Ruger precision rifle

They don't move when you have them on right. Take it apart the clamp has to fit in the groves not on top of the groves.

Curious to know if any of you who have had your RPR for any length of time has issues with the cheek riser sliding forward as you are shooting? I've locked the cheek riser tab solid and the cheek riser will slide as I'm shooting but the height remains locked solid, I can't manually move the riser foreward or backwards with my hand and seems to be very solid but yet it will slide whenever I am shooting.

It's a .308 and after 200 rounds that is the only negative I have for the rifle but it is quite annoying and it has done it every time I've shot it.

Don't have one but know what you are talking about. Happens to this reviewer on Youtube, between the 9 min 30 sec and 9 min 45 sec marks. Seems shooters are replacing them because the tabs get caught up on your coat or sleeve and loosen up. Can happen when you are porting the rifle too. So always have to check them before you shoot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOFUwkSfBPU

Thanks Barrelnut ... I did see that review and did see what happened to him and that's what I had intially thought was happening to me as well but in my case the tabs are staying locked down tight and the cheek riser (not the butt) is sliding whenever I shoot the rifle. If you are not aware, the cheek riser on the rifle moves up and down as well as foreward and aft indepedant of the butt stock, and the cheek riser itself is what is moving forward while shooting but not up or down.

I'll investigate further and if I cannot come up with a solution maybe I'll replace the it with a Magpul butt stock.

Rick
Make sure that the cam lever is in the up or down position. I believe the cam bolt is scalloped as to not slide and fit on the groves of the bar. Obviously, you have tightened the nut opposite the cam lever to make it tighter?

E.t.a. Don't go too tight because you can crack the metal clips under the cam levers, it takes a lot of force, but i know from experience.
If you do replace you stock i would be interested in buying the ruger take off

Rick
Make sure that the cam lever is in the up or down position. I believe the cam bolt is scalloped as to not slide and fit on the groves of the bar. Obviously, you have tightened the nut opposite the cam lever to make it tighter?

E.t.a. Don't go too tight because you can crack the metal clips under the cam levers, it takes a lot of force, but i know from experience.
If you do replace you stock i would be interested in buying the ruger take off

Bingo!

Jbone405 you are exactly right, the cheek riser cam bolt is scalloped to either fit into the grooves of the bottom bar or to be able to slide over the grooves if turned 180 degrees for removal so in my case even though the tab was locked in the downward position the scalloped edge on the cam bar was in the 'removal' position and riding above the grooved bar thus allowing the assembly to feel as though it were locked down but was actually sliding whenever I shot. Seems like Ruger could mark the cheek riser tab so that the shooter could know whether or not the cam bar is in the correct position for shooting and removing, I'm going to place a little mark on mine so that I'll know from now on.

But thanks for the advice and if I do remove the factory buttstock and replace it with the Magpul I'll certainly shoot you a PM and give you first dibs on it.

They don't move when you have them on right. Take it apart the clamp has to fit in the groves not on top of the groves.

Please forgive me Tnwhip, I failed to see your reply until after I replied to Jbone405 but you are exactly right and that was my issue ... I probably failed to see and/or read that in the manual. Thanks!

Glad we could help. Sometimes you just have to take things apart just to see how they work. And like me when all else fails read the instructions. That is always the last thing I do lol

Glad we could help. Sometimes you just have to take things apart just to see how they work. And like me when all else fails read the instructions. That is always the last thing I do lol

DOH! (Feeling like an idiot now)

The manual...

Yep, the very described instructions are right there in the manual (page 26) that I briefly skimmed through whenever I first recieved the rifle but failed to refer back to whenever I started having the issue, the very same manual that states "READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND WARNINGS IN THIS MANUAL CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS FIREARM" on the front of the manual. One of these days I'll learn to do things the easy way, even though my wife of 35 years says she'll beg to differ.

But anyway thanks again Tnwhip and Jbones405 for the heads up, I did mark a small 'X' on the silver cam pin for the tab lever so that a quick glance let's me know whether or not the scalloped cam bolt is either in the slide or locked position for future reference.

Also ... Y'all be careful with this nasty weather right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.