Savage Ultralite 28 Nosler COAL

OrangeMan73

Can anybody tell me what the max magazine length is for this gun? Wanting to see if this setup is an option and I definitely wanna run the heavier bullets without jamming into the powder column...

I was so excited to help I ran out to the shop in 2 degrees to get my book. I have two magazines for mine. Both measure exactly 3.505". I tried some 168 ABLR 2.825" - O (ogive) and 175 ABLR 2.900 - O That should put them at 3.460 to the tip and what I needed to have full and easy feeding with no drag. In Nosler Brass I fit 80/R25, 85/Retumbo, 90/R33, 93/US869 behind the 175 with no problem. Those are max and even a little over max pressure in my rifle. No it would not shoot them accurately...too much jump to lands. Put a 160AB in and it shoots .5"

You're awesome. Thank you much!

I love Savages but long actions are apparently not their strong point.

For me the number of buyers needing or wanting 4" or +4" magazines is so small they will loose money. Baby steps....they built a carbon barrel 1/8 with a milled action in a rifle that weighs 6lb 5oz in a large magnum and you can buy it for $1300. Do you see anyone else doing that?