Savage 110 Ultralite - 28 Nosler, Proof Research, 24" Barrel,

martinakl

Savage 110 Ultralite Specs and Review

*This will be a work in progress. I couldn't find much info on these. PM me questions and I'll keep updating my post.

*Disclaimer: I am not a savage expert. This might be my first Savage ever.

Factory Specs:
  • SKU # 57584
  • 28 Nosler
  • 24" barrel
  • 1:8.44 Twist Rate, 5GR (5 Groove)
  • Factory blueprinted action
  • Lightweight Stainless Steel Receiver with Melonite Finish
  • Grey AccuFit ™ Stock with Adj. Comb height, Length of Pull, and overmold surfaces
  • Exclusive PROOF Research Carbon Fiber Wrapped Stainless Steel Cut Rifled Barrel
  • Threaded muzzle for 5/8 24 with flush fit cap
  • 1.5-4 lb user adjustable AccuTrigger
  • Detachable box magazine
  • Spiral Fluted Bolt
  • Drilled & Tapped Receiver *(8-40)
  • Spec Weight: 6lbs (long action)

Spec's not listed on site:
  • Actual weight (complete rifle): 6lbs 5.7oz (Yes, almost 6oz more than advertised, as shipped)
  • Max magazine COAL (long action): 3.52" inside dimensions.
  • Stock weight (with trigger guard): 1lb 13.4oz
  • Barreled action weight: 4lbs 5.4oz
  • Muzzle Diameter behind threads: .743 (seems similar to a SS Proof "Bull Sporter")
  • Bolt release location: Bottom bolt release
  • No aluminum bedding block in this "Accustock" just plastic.
  • There is front/rear pillars (metal)
  • Pay attention to the 8-40 scope base screw. It seems most Savages are 6-48??? This causes issues when finding scope bases.
  • Advertised as an AccuStock. It DOES NOThave an aluminum bedding block. Stock is all "plastic."
    • There is a metal pillars for the front and rear action screw.

1588285782652.png

Last edited:
*1st Issue Already Identified:
Magazine does not fit right. It hits the receiver before it has a chance to clip into place. You can slam it hard with your palm and it'll click into place. Then, too tight to remove easily.

*5/1/2020 update:
My fix: I put a small, thin washer between, the removable DBM floorplate (what to call it???) and the stock. Action screw goes through the washer to keep it centered and metal on metal. Now the magazine doesn't hit the receiver before fully engaging the clip. Easy peazy.

Last edited:
As a long time Savage Fanatic, these rifles looked OK/all good, til you get to the barrel length's?! IF I were going to get this new SAV, 6.5PRC or 300WSM, would be the better choice of choices? But that's just me, because I'm looking at getting a carbon prefit, for a build I want to do.

As a long time Savage Fanatic, these rifles looked OK/all good, til you get to the barrel length's?! IF I were going to get this new SAV, 6.5PRC or 300WSM, would be the better choice of choices? But that's just me, because I'm looking at getting a carbon prefit, for a build I want to do.
Yes, for many, a 26" or even 28" barrel, would be a preferred choice for the 28 Nosler cartridge.

I think they had a target weight in mind and that trumped performance considerations.

They are super light and handy.

Savage 110 Ultralite Specs and Review

*This will be a work in progress. I couldn't find much info on these. PM me questions and I'll keep updating my post.

*Disclaimer: I am not a savage expert. This might be my first Savage ever.

Factory Specs:
  • SKU # 57584
  • 28 Nosler
  • 24" barrel
  • 1:8.44 Twist Rate, 5GR (5 Groove)
  • Factory blueprinted action
  • Lightweight Stainless Steel Receiver with Melonite Finish
  • Grey AccuFit ™ Stock with Adj. Comb height, Length of Pull, and overmold surfaces
  • Exclusive PROOF Research Carbon Fiber Wrapped Stainless Steel Cut Rifled Barrel
  • Threaded muzzle for 5/8 24 with flush fit cap
  • 1.5-4 lb user adjustable AccuTrigger
  • Detachable box magazine
  • Spiral Fluted Bolt
  • Drilled & Tapped Receiver *(8-40)
  • Spec Weight: 6lbs (long action)

Spec's not listed on site:
  • Actual weight (complete rifle): 6lbs 5.7oz (Yes, almost 6oz more than advertised, as shipped)
  • Max magazine COAL (long action): WILL PROVIDE
  • Stock weight (with trigger guard): 1lb 13.4oz
  • Barreled action weight: 4lbs 5.4oz
  • Muzzle Diameter behind threads: .743 (seems similar to a SS Proof "Bull Sporter")
  • Bolt release location: Bottom bolt release
  • No aluminum bedding block in this "Accustock" just plastic.
  • There is a front pillar (metal)
  • Pay attention to the 8-40 scope base screw. It seems most Savages are 6-48??? This causes issues when finding scope bases.

View attachment 191286
Good info
It's funny that savage is still lying about their weights, I bought a light hunter a few years back that was advertised at 5.5 lbs but mine actually weighed 6.1 which was the same as my Tikka that had a heavier profile barrel and was 4.5" longer.
I had mag issues with it as well, savage does not pay any attention to detail and I've never had good luck with the 4 that I've owned.

It's pretty cool that they're offering a proof barrel but I'd throw the rest of the components in the classifieds :p

Excellent report and pic's, Its still as I figured the stock would be my swap out for a bedding block model, all else looks good. Large shank is good and longer action assures COL for longer bullet 6.5 and 7mm cartridges. Fitting the magazine to me is no different than the feed lip work that used to be sometimes required on the older blind magazine stagger feed's. Looks like a good platform to work with.
It's pretty cool that they're offering a proof barrel but I'd throw the rest of the components in the classifieds :p
From your many hard luck savage posts, you are simply savage challenged my friend :)

Does the new ultra lite have the plastic bottom metal or metal bottom metal. I am sure there was a better way to phrase that but I couldn't figure one lol.

The fit is good though? I have one with the plastic bottom metal and I am not fond of it. Just has issues with the magazine catching properly. Thanks for the info.

The fit is good though? I have one with the plastic bottom metal and I am not fond of it. Just has issues with the magazine catching properly. Thanks for the info.
I added a thin metal washer between the bottom metal and the stock. My magazine was hitting the receiver and not engaging the catch unless I slammed it in there. Then, it was hard to remove because there was too much tension on the catch.