right weight for big 338

I was and guess still am, confused that a rifle with brake is harder on scopes than a non-braked rifle (assuming equal rifle weights). I've got a 9 lb. 375 AI, which has a "pretty sporty" (no muzzle brake) recoil....running Leupold glass (which are pretty lightweight scopes), and haven't had a failure. From '90 thru '13 using a 2.5-8, then went to a 3.5-10. The 2.5-8 is setting in a set of Leupold QD's....if I ever have a scope problem. memtb

hey, no sweat, maybe it's got to do with the intense pressure wave of the brake. would figure the non-braked to be more harsh, but you know better than me. My Z5 5-25 survived life on a light 338WM and my light 300WM for a while, but it found a new home. never had any zero shift issues or anything like that. I hope my vx-6 and soon to be Zeiss V6 can handle it.

I was and guess still am, confused that a rifle with brake is harder on scopes than a non-braked rifle (assuming equal rifle weights). memtb
Muzzle brakes cause reverse thrust on rifle scopes. Initially the force to the scope is backwards toward the shooter. Next the muzzle brake pulls the rifle and scope forward, in the opposite direction.
Scopes that survive on magnum muzzle brake equipped rifles must be designed to survive quick acceleration in both directions. Scopes used on rifles without muzzle brakes can survive with structural restraint design in only the rearward direction of acceleration.
Because muzzle brakes are becoming so common, it seems as if decent scope manufacturers now design all their quality scopes to survive sharp acceleration in both directions.
But not all scopes are equally tough. Nightforce has a good reputation for toughness. But even the occasional Nightforce scope has been reported to puke its guts.
Riding atop a high powered rifle is a tough life.

Certainly can't give you g-force numbers... but we are using identical scopes on my wife's .338 WM ( 225's @ 2950 in a 9.0 lb. rifle [scoped,loaded,slung]), which has "pretty sharp" recoil (no muzzle brake) and has experienced no failures on the Leupold. I pretty sold on their reliability! memtb

It would be interesting to see the numbers on the deceleration of recoil with a brake.
I've seen Leupolds not make it past two rounds on braked rifles, I would love to use them for the weight and some of the new turrets are flat awesome but the numbers I've seen toasted I would have to have a backup rifle every where I went just waiting for it to gutted it's self.

It would be interesting to see the numbers on the deceleration of recoil with a brake.
I've seen Leupolds not make it past two rounds on braked rifles, I would love to use them for the weight and some of the new turrets are flat awesome but the numbers I've seen toasted I would have to have a backup rifle every where I went just waiting for it to gutted it's self.
Any Leupold models more susceptible than others - of the broken ones you're seeing?

Bigngreen, Interesting I have several leos one on light weight braked after 10 yrs 340 wby, 1000 plus rnds.Light 325 wsm,and 7-2oz 338NM mark 4 spent about 400 rnds then moved to 9# 338 NM,8 years hard use on that scope

Hi I have a Fierce rifle in 338Rum with brake it has a Z8 2-16x50 shoots better than 1/2 inch and weighs complete 8.2pounds and it is very pleasant to shoot with the brake on. Without brake it's a monster.
Yes the total weight complete with scope is 8.2 pounds. My loads are 225 gn Nosler Accubond with many grains of Reloader 25 for 3250 fps

I hear ya! That's why earlier I posted so far - so good. I've got 4 seasons on one Swaro Z5 and 2 seasons on the other. Not a lot of shots fired, but so far they've survived. One on the muzzle braked 338 Rogue, and one on the muzzle braked 30/375 SI. Both pretty light rifles. A harsh scope testing environment.
I don't think you should put the z5 in the same category as the z8. The z8 is the best that Swarovski make.

I don't think you should put the z5 in the same category as the z8. The z8 is the best that Swarovski make.

Checked out the Z8 on the Swarovski web site. It weighs 1/2 lb more than the 3.5-18x Z5.

A nice scope no doubt, but I didn't want the extra weight of the Z6, let alone the Z8. My blood pressure went up 10 points when I saw the purchase cost of the least expensive Z8... :eek::)

Ditto, I had two different models crap out the same way on a 13# braked .338 Edge. On one the front lens cracked the first round. That rig also destroyed several IOR scopes, don't think any of them made it through a single shooting session.
I would like to use Leupold too, however it's hard to get that trust back. The newer models have my attention.

Well, we're well along the way to seeing what a good scope can take. have 90% of the build ready to ship off and components weight in at 9.5lbs with scope and rings. Right where I wanted to be weight wise for a packable heavy hitter, without being too light. I'll definitely be investing in a top tier brake, maybe even a big Terminator. On that note, anyone know how well the Armalite 338L tank brake works. Never had the chance to shoot one, but did shoot an Armalite 50BMG and that giant brake works.

I don't
Well, we're well along the way to seeing what a good scope can take. have 90% of the build ready to ship off and components weight in at 9.5lbs with scope and rings. Right where I wanted to be weight wise for a packable heavy hitter, without being too light. I'll definitely be investing in a top tier brake, maybe even a big Terminator. On that note, anyone know how well the Armalite 338L tank brake works. Never had the chance to shoot one, but did shoot an Armalite 50BMG and that giant brake works.

I can vouch for the Terminator. The T5 makes my 8 lb Edge an absolute pleasure to shoot with heavy 300 grain loads. Another one to check out is IdahoCTDs lineup at muzzlebrakesandmore.com
His newest version competes right alongside the Terminator.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.