Savage 110 Ultralite - 28 Nosler, Proof Research, 24" Barrel,

Pretty disappointing they couldn't put it in an accufit stock with a real dbm.
I researched dropping the rifle into an Accustock w/ bedding block. What I've found is that the recoil lug is larger on these and they won't "drop in" without modifying (shaving down) the lug and/or modifying the bedding block (removing material).

Based on a a forum I was reading, the AccuStock with bedding block is about 6-8oz heavier. Not a big deal but I think it helps explain the reason they went without (6lbs or less). That, and hitting a price point. The Proof barrel has to be exponentially more expensive than a standard Savage barrel.

Last edited:
Swap the recoil lug and put in a accustock with dbm would be good to go. I got one of the cheap stocks and it's got pillars but it's really flimsy in fore end.

The bottom metal and trigger guard are plastic. The magazine is metal sides with a plastic/rubber bottom.
View attachment 191868View attachment 191869
Thank you for posting !
I was really curious about the composite magazine with the axis style catch as well as the composite bottom metal.
I can understand why there is no aluminum bedding for the barrel to stock ( weight most likely) as well as the length of the barrel ( again weight issiues )
Let's not forget about the additional added weight of a quality optic as well as that of a 20 MOA rail and appropriate rings. ( More than just a wee bit of added weight here ) For the life of me and for Savage is charging for this rifle , I am saddened to learn of the magazine as well as the bottom metal's polycarbonate materials from which they are manufactured . ( In order to manufacture a firearm that is less cumbersome )
All of this in the name of weight reduction, where especially after long hours afield as I can attest to can become very taxing, leaving shoulders and back sore.
I myself would gladly accept a few ounces more for a reliable metal magazine and bottom metal, as this rifle is designed to be used primarily under varying conditions and climates, in the harvesting of game .
To that end , I would be inclined to use a reliable as well as dependable magazine much like one that is found on the Savage # 16 Weather Warrior metal detachable box, or # 16 Bear Hunter hinged floorplate. Both of which I own in .300 Win Mag & .338 Win Mag respectively and are designed with hunting in mind . Both styles either the floor plate or the metal magazine style , lock or snap in place securely and are not prone to breakage or malfunction, This is what I would prefer rather than a plastic magazine that is known to have issiues like not staying locked in place ,and that has been prone to break off the plastic magazine catch in cold weather.
I would change that out to a steel magazine as I already have a model 11 in .308 caliber that I picked up as a used firearm and was planning on using it for my next build and will be modifying accordingly. Guess what it came equipped with a polycarbonate magazine which gave me the same issiues that you have noted !
I.M.H.O. much improvement is needed from Savage regarding this type of magazine and the way that it locks in place on rifles that are so equipped.
Maybe I'm missing something here ?
Perhaps , hopefully Savage is using a newer stronger, and more durable composite material in their magazine's construction as well as bottom metal. However from the modification that you have done to make yours fit I am highly suspect on that matter.
OBTW I was contemplating A Savage Ultra Lite chambered in .300 Win Mag caliber, but until I get more feed back like you have given I'll just hold back awhile longer. ( At current time very little in the way of reviews )
I contacted Savage Arms recently about the changing out of bottom metal on my model #11 to accept a Magpull or Savage standard metal magazine on the aforementioned model #11 . I was told that the cost for parts needed on my end would be $140.00 for the bottom metal and magazine latch assembly. (A.I.C.S magazine bottom metal is no longer sold)
As of two weeks ago however Savage Arms is are not taking any orders and are concentrating instead on repairs.
In Closing:
Please do not take my comments as negative in any way , shape ,or manner as I wish you the very best with your new rifle.
Again Thank You for sharing your findings and the informative photographs that you've so thoughtfully included !

Last edited:
I bet if you weigh it without the bolt it's what they Advertise. I actually really like theses rifles. Let's not forget they offer what others want in many other models. Is it a perfect system nope but it does the job it was intended. Kinda wish they had a few different calibers. But overall I like them.
Kinda glad to see the weight is higher because at least it makes me feel better about my custom light weight stuff.

Setting it up in an accu stock is not hard, even if you dont remove the lug. I ground the bottom and sides of the lug for clearance and used a rotary burr to remove some material from the area in front of the lug pocket. I then bedded it. Excellent results. This was for a savage 12FV.

How's the recoil?
I'm still waiting on scope bases and my muzzle brake to show up. Seems the gun related sellers are having a hard time keeping up with demand in this COVID-19 world.

Note:
*Scope bases need to be 8-40 screws.

I'll put a couple rounds down range un-braked, just to see. I imagine it'll be like shooting a lightweight, unbraked 300 Win mag. Not pleasant in my experience. :eek:

I ended up finding a weaver rail for this
only one i could find with 8x40 screws
Not my first choice but it seems to be ok