Ruger precision rifle

I like the idea. Looks like a nice unit. Put me down for a .243 and clean up the chamber to 243 ack. Anyone know how a 243 improved will feed out of a pmag?

I'm thinking 308 simple because I already reload for it and I already have a 260 so I don't see any need for the greedmore(pun). I'm curious on how they came up with the barrel length configuration for each caliber? With the 308 being the shortest and lightest of the models?

........... I'm curious on how they came up with the barrel length configuration for each caliber? With the 308 being the shortest and lightest of the models?

In thinking about the rifles application, a shorty .308 is very handy for LEO sharpshooters. They don't need large, powerful chamberings nor do they need to shoot at what we here consider long range so the .308 Win is a nearly perfect chambering.

The rifle looks very tacticool w/attachment rails everywhere. Ruger can produce accurate rifles, what remains to be seen is just how accurate these particular rifles actually are.

In any event, I wouldn't want to schlep that heavy hog up into elk country.....:D

I'm thinking 308 simple because I already reload for it and I already have a 260 so I don't see any need for the greedmore(pun). I'm curious on how they came up with the barrel length configuration for each caliber? With the 308 being the shortest and lightest of the models?

308 is more efficient in that length than the other 2 rounds. But of course to be optimal with a 308 they should have offered both in that round. Scroll down to barrel lengths
.308 Winchester Cartridge Guide

Here are a couple of good articles on the rifle, I see interchangeable barrels coming soon, easy to have the Creed & 308.
Sniper's Hide - Long Range Shooting, Precision Marksmanship, Gear Testing & Reviews - Scout Front Page

Real Guns - A Ruger Precision Rifle In 6.5 Creedmoor

If you told me I would even own a Ruger when I was 16 years old, I'd say you were full of it. Now, I admit they are not the same as they were and of course I was "wrong", well mostly just young with all the things that go with that. Over the years Rugers have gained reputation and I got older. When the "Ruger American" line came out, based on the success with my 10/22, 22/45 and single action pistols, I got a Ruger American Rimfire to try out and see how the "new" stuff works. At first it was "interesting" then I took 2 inches off the 22" barrel and was very careful with the crown. The result was fantastic. Waiting for a walnut stock for it to replace the plastic one.

Just background that I am open but critical in assessment of Ruger products. I do have a 10/22 very "build out", American Rimfire, Bisley Vaquero and Blackhawk and rimfire "race guns". Maybe some day I'll get on the program and hook up some videos of the 10/22 in action.

So on to the RPR. Of course I do not have one so looking at the videos, reviews and Real Guns - A Ruger Precision Rifle In 6.5 Creedmoor

I like many things about it.

Recoil path in the center line with the barrel is very very nice.
Folding stock is very cool.
How the stock is installed is even better.
A "lower" that accepts MSR grips and multiple types of magazine is rockin.
The tools in the bolt shroud which telescopes into a standard MSR buffer tube.

Things I worry about.

I have hit or miss experience with cold hammer forged barrels.

None of this is news to anyone.

I am about to change my 260 Rem to a 22-250 and will find myself with no 260/6.5mm Rifle. I think the RPR will be just the thing. There is of course the problem of options paralysis. Will they make a 300 Win Mag version? Can you get a "Ruger American" 223 bolt and have a barrel fitted? Would I be better getting the RPR and fitting the 22 caliber Pac-Nor barrel to it?

To me it looks like Ruger hit a home run with this one. Now I just have to get my hands on one...........

Not really a fan of ruger bolt guns or semi auto center fires. I think the 10/22 is the standard for a rimfire, so I believe ruger does deliver. So maybe ruger got it right this time with their new rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a fan of ruger bolt guns or semi auto center fires. I think the 10/22 is the standard for a rimfire, so I believe ruger does deliver. So maybe ruger got it right this time with there new rifle.

I'm willing to take the gamble this time. If anyone sees one for sale or they show up on gallery of guns let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-Order in at Turner Outdoorsman.

In store only.

Closest to me is Oxnard, CA 160 miles.

I'd like to run the Ruger next to my (ex)10BA and the Colt CLR for comparison.
But I'm positive it has them both beat in pricing.

Hope someone comes out with a better trigger then a heavy 2.5 Lb. pull. I like the idea of it and will see how it performs.

Since Ruger has already shown how to remove the trigger group, I'm sure we can figure it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.