Savage 110 Ultralite???

JFritz06

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with the Savage 110 Ultralite, specifically with the .308? Performance, Accuracy, Load Development??
I just picked one up and ordered a Lil Beast 4 Port Muzzle Break from muzzlebreaksandmore. My intentions for this rifle is to have an accurate longer range hunting rifle for the kiddos.
As soon as it gets in, and I find some glass to put on it, I'll start working up a load.
Was planning on starting with 42 GN. Varget with the 168 Amax.
Thanks in advance

I just picked one up in 280 AI, seems like a pretty good value. I've got an Athlon Ares 3x18x50 scope ordered, hopefully will start load development this spring. If and when I can get some brass…

I just picked one up in 280 AI, seems like a pretty good value. I've got an Athlon Ares 3x18x50 scope ordered, hopefully will start load development this spring. If and when I can get some brass…
I'm not familiar with the 280. I know the 28 Nosler is a shooter. We're trying to find one in South Paw for my buddy now.
I'm going to put a NF on the 308. Figured I needed to put a bullet proof scope on it in case the rug rats drop it.

I'm not familiar with the 280. I know the 28 Nosler is a shooter. We're trying to find one in South Paw for my buddy now.
I'm going to put a NF on the 308. Figured I needed to put a bullet proof scope on it in case the rug rats drop it.
The 280 Ai or Ackley Improved was a wildcat round off the 280 Remington, but it's now a SAAMI cartiridge. It has about 10% less powder use of the 7mm REM Mag, about 10% recoil of the 7mm RM, and about 30-50 less FPS (about 2-3% less) than the 7mm, while using the same 7mm/.284 bullet.

The down side is right now, there is fewer factory loads for the 280 AI, so it's a great cartridge for hand loaders, less so for factory ammo folks.

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts/experience with the Savage 110 Ultralite, specifically with the .308? Performance, Accuracy, Load Development??
I just picked one up and ordered a Lil Beast 4 Port Muzzle Break from muzzlebreaksandmore. My intentions for this rifle is to have an accurate longer range hunting rifle for the kiddos.
As soon as it gets in, and I find some glass to put on it, I'll start working up a load.
Was planning on starting with 42 GN. Varget with the 168 Amax.
Thanks in advance
The darn Proof Research CF barrel retails for $975, the receiver and trigger would be maybe $4-500, the stock maybe $150-200? It would cost me $1500-1600 for the parts, then smithing costs to assemble. I got mine for $1100 at Cabela's, it's worth a try.

The 280 Ai or Ackley Improved was a wildcat round off the 280 Remington, but it's now a SAAMI cartiridge. It has about 10% less powder use of the 7mm REM Mag, about 10% recoil of the 7mm RM, and about 30-50 less FPS (about 2-3% less) than the 7mm, while using the same 7mm/.284 bullet.

The down side is right now, there is fewer factory loads for the 280 AI, so it's a great cartridge for hand loaders, less so for factory ammo folks.
I'm not too familiar with the 28 Nosler either, but it sounds like the 280 is a step under the 7 mag and the 28 Nosler is a step above??? Both probably favor the hand loader, especially these days.

The darn Proof Research CF barrel retails for $975, the receiver and trigger would be maybe $4-500, the stock maybe $150-200? It would cost me $1500-1600 for the parts, then smithing costs to assemble. I got mine for $1100 at Cabela's, it's worth a try.
That's exactly what our gunsmith told us. I'll be sure to follow up with a report after I get it put together and some loads worked up.

I'm not too familiar with the 28 Nosler either, but it sounds like the 280 is a step under the 7 mag and the 28 Nosler is a step above??? Both probably favor the hand loader, especially these days.
Kind of, but there's actually two .280's, the .280 Remington, and the .280 Ackley Improved. Remington developed the .280 Rem in the 50's, and Ackley wildcatted the .280 AI after that. Nosler submitted the .280 AI for SAAMI certification in the 2000's, basically "un-wildcatting" it. The slowest of the four cartridges we're discussing is the .280 Rem, then the .280 AI at about 100 fps faster than the 280 Rem, then the 7mm Rem Mag is about 30-50 fps faster than the 280 AI, and the 28 Nosler is the fastest of the four. This is with all four using the same bullet.

Last edited:
Thats interesting. Our gunsmith said it was the fastest out of the 7mms but also had the shortest barrel life out of all of them.

Thats interesting. Our gunsmith said it was the fastest out of the 7mms but also had the shortest barrel life out of all of them.
The 28 Nosler? It's definitely fast, and it seems to have a shorter life than the others. There's many chamberings in the 280/7mm class. The Nosler load data has info for at least 12 cartridges in the class, and there's likely a ton more.

Last edited: