Scope that won't break on 300 win mag

I would bet it is 1 of 2 things...first of all, 300 WM is not breaking most scopes, even under $500.

First, is the bell hitting the barrel? You need 0.1" clearance min. Yes, look for marks on the barrel from bell slapping!

Second, is the scope fitting perfectly in the mount? Do you have ring marks?

Great point... rule out mounting first. 300WM is not that strong of a round.

I have a Savage in 300 win mag that absolutely eats scopes. I've blew up 4 scopes . 2 Bushnell and 2 Vortex . They have all be warranted . I usually miss something before I know the scope is junk. I have a DNZ Game Reaper mount . I'm not looking to break the bank here . $500 -$600 is my budget . Any ideas ??? Thanks.
Holy Crap Batman !!! I would first check your base / ring installation to make sure everything is true and plumb so the scope tube isn't torqued in some way when tightening it down. Can you further describe/ elaborate on "blew up " ? I'm a long time Burris fan,( though not so much since Beretta took 'em over).

Why does anyone need a win 300 mag ?

Less is more :)
I remember shooting a deer with a bow, and at 15 yds the arrow went through the lungs and stuck in the ground on other side. The deer jumped, ran 10 yards and slowed down and looked back to see what that noise was. Then it proceeded to walk away and went 180 yards and fell over. No hydrostatic shock with an arrow, which is important in having a deer drop in its tracks. Hunting with a rifle on our farm, we progressed into longer ranges as time went on. My wife shot her first deer at 125 yards with a 22-250 and it dropped. It was severely blood shocked. I started reaching out to 400 yards or so with a 25-06. Sometimes they would run. Hit one through the lungs and it ran 220 yards, 25 caliber hole in and 25 caliber hole out. Basically, no shock. So as distances increased, the realization that remaining energy was very important to cause hydrostatic shock, as previously mentioned, at longer distances. Certainly would not shoot a deer at 600 yards with a 22-250. It is satisfying to shoot a deer at 550 yards and not have them run long distances before dying. Thus is the reason for the "need" for a 300 mag, and larger. However, I have gone to 30-378 Weatherby, 338-378 Weatherby and my son shoots a 338 ultra mag. Have considered trying even larger chamberings as I suppose one is never satisfied. A well respected gunsmith said years ago, "with high velocity cartridges the deer will suffer a brain hemmorage. When you see high bloodshock, most likely they also received a brain hemmorage which usually stops them there". A 30-06 launches 180 grain average 2600 or so feet per second. A 30- 378 with 30" barrel launches 180 grain 3550 feet per second 338 ultra mag launches 180 grain Accubond 3675 feet per second with 30" barrel. Definitely more energy and shock downrange.

The Vortex Viper will take more than the VX3, I would look at your mounts and how you mount an optic, that's one of the biggest causes of issues.
The dead nutz scope mounts are a one piese mount that can withstand the recoil , they are great on my muzzleloader, so i am a fan of leica zeiss and sig sauer scopes they are built to higher standards than what your using

I have a Savage in 300 win mag that absolutely eats scopes. I've blew up 4 scopes . 2 Bushnell and 2 Vortex . They have all be warranted . I usually miss something before I know the scope is junk. I have a DNZ Game Reaper mount . I'm not looking to break the bank here . $500 -$600 is my budget . Any ideas ??? Thanks.
I have used Bushnell, Vortex, and Nikon on 300 win mags, for over 25 years, and have never had a problem. Right now I'm running a Vortex 6.5x24x50 on one, and a Nikon Black 6x24x50 on another one. No problems with either.

The old adage is "You get what you pay for". Spend $2500 and don't worry about the warranty.

Get a bigger budget and buy a trijicon or zeiss. If you can stand it a Swarovski. I have one on my 300 weatherby no problem

I got tired of sending stuff back to Vortex... A friend recommended the Nightforce SHV because of my budget, and I have been very happy with them, a bit heavy, but super reliable and super clear. If your interested I have a 4-14 x 56 Nightforce SHV that I would let go for $800, It's a bit out of your budget, but well worth it. I had it on my 7mm rem mag, no Issues,I just upgraded to the NF with zero stop turret. I can see a 12" x 24" plate out to 1400 yards.

Attachments

• image_50416897.JPG
    image_50416897.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0548.jpeg
    IMG_0548.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 75
Are you using a torque wrench when you mount your rings and bases?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.