Ruger precision rifle

No PRS. I'm purty much tied to this place. It's a SICO Harvester.

Bronze brushes work great....... You don't need a copper mine to have accuracy. A little colloidal graphite works wonders.

Wow.... I finally got my hooks into a RPR. I was hoping for the creedmoor, but a 308 was available and I have a fond place in my heart for it... so I decided to snag it. Should be here early next week. Cost me a little more than I wanted to spend, however, it's the first production rifle that I've really been excited about in a long time. I have guns I like and love, but I just thought that the engineers at Ruger really went the extra mile on this particular rifle and it got me all fired up. I'll change out the caliber when I shoot out this barrel!!

So.... Hunstman22... I love the work on your rifle!! Did you do it yourself.... or have it done? Cerokote??? If so... what was the damage to your wallet? LOL

For those waiting for the RPR.... I called Sportsmans and Cabelas where I have a couple of buddies working and both told me that their Ruger Reps have told them that with the orders they already have across the country, they are looking at a 2 year backorder on the 6.5 creedmoor. They didn't have an estimate on the 308 or 243. So... unless you know someone at a store who can put you on a list or hold one... or you get lucky walking in when they hit the shelf... it could be pretty rough getting your hands on the RPR 6.5. That's why I decided to just bite the bullet (so to speak) on the 308 and I'll just change it over to a short action caliber of my choice when I've shot out the barrel.

Good luck men and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get a shooter out of the box.... or at the very least... can work up a load that I'm happy with for it.

Huntsman22... thanks for the info. You did your paint job with enough style to win a Ruger of the year award... very sweet.​

OK... SO... to the rest of this thread: (I finally got a chance to read it in it's entirety after getting home from work)​

Hammer Forged Accuracy - Hate to be a naysayer for all those that think hammer forged barrels "Walk"... but my Tikka is still in the safe where I left her a month ago. She might sneak out at night when I'm not looking, but she's always back in there when I go to get her, so I'm not too concerned. In all candor, Tikka uses hammer forged barrels. My Tikka Tactical will shoot .7" to .8" groups all day long at 200 yards. She'll do 10 shot groups at 600 that fit into a 2.5x3.75" rectangle all day long... no cooling required. I'm sure that some hammer forged barrels do walk... had a Ruger No. 1 that strung shots fiercely (.270) and I got rid of it, but I think that had more to do with the way the forearm attached to the barrel and the design of the scope mount (the way it absorbs heat from the barrel), more than the fact that the barrel was hammer forged.​

As not to trading a Remy for a Ruger: Hmm... well I'm selling a Savage, a Remington 700 and a Tikka so that I could grab the RPR. I love all 3, but they are all virtually clones of one another (diff method of doing thier actions, etc), in that they all look like.... well.... a standard bolt action rifle. None of them came with a 20 MOA picatinny (I had to buy them myself), have a universal mag (I have to either upgrade my bottom metal and/or find proprietary mags), have adjustable comb and buttstock (get out the strap-on (LOL) cheek riser or buy a stock that costs more than the original rifle costs), have a buttstock that I can adjust the cant (unless I literally tilt left or right to get truly vertical), have the abiltity to change out the grip, buttstock and foregrip with the numerous parts out there for AR15s, come with a folding stock (nuff said), or have the word Precision in the name (THAT'S RIGHT!!!) For Ruger to literally put the word "PRECISION" into the name of one of their rifles goes a long ways to show how confident they are that these guns will be accurate. It's an incredible risk when mass producing a product such as this, because if they aren't accurate, the blowback on Ruger would be fierce and comical for many years to come. It would make them a joke in the industry (I can imagine videos of a dude shooting a target at 10 paces with the RPR.... dirt and dust kicking up in all directions and when the smoke clears... not a single bullet on paper. The guy turns to the camera with a bigazz grin, gives a thumbs up and says, "Now THAT'S PRECISION!!").​

So... all that being said... if you like wood... buy it. If you like Remington or Savage.. show them the love and buy their products. If you yearn for button forged barrels... do it man! But this guy here... thinks the engineers at Ruger got their act together and did something right... something that the rest of the industry was clueless about... and many consumers (such as myself) want... An affordable product that has had a lot of thought put into it, is designed for long range, has out of the box ammenties that would cost a fortune to upgrade if you had to do it piece by piece, and whose amenties provide function for the task at hand... shooting accurately. Even the picatinny for a monopod on the adjustable buttstock is something they didn't need to put there, but they did.​

To all the naysayers out there... nobody on this thread is telling you to buy one. HELL>> DON"T BUY ONE!! These rifles are hard enough to come by as it is. People are reselling them for $500-700 more than they bought them for right out of the box brand new. Please... find a rifle in production right now that you can buy today new, and flip for an extra $500 the following week. Leave these crappy guns to those of us who want them... PLEASE!!​

Last edited:
For those waiting for the RPR.... I called Sportsmans and Cabelas where I have a couple of buddies working and both told me that their Ruger Reps have told them that with the orders they already have across the country, they are looking at a 2 year backorder on the 6.5 creedmoor.

Who would have thought that paying engineers to develop products that customers want instead of paying them to make rifles cheaper to manufacture would ever be a good idea?

With a 2 year backlog I will repeat what I said.

I think they hit a home run here.

There are so man things that are "right" about it.

Well, the wait may be long. Until then, I will have to look at making my own but of course from a Mark V action.

Re: Ruger precision rifle (2 YEAR BAKLOG??!)

When I talker to Ruger Customer Service in late August I was told a 2 MONTH backlog was the maximum.

OK, who am I going to believe?

I have a military "contact" that may lessen my wait time - or not.
At least I'm on a list or three at different shops. Some distributors may be more favored by Ruger than others.

Gotta say, I have never, ever, seen a rifle have this much initial demand.

Re: Ruger precision rifle (2 YEAR BAKLOG??!)

When I talker to Ruger Customer Service in late August I was told a 2 MONTH backlog was the maximum.

OK, who am I going to believe?

I have a military "contact" that may lessen my wait time - or not.
At least I'm on a list or three at different shops. Some distributors may be more favored by Ruger than others.

Gotta say, I have never, ever, seen a rifle have this much initial demand.

Yeah... but from what he said... it was only for the creedmoor. There's apparently 4 Cabelas arms salesmen that want one so they were were attempting to see if they could backdoor an additional 4 rifles. He said that corporate controls ordering and distribution, but they all liked they rpr so much that they thought their ruger contact might put in a special order for their store. Boise Idaho Cabelas.

I really like my .308 RPR what's not too like 3/8th inch groups with factory ammo, but if someone want's to give me $500 more than I paid then hell yes I will sale it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts