Ruger precision rifle

I really like my .308 RPR what's not too like 3/8th inch groups with factory ammo, but if someone want's to give me $500 more than I paid then hell yes I will sale it.
If it was 6.5CM and that price was within $300 of MSRP.....

I was hoping for a 6.5, but can't say I'm unsatisfied with the 308 in any way. I put a Viper HST 4-16 on it and it's has really been amazing for the price.
I paid $1099 for the gun - I have seen people paying 1400-1500 after looking online after I saw what people said.
Figure I have $650 in the scope, rings, and level
For under 2K It is a hard animal too beat. being the buyer seller I am if someone wanted to pay me $1400-1500 for the gun or $2100 for the package I would be forced to sale, I can always get another one 2-3 years later when they are back down in price

For people wondering what the real world performance is like, Check out Ruger Precision Rifle page on FB. There iss a ton of stuff there.

As some of you know, I have been trying to build my Tikka T3 in, 270wsm for the last few years(money). Finally get close to getting it started by Bob Greene and then the RPR comes out. Total for my build till it is done will be about $3,300. Talked with Bob and while he is more than glad to build my rifle, the RPR in 6.5 seems, in his mind , maybe a better way to go for right now. It would solve a lot of issues. 6.5 much easier to load for than a custom .270wsm, Matrix bullets are much easier to come by seeing as 175 for the .277 will be next to impossible to get. I dont know. I have heard great things about this rifle, may be sell my .277 Brux and have enough for a 6.5 tube , If I so desire??

I have had the chance to shoot both the Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor, and the Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 Creedmoor. Both of them were able to produce 1/2 MOA or smaller groups with factory ammunition. Both of them solid rifles, and had semi impressive triggers for being budget rifles. Just to make sure these rifles were off the wall flukes, I borrowed from others, and saw the same results. These are great entry level rifles.

I own the American Pred, RPR, and Hawkeye Pred. The hawkeye is the most accurate of my three. And has the best trigger.....

IMG_6381_zpsmbrx82ki.jpg

Huntsman, that's a beautiful array of accurate Rugers there. Are they all 6.5 CM?

I'd love to own a Ruger Precision Rifle with a Bartlein barrel. That will happen about a year or so after I get my RPR. I'll also get the bolt face trued with the barrel install.

all 6.5's. Comparing the two, the RPR is just an American in a chassis with a different bolt shroud, VT contour barrel and an AR safety compatible trigger. The bolts actually interchange, and work in either (check headspace before firing).

IMG_6994_zpsyqpiqmrk.jpg

IMG_6987_zps0tc7snxj.jpg

Very interesting. I wondered about bolt interchangeability. Yep, headspace is generally rifle dependent as it is likely set at the factory, especially on the RPR.

And yeah, my American Predator is giving 1/2" groups with 140 gr. Hornady Superformance factory ammo. 129 gr. rounds seem to open up to 3/4". Can't wait to get my 6.5 CM dies. I think I'll get Neil Jones dies B/C I know him personally and have his .300 Win Mag dies.

Well.... got my RPR 308 a couple of weeks ago... and the 6.5 finally came in today. I really wanted the 6.5, but after getting out to the range a couple of times with the 308, I am so happy with it... that I actually sold the 6.5 within 5 hours of buying it (I am not a wealthy man... and I don't really need both, [want yes... need no] so I decided to keep whichever didn't sell first). Man that 6.5 got all the love when I posted them both up for sale this afternoon. It's all good because I got an additional $290 above what I paid for the creedmoor.

Now before you go thinking I'm evil.... keep in mind that I just spent $1428 on the 308... so instead of paying $368 over retail for my 308... by selling the creedmoor, I'm still $78 over what it would have cost me had I just waited. So all things considered.... he got a much better deal than had he gone to gunbroker and paid shipping, fll fees, and potentially cc fees. Plus.. the prices for 6.5s there are insane and I didn't squeeze the price point so that I didn't take a bit of a loss myself. He's happy and I'm happy, so it's all good.

Now to why I really came to post. I absolutely love the RPR 308 but in all candor... it shot the standard factory winchester 150 and 180 gr pills like crap. I was a little shocked at how bad my groups where on my first outing. BUT... I finessed the once fired brass, neck turned, gave them the full treatment, tossed in some 215 Berger VLD hybrids, and I'm loving it. First batch yielded a few nice loads, but I found 2 groups that are .5gr apart which gave me .8x MOA shooting out to 200 yards. With a little tweaking, I'm fairly confident that I can get this gun shooting around .5 MOA.

So for any of you guys shooting the 308 and having a tough time finding a factory load that works... you might consider working up a load yourself. When I find the best node... I'll post the results.
RPR-308-Target-200yds.jpg

Oh, that's a shame. Your RPR shoots so poorly you hit the poor prairie dog instead of the rock.

Working up loads with my new 243 RPR. If it wasn't a fluke my last 3 shot of the day was one hole and a SD of 8.1 I may have found a good load of 45.5 of H 1000 and a 105 A max. I will find out the next time I get to the ra20151013_164545.jpgnge with more than 3 shots.

I am looking forward to testing one of these myself. I have a 6.5 RPR that was delivered today. I hope to pick it up tomorrow and put a Zeiss HD5 on it. I was able to find the rifle for less than $1,000.00 and I am getting a pretty good deal on the scope, so I should be shooting by this weekend. Supply must be catching up with the demand, finally. This will be my first 6.5 creedmoor so I am going factory ammo until I can get my reloading dies and bullets. Hopefully it likes Hornady. If it does, I hope to go ahead and bag a whitetail with it this weekend. If not, maybe some hogs next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.