle prices have gotten ridiculous, as well.
I most certainly have, Mud! I have people call me all the time wanting to know if I buy firearms. Anymore, I tell them "no,,, less it's something I'd care to transfer to myself", as they want to sell to me for $100 more than I can go to WalMart and buy the same thing for. I can't buy from a whole saler for what Walmart sells @ retail for the same item (I am a FFL). You will never recover what you paid or have invested in a custom rifle or car if you try to sell it to a company/individual that will resell it as part of their business. And, those Remingtons from WalMart are barely worth the value of the action, itself. You'll do better selling it to another who plans on using it.

I am a capitalist, and completely understand the need for profit in a company, as I own my own biz......The idiots at Cabelas have no idea of what they are looking at...
At least if I take my Ford to the dealer they know it's a FORD...not a kia...
There is a difference between making money and being stupid...

They aren't alone in offering very low "trade in values". Numerous reasons including what they mark up new guns for, certainly they will pay less than what their new from factory cost etc.

I won't bother to trying to trade with them again. It's not so much in the dollars, as it is in how insultingly low. Find a kid or someone who needs a first or better firearm and give it to them is the path I've taken a couple of times, Or offer it cheap to an individual. At least you'll feel good about it.

Maintaining your right to individually transfer firearms to another individual is something all should be paying attention to.

Preach it brother! Match up the box store sales with the manufactures rebates and save big over a used gun from a pawn shop.

I was recently in the "library" and over heard a Cabelas employee explain to a customer that they try to determine the FMV and then will offer you approximately 70% of that.
Other considerations would obliviously be their inventory needs and relative demand for the firearm. It will ultimately boil down to the same factor in any negotiation process where the person that cares the least and can walk away will usually have the scales tip in their favor.

What Projp said is correct. I have talked with several of the guys before and that is there model of how they do business on there second hand gun buys regardless if it is custom or not. its still going to be 30% lower.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.