Muzzle Brake Question, Ruger Precision Rifle

Guy M

I removed the muzzle brake from my 6mm Creed Ruger Precision Rifle. It appears that it's plenty big enough to allow use on a 30 cal rifle, which is what I'd like to do.

Are all the muzzle brakes on RPR's (30 cal and smaller) the same diameter? I'm measuring it at about 0.331" and a 308 bullet falls right through.

Thank you, Guy

Last edited:
I removed the muzzle brake from my 6mm Creed Ruger Precision Rifle. It appears that it's plenty big enough to allow use on a 30 cal rifle, which is what I'd like to do.

Are all the muzzle brakes on RPR's (30 cal and smaller) the same diameter? I'm measuring it at about 0.331" and a 308 bullet falls right through.

Thank you, Guy
.331 is well into 30 cal size. Most of my 30 cal run .321-.324.

So Ruger is using the same muzzle brake on a 6mm and 30 caliber? Excuse me for ignorance since I only have one with MB but that seems large for a 6mm or doesn't it matter?

So Ruger is using the same muzzle brake on a 6mm and 30 caliber? Excuse me for ignorance since I only have one with MB but that seems large for a 6mm or doesn't it matter?
I only have my experiences with only about 40-50 different brakes. Many of them used on the same rifle with the same load. My experience in regards to exit hole diameter is it has from zero to maybe not noticeable difference in recoil reduction. I have used them on .223 to only a 338 Edge. What I have found is the exhaust ports and brake design itself creates the recoil reduction. I have a radial from the late 90's designed, and made by a gunsmith in house. To be clear I only have my body meter not some 100K lab equipment to measure down to the .0001gms of energy. I have a few "22cal" brakes and most are "30cal", and the last one I ordered (last week) is another 338. I have another one to order and I'm looking very hard at a "45cal". Then I just put a brake on with matching threads and don't worry about it being "large enough".

You, Sir, are correct; my BWAG is that is their cost-cutting measure. Instead of manufacturing 3 different MBs for 308 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 243 Win. The ideal clearance for optimum performance is .020", as @jimbires noted. I have one of Jim See's blast tamer MB made for 7MM-.30 cal, but it is on a .30 cal rifle.

Thanks guys for clearing that up. I thought my gunsmith said.020" over bullet diameter was where you should be.

This suggested increase of 0.020" over bullet diameter is exactly what has been suggested for the last 30 years that I'm aware of. But...

Be aware that trying to make this dimension tighter (less than 0.020") does not necessarily make the brake more efficient. But the incident of baffle strikes increases the smaller you make the exit hole. The 20 thousandths oversize hole seems to be a good enough compromise to work for many cartridges.

If you think you want to try adding a brake as a DIY project, be sure to pay close attention to concentricity and bore alignment.

Enjoy!
:)

Thanks sable t, I left the muzzle brake job to my gunsmith since he's been putting them on for 20+ years but what I like is he explains the what's and why's on what's getting done. He mentioned the .020 and also importance of bore alignment. I will probably never attempt it myself but I do like to learn.

My brakes are all .020" over bullet diameter. However, my Browning HC 6.5 Creed came with a useless brake that didn't do much for recoil and could easily have fit on a 340 Wby. I sent the brake out to a guy who makes brakes and he said "I can't imagine how this brake could reduce recoil at all".

Only because the barrel was threaded from the factory, I decided to have a proper brake made and contour fitted.

Someone posted an analysis of exactly how much recoil reduction was lost by oversizing the exit hole. IIRC, the study showed that oversizing by one step (ex; .224 having a .243 hole, or, .270 having a .284 hole) there was barely any loss, but oversizing by several steps caused a measurable difference in recoil reduction.