Sell my Savages for a few custom actions?

I would sell the Savages and go custom pronto, my problem is no one wants the Savages I have even at drastically reduced prices. It's not the end of the world, everyone needs a loaner rifle and a truck rifle, maybe even a let's see how hot we can get it bolt rifle. I only have three Savages left and have moved to 700 types going forward.

Any of these are excellent custom actions:

Kelblys Atlas Tactical- Prefits galore for them now. Comes with 20MOA rail
Bighorn Origin- Prefits galore. Rail included
Mack Brothers- runs about $629, No LH actions

Here's a Kelblys I built, 300WSM, using the exact stock you want and a Prefit barrel from PBB. I also have another exactly the same in 308.

69CF9038-5D65-46ED-8B26-B4D4DB25D234.jpeg

Any of these are excellent custom actions:

Kelblys Atlas Tactical- Prefits galore for them now. Comes with 20MOA rail
Bighorn Origin- Prefits galore. Rail included
Mack Brothers- runs about $629, No LH actions

Here's a Kelblys I built, 300WSM, using the exact stock you want and a Prefit barrel from PBB. I also have another exactly the same in 308.

View attachment 373819
YES!!! That's very close to what I want. I'd be putting a carbon barrel on it. Probably in .260, 257, or maybe 7mm-08.

I will second the bighorn actions, either the tl3 or the origin. I was a broke *** college kid who could only afford a savage back in the early nineties. I bought a original 110 long action in 223. That gun was the best savage i ever owned! It had a spacer built into the magazine to feed the short cartridges and no accutrigger. I have that trigger polished and tuned down to about 2 lbs, and it sits in a stockade stock. I now have 3 savages and 7 barrels. I can swap a barrel in around 10 minutes, and have used aftermarket triggers, stocks, barrels, and bolts. In my opinion Savages are very accurate inexpensive guns that came in a time when big gun companies were struggling with accuracy and quality control. Their simplicity, and unbelievable accuracy really brought them into the forefront of rifle manufacturing.

I have a Shilen select match 6x47 lapua barrel, that shoots lights out on my savage short action model 12. I have spent more money and time on this gun than all my others combined. I had Sharp shooter supply do the barrel, the action and have their trigger, bolt knob and barrel nut. Its a very accurate gun but.....(here is the big but) it is still a savage. Bolt travel is rough and be mad to bind with almost no effort, and the action is just very rough. (insert you get what you pay for here) I have a 300 win mag that I bought used that was fitted with a shilen barrel with no nut and was ceracoated. That bolt rides pretty smooth and is much better feeling action.

As time has gone savage has changed its action length a million times and has named multiple actions both short and long 110. Its so confusing now to order anything aftermarket its almost not worth it. Remington parts are sold everywhere and run the gamut from basic to full custom and are in stock. Savage doesnt really have very much aftermarket support, and it takes forever to get.

I have since bought a bighorn origin, and have a tl3 on the way. Using a savage thread pattern i can use all my old barrels, or have a new one spun up and will be guaranteed to headspace from the barrel manufacturer. I can use remington stocks and triggers and the triggertech diamond 2 stage trigger is the best trigger I have used! The bolt throw is smooth and doesnt jam, and the fit is perfect!

So a very long winded answer but I will not be buying anymore savage. The custom actions available now are only slightly more money and I can use all my old barrels.. They are light years ahead and hold their value. I can say they are a huge step up in quality!

I bought my first Savage bolt gun in 1960.
It was a lefty version in 3006.
I was and still am greatfull to Savage for for being the first in considering us leftys as normal people deserving of a lefty action.
I have at this time 5 lefty Savages, but nothing larger than a 3006.
I was untill recently an active member of the Savage site for quite awhile.
There have been several long discussions over there regarding the use of Savage actions with large cartridges, like the 338 Lapua for example.
The in house guru over there is a guy by name of Fred, who is a gunsmith in Ohio who specializes in Savages.
He uses the name Sharpshooter on that site, which is also the name he uses for his company.
He is also a record holding varmint class bench rest shooter, using a tuned Savage actions.
But the guru named Fred, dosent think Savage actions are up to handling the larger cartridges, and he explains why he feels that way.
Of coarse there are those over there who argue with him about it.
If you go to that site, you will find what they call a (sticky) regarding using those actions for those type cartridges.
Granted I don't have more than 100 rounds our of the 338lm (110 stealth), but have 0 issues or any hiccups with it. Using only factory ammo so far. I'll keep my eye out for any signs of action issues. When was the last time he was employed with Savage?

Granted I don't have more than 100 rounds our of the 338lm (110 stealth), but have 0 issues or any hiccups with it. Using only factory ammo so far. I'll keep my eye out for any signs of action issues. When was the last time he was employed with Savage?
If your asking me about Sharpshooter, i never met him.
I dont know if he actually ever worked at Savage, but for sure he has lots of knowledge on them.
His concern seems to be setback of the lugs, which can take time to develop, and he does go into detail as to why he thinks that way.
Its not just the 338 Lapua, he dosent think they should be used on 300 Ultra mags either and he claims to have seen reasons for his opinion.
Best to call and talk with him if you want more information.

I would sell the Savages and go custom pronto, my problem is no one wants the Savages I have even at drastically reduced prices. It's not the end of the world, everyone needs a loaner rifle and a truck rifle, maybe even a let's see how hot we can get it bolt rifle. I only have three Savages left and have moved to 700 types going forward.
I did not see your Savage rifle ads but don't give and repost. Fund$ has been tough lately.

I can't comment much on whether or not you should keep the savages you have. If they're doing what you want them to do I'd just keep them. As everyone as outlined, you will likely be selling at a discount unless you initially purchased them used.

With regards to going custom, I'll also recommend a Big Horn Origin, especially because you could use the savage prefits you had already ordered. Great actions and excellent customer service. The newer nitrided ones are even nicer than the blued ones I got when they first launched. I know you mentioned maybe getting a 700, by the time you buy the 700 and new barrels you're about at the price of the Origin using your existing barrels.

I can't comment much on whether or not you should keep the savages you have. If they're doing what you want them to do I'd just keep them. As everyone as outlined, you will likely be selling at a discount unless you initially purchased them used.

With regards to going custom, I'll also recommend a Big Horn Origin, especially because you could use the savage prefits you had already ordered. Great actions and excellent customer service. The newer nitrided ones are even nicer than the blued ones I got when they first launched. I know you mentioned maybe getting a 700, by the time you buy the 700 and new barrels you're about at the price of the Origin using your existing barrels.
I think this is the way to go. I have a little 16" CarbonSix barrel in 6 Creed that I might stick on the Origin and drop into a Trekker. Hold my beer boys, I'm about to drop some coin.

I think this is the way to go. I have a little 16" CarbonSix barrel in 6 Creed that I might stick on the Origin and drop into a Trekker. Hold my beer boys, I'm about to drop some coin.
Another option that takes Savage threaded barrels is an ARC Nucleus. I picked up a Gen1 and was able to use a barrel I had already.