Question about re barreling?

dyllan78

I am in the market for another Rem 700 with the idea of wanting to customize it in the near future. If I buy a short action (270 wsm), would I be able to go back to a long action when rebarreling (like a 7 rem mag or 30-06) if I wanted. And the same the other way around. If I bought a 30-06 would I be able to rebarrel it with a short mag caliber. Thanks

I am in the market for another Rem 700 with the idea of wanting to customize it in the near future. If I buy a short action (270 wsm), would I be able to go back to a long action when rebarreling (like a 7 rem mag or 30-06) if I wanted. And the same the other way around. If I bought a 30-06 would I be able to rebarrel it with a short mag caliber. Thanks

The short actions are not suitable for the longer cartridges "But" the long actions can be used for both long and short cartridges.

If you use a long action for a short cartridge you will have to set up the mage for it but that is not a real problem.

Also If you go with a long action cartridge (Like a 3006) you can change the bolt or have it opened up for the Magnum cartridges.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

Thanks, I don't know what caliber I want to rebarrel later on so I guess it would be safe to go with a 30-06. That will give me the option to go short mag later if I want to. Besides the Rem cdl SF is hard to find in the short mags. thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.