Ruger precision rifle

Working up loads with my new 243 RPR. If it wasn't a fluke my last 3 shot of the day was one hole and a SD of 8.1 I may have found a good load of 45.5 of H 1000 and a 105 A max. I will find out the next time I get to the raView attachment 52827nge with more than 3 shots.

Sounds like a very dependable load and some nice shooting. Seating depth?

The good news on these is the ability to run AI Mags, but also barrels are starting to show up for them. So if it starts to act up, barrels are not hard to come by.

Sounds like a very dependable load and some nice shooting. Seating depth?

Seating depth was just off the lands. 2.270 with the Hornady comparator. I have another good load using Ramshot Magnum . Waiting on the weather to calm down I have several other powders I want to try. May can get out this afternoon?

Got a 6.5 and have to say it's a pretty good shooting gun. Bought a box factory 140 Amax's pulled one apart and it looked like H4350 and weighed 42.2 gr. Hand loaded the same and at about 50 rounds it tightened up nicely to an easy 1/2 MOA at 100. Shot it at 810 this weekend in pretty tough wind for me anyway, variable 4 - 15 mph and had vertical of 5" or less all day. Strangely when I chronoed during the first 50 ES was disappointing 40ish so I expected vertical to be worse than it was. Next time out I will check again to see if it has improved with a little use, I suspect it has or vertical would have been worse. With a brake it's easy to spot your own shots. At this point the only thing I would change if aftermarket was available is trigger. The blade is kind of gritty and there is a little creep but it did adjust down to 2 1/2 lbs. Pretty darn good value.

Got mine in and the Zeiss on it today. I am going to try it out Saturday. I hope to get sighted in quickly with 140 Amax but I have some 120 Amax and 129 SSTs as well. I was impressed with the overall fit and finish of the rifle. The trigger felt good and I believe it is set light on mine already but I haven't put a pull gauge on it yet. I can't wait to hear it go bang. This was the first Ruger Precision both gun stores I took it to had seen. Hard finding rings to fit and thought I was going to have to go with super highs but decided to go with a Burris AR P.E.P.R. and the height was perfect without raising the cheek piece. If I can get it sighted in I will probably try it on a few of my field hunting spots next weekend to see how it does on whitetail.

I own the American Pred, RPR, and Hawkeye Pred. The hawkeye is the most accurate of my three. And has the best trigger.....

IMG_6381_zpsmbrx82ki.jpg

That's what I'm talking about !! Is that PTG bottom metal on the Hawkeye? Or take off from a Ruger Gunsight Scout rifle? I want to do that with all my Hawkeye s and M77 Mk2 s .
Very.impressed!!

Last edited:
No, It's a Wyatt's Ruger DBM. The PTG won't work on the MK II/hawkeye pred or VT with a two-stage trigger. And, I didn't want the plastic ruger GSR junk.

The Wyatt's is drop-in, too....

I saw mine today. Thank you dragman.

Paperwork done. Now just 10 days in CA DOJ jail.

Hello Gentlemen (from down in NZ)

Got my Ruger PR yesterday and headed to the range for a short session after working up a load at home using Quickload and a chrony. Attached a Harris bipod.

The rifle seems to want to shoot BUT I have only ever shot hunting weight and style rifles at a bench, never with a bipod, and I've never shot a rifle with an AR grip.

So I found that it was very different to shoot, and I don't know that I did that well. For example the rifle after recoil was no longer "on target". I also have slim long fingers and couldn't really fill my hand on the grip, I think I need a larger one.

So I'd really appreciate a few pointers as to how to shoot this sort of rifle well !! I'm happy to be pointed to an online link or the like.

Thanks

As the grip is AR15. Any aftermarket grips will fit. All you need t do is find one that is big enough for your hand. As to the rifle staying on target after the shot. Some of it has to do with how much drop in the butt you have, some is how your body is aligned with the rifle on the bench.
I was having problems getting the groups I knew my rifles could make until I made a seat riser. The benches at the local shooting range must have been made to fit some skinny guy over 2 meters tall. . I made a 4" seat riser and my groups shrunk and got a lot more consistent.

I have a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and it is a tack driver.
Bushnell scope, ERS 3.5 - 21 X 50 mm with Horus H59 reticle, Nightforce Unmount scope rings.
oresighted at home.

The 1st shots were at 50 yds to get on paper. (Hornady 140 gr. A-MAX)
1.>12 o'clock nick
2.> 2 o'clock
3. thru 9 > horizontal string due to three scope adjustments to the left

BOTTOM PAIRED SHOTS at 100 yds.: (Hornady 129 gr. SST)
1 & 2 at 5 o'clock
3 & 4 at 6:30
5 & 6 in orange X ring

I only had time to shoot groups of two as the range was closing

Can't wait to start reloading Berger bullets. Waiting for Forster dies and Hornady brass. I'm hoping to get into PRS competition with this rig. Photos of it soon.

Attachments

• 1st RPR shots 10:31:'15.jpeg
    1st RPR shots 10:31:'15.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 79
Hello Gentlemen (from down in NZ)

Got my Ruger PR yesterday and headed to the range for a short session after working up a load at home using Quickload and a chrony. Attached a Harris bipod.

The rifle seems to want to shoot BUT I have only ever shot hunting weight and style rifles at a bench, never with a bipod, and I've never shot a rifle with an AR grip.

So I found that it was very different to shoot, and I don't know that I did that well. For example the rifle after recoil was no longer "on target". I also have slim long fingers and couldn't really fill my hand on the grip, I think I need a larger one.

So I'd really appreciate a few pointers as to how to shoot this sort of rifle well !! I'm happy to be pointed to an online link or the like.

Thanks

There is a site called Snipers Hide that has very good instructional videos you may want to check out.
As for the grip, I like the Ergo deluxe. It's a fairly fat grip that works well with my XXL sized mitts.

You are probably experiencing bipod hop that's causing you to lose your sight picture. Do you use a muzzle brake?

Yes Snipers Hide has been talking about the RPR for a long time. It is over 60 pages long and going. Several have put custom barrels on them already. It is a very informative site.

Curious to know if any of you who have had your RPR for any length of time has issues with the cheek riser sliding forward as you are shooting? I've locked the cheek riser tab solid and the cheek riser will slide as I'm shooting but the height remains locked solid, I can't manually move the riser foreward or backwards with my hand and seems to be very solid but yet it will slide whenever I am shooting.

It's a .308 and after 200 rounds that is the only negative I have for the rifle but it is quite annoying and it has done it every time I've shot it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts