Savage 110 Ultralite - 28 Nosler, Proof Research, 24" Barrel,

I wonder if they're paying attention to this thread or had someone call in about the specs. On their site it lists 6lbs as the weight, and Accufit stock (not accustock.)

I applaud them for what they're doing at the price point they're doing it.

At some point, I figure I'll want to upgrade the stock.
As setup from the factory (DBM, bottom bolt release), these are the options I've found. All are going to add weight over factory stock.

HS Precision:
PST129 - Advertised Weight 3.05lbs
PST137 - Advertised Weight 3.95lbs

Manners:
None for long action - per email from Manners
*Short action yes, must order w/ mini chassis

McMillan:
Just one: Mcmillan Savage HTG - Advertised Weight 2.5Lbs
You will have to ship the barreled action and bottom metal for custom fitting.
Per email w/ McMillian

B&C:
Savage Sporter Style - Model #1017 - Advertised Weight 2.25lbs
Likely need to open up the barrel channel a decent amount.

Stockade Stocks
I didn't research enough into these yet. All feedback says they're heavy but quality.

GRS:
Bifrost - A chassis/stock hybrid.

MPI Custom Stocks
This is the only option I can find where you could actually maintain or even reduce weight on the rifle stock. "Sportac" model would be my 1st choice. I'd plan on shipping rifle to them and doing "Complete Restocking ($895) and opt for the "Lightweight Kevlar" option (+$100). With shipping this option would run as much as the rifle. Probably more, as I'd probably upgrade the bottom metal (PTG Stealth or ???).

Boyds:
Many models in a laminae/wood stock.
*Boyds is installing pillars now. Only doing front pillar for this savage.
The "Spike Camp" model with front pillar for $155 has peaked my interest.
About 2lbs.

SharpShooterSupply.com
Laminate stocks

Note:
*In general, Short Actions have way more options but I didn't spend my time on that.

Chassis:
Multiple available but not on my radar. AICS mags could gain some COAL above the ~3.5" from factory magazine.
I'm very intrigued by this build. Almost everything I am looking for in a packable rifle. That said I'd make some changes. Possibly magazine. Primarily I would change out the stock. I found a composit stick company that was looking into adding the savage line to their setup. AG Composites. Even if they don't they do offer blanks that I can have a GS inlet for the rifle. I feel that this rifle with a carbon stock some good glass and one of my suppressors would be an excellent mountain rifle. Light enough to be packable, tame recoil with break or suppressor, barrel length is perfect for suppressed, and able to get out there with enough energy to take an NA game.

Not to mention with the ablikity to get the rifle for around $1k it's a no brained. As building up a receiver would be even more as the barrel alone will run you around this.

Muzzle Brake: Seekins ATC

It's a bit of a challenge to find a self timing brake that isn't 1.00" plus diameter. I think this one works well and can be had for $85.00 or less. Find an opticsplanet.com code and you'll be set.

I didn't know when I bought it but the lock nut is designed to go over your barrel (max barrel diameter of .750"). I feel it's a cleaner look vs going carbon fiber --> stainless steel --> black brake. The lock nut completely covers the stainless portion of the barrel.

It also comes in a bead blasted stainless finish. I didn't want the carbon fiber --> stainless steel --> bead blasted finish. Non issue, the stainless barrel would be covered by the nut.

*Warning: I'd double check this would work on a 22" barrel before ordering. The barrel might be too thick. I'm getting about .790" diameter, 2" behind the lock nut. My assumption is it's the same barrel blank for a 22" model, just shortened by 2" (just an assumption).
View attachment 193577View attachment 193578View attachment 193579View attachment 193580View attachment 193581View attachment 193582
Snowy mountain rifles can get you sorted here. They also have a bone sled timing. You send in the barreled action and they fit it for you. I have one on my 700 build and it's perfect.

Could only find the camouflaged version. Photos below.

Attachments

• E351182E-9DBA-49C3-923F-CBDB9A4C429B.jpeg
    E351182E-9DBA-49C3-923F-CBDB9A4C429B.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 103
  • 06BAC707-564C-45E4-9C2B-31FB8293DE81.jpeg
    06BAC707-564C-45E4-9C2B-31FB8293DE81.jpeg
    894.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 195DF5A2-3231-40C0-AA65-B26D859EFCF0.jpeg
    195DF5A2-3231-40C0-AA65-B26D859EFCF0.jpeg
    770.7 KB · Views: 100
  • D1CA3C0D-E196-4401-8998-969FDBF58AA1.jpeg
    D1CA3C0D-E196-4401-8998-969FDBF58AA1.jpeg
    937.3 KB · Views: 95
1lb ,13 oz ,thats awful heavy for a composite stock,tells me its plastic not glass or kevlar.Last stock I bought from High Tech Specialty's was 18oz.

How's it shoot?

Any issues or things you specifically do or don't like on it?

How do you feel about the 28 nosler in such a light rifle and the short barrel?

I'm trying to decide between the 28N and the 280ai

Thanks!
I just got one in a 6.5 Creedmoor for my kids and the ladies to shoot. I added a titanium muzzle brake and a zeiss conquest V4. I will be shooting it this week to break in. I will let you know what I think after I shoot it a bit. Fwiw I would go 280 AI over 28 Nosler in this configuration. Just my take based on my 280 AI and 28 Nosler rifles.

It shoots. The only issue of finding components for the 28 Nosler. I will be either running a snowy mountain break or a can on it. A stock replacement could be had for it and still be less than a custom comparable build.

It shoots. The only issue of finding components for the 28 Nosler. I will be either running a snowy mountain break or a can on it. A stock replacement could be had for it and still be less than a custom comparable build.
Good to know. My buddy had a lot hells canyon and a ultralight in 6.5 Creedmore that he was working loads up for. I asked him which was shooting better and he said that the savage was shooting better.

Those of y'all who are still using the stock that came with the gun, how is it working? Have y'all ever noticed forend flexing when using a can and/or bipod? I plan on running a Dead Air Sandman S and occasionally an Atlas Bipod and I'm a little concerned about the stock touching the barrel.

Those of y'all who are still using the stock that came with the gun, how is it working? Have y'all ever noticed forend flexing when using a can and/or bipod? I plan on running a Dead Air Sandman S and occasionally an Atlas Bipod and I'm a little concerned about the stock touching the barrel.
If you load it hard it will touch but it requires a good amount of load before it will touch. I don't see a time I would ever load up a bipod that hard. A suppressor wouldn't be an issue. I actually really like the stocks so if you buy one and pull off the stock I will buy the stock.

I also haven't had any stock issues. Mine shoots good out to 1058. I have the bottom metal issues but I'm not that worried about it due to the fact this gun doesn't get shot or hunted very much. My other complaint is the mag length is too short. I wouldn't wanna even attempt to run the 195 Berger's due to how far you'd have to shove em in. The 154 hammers run great.