Ruger Precision Rifle Question...

crazyhorse

I recently had the opportunity to test a new RPR in .308 for 30 days (it's a long story). I must say its one of the smartest designs I've seen in a production gun. Seems very well built and very functional by design. The problem I'm having is that it struggles to hold MOA with Federal GMM 168's. I'm kinda like the guy who says "only accurate guns are interesting" but this little gun is hard to give up for a lot of reasons.
I have more custom rifles than I deserve and for some reason I've never owned a .308. I think it's because I have used them for so long at work and always wanted something different and a little stronger for hunting and long range when buying for myself. A little age and common sense and a virtually unlimited supply of brass now has me interested in the caliber for myself.
One thing I've noticed when cleaning it is an unusual amount of little bits of brass and copper on the patches when pushed through the bore. Not the colors you typically get from cleaning the barrel but almost like little pepper sized flakes. Ive checked the spent casing and there are no major marks or scratches indicative of the cause, as I type I'm thinking I should cycle a few rounds without firing and look at the bullet itself.
I'm fairly competent when it comes to shooting and basic care of a rifle but will admit I couldn't clean tools for a competent gunsmith! Could the shavings be coming from an overly sharp edge somewhere in the chamber? I have to think that all of that stuff accumulating in the barrel would have to affect accuracy on some level. Thoughts?
One last thing is that the barrel on the RPR comes threaded 5/8x24. Last year I bought the little Ruger American Ranch in 300blk for a fun plinker that I could run my can on and have fun with pest control at the farm. The little American is threaded to 5/8x24 as well and my can screws right on with no issues. The thread caps on both rifes are identical and will interchange with no issues. However, my can will only go about three turns on the RPR before it gets so tight that I'm scared it will damage my can if I apply any more pressure.
Has the early success and good reviews pushed the demand of the RPR to the point that mass production runs to keep up have affected quality? (Somewhat of a rhetorical question I guess)

crazyhorse,

One thing I've noticed when cleaning it is an unusual amount of little bits of brass and copper on the patches when pushed through the bore. Not the colors you typically get from cleaning the barrel but almost like little pepper sized flakes.

From Ruger's website for this rifle:

Cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with 5R Rifling at minimum bore and groove dimensions, minimum headspace and centralized chamber.

The only reason I waste your time by posting this blurb from Ruger is that the interior bore of the cold hammer forged barrels are usually smooth when the process is completed. This may or may not include the chamber... I question the use of the term 'centralized chamber' since it is nebulous at best as to what they actually mean without really saying it. It's a product of the advertising agency's writers.

There is the possibility though that the magazines are scratching the brass and the throat is scratching the bullets. I've seen both more times than I care to remember. But to be sure bore scope the chamber, throat and look at the magazine lips for signs of small burrs and sharp edges.

As to the FGMM not performing up to it's reputation, I don't think it's unusual at all. I know, it's the 'gold standard' for testing the accuracy of many rifles but as has been stated so often, every rifle is a unique individual system no matter whether it is mass produced or not.

I have found that when the 168 gr. FGMM does not turn out the accuracy I'm looking for I switch to the 175 gr. FGMM and never look back. I know that sounds odd but it seems to follow that pattern. It also makes it much easier for the shooter who does not reload. Buy it off the shelf and keep shooting.

The problem with threads is the way they're cut and the gauge which is used to test them. There can be significant differences in gauges. In some threading processes a slightly dull tool can be compensated for if caught. If not, the thread simply moves on through the process and gets caught by final QC. Since Ruger is not known for using time to check things like this on every rifle, my guess would be that your RPR muzzle thread is out of spec. The demand for this rifle has been so high that Ruger is pumping them out as fast as they can possibly produce them and some flaws make it past QC.

This can be solved by a gunsmith who can remove the barrel and re-cut the threads on a lathe. However, if this rifle doesn't belong to you, this probably isn't a solution.

All-in-all, I think this is a good rifle for beginners based on price point and minimum quality but anyone with any competition experience at all will move on to a custom rifle of much better quality.

Regards.

Its a production rifle. Some will shoot amazing, some average, some worse than average.

Try another example. If you already have questions about it you wont be happy. You have to put up with stuff out of your control at work but I will absolutely have it my way in a voulntary hobby!

Sable is right about the 175s, and in any case they are much better out to 1000 yards than the168s anyway, the 168 has a well documented poor boat tail design that can give it trouble in some cases past 800.

All great points. I guess at the end of the day production guns for the masses are seldom without issue when you have high expectations. Your point about the barrel process creating a smooth bore is fact. The rifle cleans up quick with very little copper fouling. The mag is a plastic Magpul so I don't think it's creating the friction causing the brass and copper flakes, that one still has me confused.

Production rifles can be awesome, I have a remington 5r in 308 that is as accurate as a custom. In fact I have shot more one hole groups with it than any other rifle I have. But Im under no illusion that if I bought another one it would be as good necessarily.

We have it pretty good though, its an awesome time to be a long range shooter when people are ho hum about an off the shelf moa rifle!!

Just a quick update...

I contacted Ruger about the issues listed in my post and they were very cooperative and seem willing to make it right. Rep said that it is important that they keep this rifle "as advertised" and will contact me tomorrow with information to exchange for a new one. Kudos to ruger for great customer service!

I will provide an update on how the next one performs.

Any word on your rifle situation. I recently picked up the same rifle in .308 due to the fact that my custom will not be ready for my long range class. I have found that the factory ammo performs ok, maybe 1 moa. I have since loaded 175 smk and have been able to get the grouping down to less than .5. Just interested if your problem has been fixed.

I sent the rifle back at Ruger's request and just received it back 2 days ago (gone for a couple of weeks), not a bad turn around. Got a chance to sight in and shoot a couple groups before the storms ran me out yesterday, both were 5 shot groups and averaged well under MOA. I didn't get a chance to measure because of the rain but with the exception of 2 called fliers they were all touching. Very pleased with the accuracy and the weird fouling issue went away. However, my can still won't fit! I would blame it on the can but I have three other rifles of which 2 are custom and one is a Ruger and it screws right on without issue.

All things considered I'm really pleased with the accuracy but equally frustrated with the threading issue!

I sent the rifle back at Ruger's request and just received it back 2 days ago (gone for a couple of weeks), not a bad turn around. Got a chance to sight in and shoot a couple groups before the storms ran me out yesterday, both were 5 shot groups and averaged well under MOA. I didn't get a chance to measure because of the rain but with the exception of 2 called fliers they were all touching. Very pleased with the accuracy and the weird fouling issue went away. However, my can still won't fit! I would blame it on the can but I have three other rifles of which 2 are custom and one is a Ruger and it screws right on without issue.

All things considered I'm really pleased with the accuracy but equally frustrated with the threading issue!
I know nothing of cans other than I want them legalized in CA (fat chance).

I have a RPR .308

It likes Hornady Steel Match. Sub 1/2 moa at 100. Vertical spread at +400 is all the fault of the ammo.

I have not tried to load for it. If I can match Steel Match with better ES, I'll be golden.

That is prelude to commenting and asking about yours.

If your can fits on multiple rifles and the thread protectors are interchangeable and fit other rifles, I think the threads on the can are "tight". Tighter than the thread protector and the threads on the RPR are "large", larger than the other rifles. I am sure all are within spec.

Have you measured the major diameter of the threads on the RPR vs the others?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.