Savage 110 Ultralite - 28 Nosler, Proof Research, 24" Barrel,

I just ordered one from Cabelas in 6.5 PRC for use on high hunts. Know I am wondering if I should leave it at the store when it comes in. 🤔
Not sure what Cabela's is selling them for but I'd compare to this site:

They shipped my 28 Nosler out super fast. Less than a week from order to delivery.

I will be honest I have almost no worries about it shooting. Every Savage I have ever been around has shot very well. I am more worried about fit and finish. I have always wanted a Savage that didn't seem like a lower quality rifle.

I will be honest I have almost no worries about it shooting. Every Savage I have ever been around has shot very well. I am more worried about fit and finish. I have always wanted a Savage that didn't seem like a lower quality rifle.
I'm pleased with the fit and finish on the barreled action. Action cycles nicely. Looks nice with the fluted bolt. Trigger came set at the perfect pull weight and breaks really nice. Stock is where the corners were cut to keep price point lower and keep weight down.

I plan on keeping an eye for a Stocky Stocks sale and will drop the barreled action into a Bell & Carlson stock at some point. I'll add an adjustable cheek riser I have sitting in a drawer. I think that would finish it out nicely. I estimate it'll add about 1lb to the rifle over the factory stock.

Last edited:
Savage 110 Ultralite Specs and Review

*This will be a work in progress. I couldn't find much info on these. PM me questions and I'll keep updating my post.

*Disclaimer: I am not a savage expert. This might be my first Savage ever.

Factory Specs:
  • SKU # 57584
  • 28 Nosler
  • 24" barrel
  • 1:8.44 Twist Rate, 5GR (5 Groove)
  • Factory blueprinted action
  • Lightweight Stainless Steel Receiver with Melonite Finish
  • Grey AccuFit ™ Stock with Adj. Comb height, Length of Pull, and overmold surfaces
  • Exclusive PROOF Research Carbon Fiber Wrapped Stainless Steel Cut Rifled Barrel
  • Threaded muzzle for 5/8 24 with flush fit cap
  • 1.5-4 lb user adjustable AccuTrigger
  • Detachable box magazine
  • Spiral Fluted Bolt
  • Drilled & Tapped Receiver *(8-40)
  • Spec Weight: 6lbs (long action)

Spec's not listed on site:
  • Actual weight (complete rifle): 6lbs 5.7oz (Yes, almost 6oz more than advertised, as shipped)
  • Max magazine COAL (long action): 3.52" inside dimensions.
  • Stock weight (with trigger guard): 1lb 13.4oz
  • Barreled action weight: 4lbs 5.4oz
  • Muzzle Diameter behind threads: .743 (seems similar to a SS Proof "Bull Sporter")
  • Bolt release location: Bottom bolt release
  • No aluminum bedding block in this "Accustock" just plastic.
  • There is a front pillar (metal)
  • Pay attention to the 8-40 scope base screw. It seems most Savages are 6-48??? This causes issues when finding scope bases.
  • Advertised as an AccuStock. It DOES NOThave an aluminum bedding block. Stock is all "plastic."
    • There is a metal pillars for the front and rear action screw.

View attachment 191286
The 3.52 magazine length will probably be a problem for the 28 N the 195 and 180 bullet will be well into the powder column. My Browning X is 3.64 not much of a difference but definitely longer.

Not sure what Cabela's is selling them for but I'd compare to this site:

They shipped my 28 Nosler out super fast. Less than a week from order to delivery.
Cool thanks, looks like they are sold out anyway. I was told 5 to 8 weeks because no one is there to ship one. Should be quicker as states open back up. With my military pricing and my 5% back for using the black card I should beat that price, plus I want to use up my points on it. Now just to decide on the new scope for it.

Thank you for posting !
I was really curious about the composite magazine with the axis style catch as well as the composite bottom metal.
I can understand why there is no aluminum bedding for the barrel to stock ( weight most likely) as well as the length of the barrel ( again weight issiues )
Let's not forget about the additional added weight of a quality optic as well as that of a 20 MOA rail and appropriate rings. ( More than just a wee bit of added weight here )
But for the life of me for what Savage is charging for this rifle , I am saddened to learn of the magazine's as well as the bottom metal's materials from which they are manufactured .
All of this in the name of weight reduction, where especially after long hours afield as I can attest to can become very taxing.
I myself would gladly accept a few ounces more for a reliable metal magazine and bottom metal, as this rifle is designed to be used primarily under varying conditions and climates, in the harvesting of game .
To that end , I would be inclined to use a reliable as well as dependable magazine much like one that is found on the Savage # 16 Weather Warrior, or # 16 Bear Hunter ) both of which I own in .300 Win Mag & .338 Win Mag respectively and are designed with hunting in mind , rather than one will not stay locked in place ,and that has been noted to break off the plastic magazine catch in cold weather.
I would want to change that out to a steel magazine as I already have a model 11 in .308 caliber that I picked up as a used firearm and was planning on using it for my next build and will be modifying accordingly.
Maybe I'm missing something here ?
Perhaps , hopefully Savage is using a newer stronger, and more durable composite material in their magazine's construction as well as bottom metal. However from the modification that you have done to make yours fit I am highly suspect on that matter.
OBTW I was contemplating A Savage Ultra Lite chambered in .300 Win Mag caliber, but until I get more feed back like you have given I'll just hold back awhile longer. ( At current time very little in the way of reviews )
I contacted Savage Arms recently about the converting of the bottom metal on my model #11 to accept a Magpull or Savage standard metal magazine on the aforementioned model #11 . I was told that the cost to convert on my end would be $140.00 for the bottom metal and magazine latch assembly.
As of two weeks ago however Savage Arms is are not taking any orders and are concentrating instead on repairs.
In Closing:
Please do not take my comments as negative in any way , shape ,or manner as I wish you the very best with your new rifle.
Again Thank You for sharing your findings and the informative photographs that you've so thoughtfully included !
With the initial cost all the changing of stocks and bottom metal and this and that why not just go to a pawnshop find an old beater Savage rifle put a proof barrel on it you'll be money ahead for basically the same rifle you're going to end up with

That not the same I'm not sure how much weight they take off but it would be more like buy that beater rifle, send to smith to have them four bolt and action then barrel. So add in that and you have added a good amount.
I look at it like it may not need the accustock. If you bed or my guess is you will get it to shoot better than the driver. I have several light weight rifles and being that light is very hard to stretch out. So say you get it to MOA most game have a 8" ish vital.
1moa would put you at 7-800 yards. Most will get these shooting much better than moa. These will be tough to shoot long range.

Cool thanks, looks like they are sold out anyway. I was told 5 to 8 weeks because no one is there to ship one. Should be quicker as states open back up. With my military pricing and my 5% back for using the black card I should beat that price, plus I want to use up my points on it. Now just to decide on the new scope for it.

$1099 here

43F66C0C-FA02-41B2-A942-20B780522557.jpeg

24" barrel makes a little more sense when you have a suppressor on the end. TBAC Ultra 338.

*Still waiting on parts to ship and then I'll get out and zero this thing. Received my Seekins ATC muzzle brake today. Super disappointed in their quality control. Lock nut threading is messed up and will not thread onto the barrel.

Last edited: