Savage LRH, a few questions

Dean0206

I am strongly considering a Savage Long Range Hunter as a Christmas gift to myself. I am leaning towards the 6.5 Creedmoor, as I am not a fan of recoil, and I like the ballistics of the 6.5.

I have seen a few posts on other forums in regards to the Long Range Hunter having some type of rubberized finish on the stock that tends to come off quite easily. Has anyone on this forum experienced that? If so, were you able to get a replacement stock from savage and did the replacement stock do the same thing? the reason that I ask is because a friend of a friend bought a LRH and as soon as he got it home and took the red accustock decal off the fore end, the rubberized finish peeled right off with it. There is also a LRH for sale on the Cabela's website that has the finish peeling off, and it looks horrible.

Also, how durable is that recoil pad that comes on the LRH? It sure is nice and soft, but it seems like it might tear easily during field use.

I would appreciate any input that you guys can provide, as I really like the rifle and I have the money burning a hole in my pocket. BTW, I have been a lurker on this forum for several years, and it's nice to finally be a member.

I can only attest to the 6.5x284 LRH that my nephew has. I helped my brother in law work on that gun and it is a shooter, under 1/2moa easy. That said, the stock sucks, his peeled as well and it is flimsy and the recoil pad isnt all that. I think if I bought one I would put it in a B&C or HS stock. My nephew called savage and they were going to send him another stock but he wanted to wait until after the hunting season. Hope this helps

Thanks Bob L. Unless I start hearing that the peeling problem has been solved, I will not be purchasing a LRH. I mean, how hard is it to either fix the peeling problem or just do away with the rubberized coating alltogether? Many other manufacturers manage to produce stocks with rubber coatings that dont flake off, why can't Savage? They are one of the most innovative companies in the industry, but they are going to start losing business if they continue in this manner. It's very frustrating to like a product so much, but be turned off because of quality control issues.

Maybe you can call savage and see if they have figured it out, as for accuracy the gun can shoot, dont know anything about the 6.5 creedmoor thou.

Bob L., I tried to send an e-mail to Steve Danneker who is a project engineer at Savage. He was responsible for the 110BA. I got his business card at the NRA convention 2 years ago. However the e-mail was returned as undeliverable, so I guess his e-mail address has changed. If anyone here has current contact information for someone "in the know" at Savage please send me a PM. I dont want to call the generic customer service number and get the same old company line "We're not aware of any problems with the finish on the LRH, but thanks for your inquiry." I just want to get the straight skinny.

I had the peeling problem with my savage, and just called customer service. They sent me a new stock at no charge. I like the feeling of the coating on the stock, but it is rather flimsy. The recoil pad is nice, and can't see it not being able to stand up to the same abuse as a limbsaver (but not as much as a decelerator)

Nice guns overall--was considering getting one in 6.5 CM as well, but would probably go the 10 predator route and paint the stock.

How long have you had your replacement stock? And has the finish held up on it better than the first one?

I have the LRH and have had no issues so far with the stock or pad. Still plan on replacing the stock because I don't like the feel of the stock.....rubber coating.

Most companies rubber stocks are molded on/in. Savages' stocks have the rubberized coating sprayed on... And their stocks are injection molded, so if the stock is not perfectly clean of the release agent from the mold, the spray on coating doesn't stick.

That being said, the gun is a shooter (almost all Savages are, and they're easy to gunsmith). I would probably still buy the gun, sell the stock and buy a new one (personally, that is).

What do you guys think of the break on the LRH
Im not to sure about it seams like have issues in dusty conditions and looks hard to clean out
retiredcpo

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.