Safety question re mismatched bolt

Ron-NJ

Hello guys - been lurking for a while. Taking in all the knowledge. Now I have a specific question. So my semi-custom rifle ordered in January finally arrived this week. Bolt action in 6.5PRC. Upon assembling the gun at my gun shop I realized they sent the wrong bolt. It will clear the bolt release, but then only gets halfway down the chamber before stopping. So either they sent the wrong bolt, prob .308, or the barrel that is stamped 6.5 PRC is actually something else. Highly likely they sent the wrong bolt. (They obviously didn't do a function test before shipping.) My question is, what would have happened if they had sent one slightly smaller. Say 6.5 Creed or 6 Creed. Would I have been able to seat that bolt and chamber a round? And if so, I imagine if i attempted to fire a round things wouldn't have gone so well.

Thanks for any info

Ron

Hello guys - been lurking for a while. Taking in all the knowledge. Now I have a specific question. So my semi-custom rifle ordered in January finally arrived this week. Bolt action in 6.5PRC. Upon assembling the gun at my gun shop I realized they sent the wrong bolt. It will clear the bolt release, but then only gets halfway down the chamber before stopping. So either they sent the wrong bolt, prob .308, or the barrel that is stamped 6.5 PRC is actually something else. Highly likely they sent the wrong bolt. (They obviously didn't do a function test before shipping.) My question is, what would have happened if they had sent one slightly smaller. Say 6.5 Creed or 6 Creed. Would I have been able to seat that bolt and chamber a round? And if so, I imagine if i attempted to fire a round things wouldn't have gone so well.

Thanks for any info

Ron

First thing to do is find another Gun Smith and see if he can solve your problem. If you have to do it your self, The first thing to do Is with the action open make sure that there is no obstruction in the chamber. then without placing a round in the chamber, Try to close the bolt. If it closes on an empty chamber the problem is probably the chamber it's self.

Next find or buy an appropriate go gauge ($35.00) dollars and check the head space. If the correct head space gauge doesn't fit, The chamber is wrong.

It is unbelievable that the smith didn't function test the rifle and for sure test fire the rifle.

WARNING : DON'T PLACE A LIVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER UNTIL THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN RESOLVED.

J E CUSTOM

Can you push down the magazine follower and close the bolt? What action did you start with? I doubt it is the wrong bolt unless it was switched right before shipping. Someone grabbed the wrong bolt.

I will talk to the company tomorrow. This isn't a full custom rifle from a gunsmith. Obviously I am am expecting it to be made right whether that is them sending a new bolt or me shipping the entire rifle back to them. I was really more interested to know the mechanics of the specific question I asked....Is there a scenario where a 6.5 Creed or 6 Creed would fit into a 6.5 PRC barrel. Chamber a round. And then fire that round.
This bolt made it into the chamber. It just didnt make it all the way to seating and closing.

are you chambering a round? or just trying to close the bolt

you said your were "assembling" it at your gun shop, did you install the barrel? I think we are missing a few key points to fully understand the problem

Sorry for not being more specific. Was only attempting to insert the bolt and run a function test. Not chambering a round.

I assumed by the gun shop reference it was shipped to his FFL gun shop, and as in most rifles, the bolt is packaged, not installed in the rifle. When he got to his gun shop to pick up the rifle, he tried to install the bolt.

Ron, the cartridge your rifle is supposed to be is 6.5 PRC. That cartridge has a larger case head .532", than the Creedmoor, which is .473.

Incidentally, the 308 bolt face is the same as the Creedmoor. They are both .473".
Also, the bolt never makes it "into the chamber".
I believe you are referring to the lug recess in the action?

I have a guess to your question, but there's no way I'm willing to answer it.

Apparently other knowledgeable folks feel the same.

Find a local mentor to help you out please.

It's a fool's game to play at this.

I assumed by the gun shop reference it was shipped to his FFL gun shop, and as in most rifles, the bolt is packaged, not installed in the rifle. When he got to his gun shop to pick up the rifle, he tried to install the bolt. Correct.

Ron, the cartridge your rifle is supposed to be is 6.5 PRC. That cartridge has a larger case head .532", than the Creedmoor, which is .473. Understood.

Incidentally, the 308 bolt face is the same as the Creedmoor. They are both .473".
Also, the bolt never makes it "into the chamber". Thank you. I should have said the bolt went half way down the action and was never able to seat the chamber.
I believe you are referring to the lug recess in the action?

I have a guess to your question, but there's no way I'm willing to answer it.
I'm not sure what you think I am asking you to say that is so controversial. Would a bolt for a 6.5 Creedmoor fit into the action of a 6.5 PRC rifle?

It's not a question of controversy. It's a question of liability.

It's in your original question. Could you put the correct cartridge in a rifle with the wrong bolt installed and would it fire?

You aren't supposed to EVER have to know that.

No one i know (including me) would take on the liability of answering that, in writing on an internet forum.

Hypothetically let's say someone said yeah it'll go in the bolt will close but the case won't fire, even gives a few specifics of why not, then someone does it, and it does fire. Now someone wants to sue someone else because he said it wouldn't and he ruined his rifle and got hurt or dead.

Count yourself lucky you didn't have to find out first hand, and move on.

The reason for the post was to ask people more knowledgeable than myself what the possibilities are. Say they send me another bolt. This one is 6.5 Creedmoor. (The bolts aren't marked.) Will it fit and cycle in my 6.5 PRC rifle? End of question.

The bolts are generally the same size, the bolt face openings are different (to a degree) --- did you try pushing the magazine follower down to make sure it's not catching on it?

Find a gunsmith and have him check it or send it back--- it's not right if the bolt wont close without a cartridge in the chamber.

If you were to fire a smaller cartridge case than the chamber you have, the brass will surely balloon to your chamber but may not seal and could allow gasses to escape back to your bolt face, or worse- your hand or face.

Play it safe and have a more knowledgeable person look at it when it comes to safety.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.