Rifle with Swappable Barrels

Did a little digging. Correct me if I'm wrong but there's no set screws in this man's 700 and his shooting appears pretty consistent....
F.F. to 4:52 seconds....

I used to have a 700 Palma rifle that was set up as a switch barrel system with different barrels that were hand-tightened only. I experienced zero problems with the system and never had the barrels shoot loose. The work was done by Derrick Martin at Accuracy Speaks.

I used to have a 700 Palma rifle that was set up as a switch barrel system with different barrels that were hand-tightened only. I experienced zero problems with the system and never had the barrels shoot loose. The work was done by Derrick Martin at Accuracy Speaks.
So as with the video I posted, set screws are not necessary...no issue with headspace and barrels loosening? 700 actions can be utilized as a switch barrel setup for quite a bit cheaper than ones mentioned that claim set screws are necessary for their system?

Did a little digging. Correct me if I'm wrong but there's no set screws in this man's 700 and his shooting appears pretty consistent....
F.F. to 4:52 seconds....

I immediately thought of this video when I saw that comment. I was just too lazy to look it up. I think as long as the thread makeup is good, you won't have any issues.

I immediately thought of this video when I saw that comment. I was just too lazy to look it up. I think as long as the thread makeup is good, you won't have any issues.
Right, if you watch the whole video he actually states that he removed his barrel before he records impacts at each distance. Seems safe and repeatable to me..

If you want consistent results then set the gun up consistently. If you are consistent when putting a barrel in the headspace changes
It's clear that the Terminus actions are not requiring action wrenches and torque specs for the barrel. Post #82 explains "hand tight" and the video posted on terminus actions shows hand loosening and hand tightening. As stated, the set screws have torque specs but it would appear there are no actual function of them related to headspace or barrel torque other than to ensure loosening of the HAND TIGHT barrel doesn't happen.

It's obvious consistent results are displayed in both videos where hand tightened barrels are used. Am I missing something about the consistency you're referring too?

It's clear that the Terminus actions are not requiring action wrenches and torque specs for the barrel. Post #82 explains "hand tight" and the video posted on terminus actions shows hand loosening and hand tightening. As stated, the set screws have torque specs but it would appear there are no actual function of them related to headspace or barrel torque other than to ensure loosening of the HAND TIGHT barrel doesn't happen.

It's obvious consistent results are displayed in both videos where hand tightened barrels are used. Am I missing something about the consistency you're referring too?
I would want the screws in a hunting scenario. If just bench shooting maybe not so much, if I planned on switching barrels often. The mechanic side of me wonders how often these barrels can be switched before we start seeing some wear on the threads that may affect head space ? I would imagine it should be high, if done correctly. And threads are not abused. But I have seen some crazy things that never should have happened.

Last edited:
My Rem 700 actions for my comp rifles all have headspace between barrels at .001" difference. I can hand tighten them and shoot all day long. The difference between hand tightened, nipped up by an action wrench and barrel vice is in the tenths of a thou…
This is how the shouldered barrel works.

Cheers.

I would want the screws in a hunting scenario. If just bench shooting maybe not so much, if I planned on switching barrels often. The mechanic side of me wonders how often these barrels can be switched before we start seeing some wear on the threads that may affect head space ? I would imagine it should be high, if done correctly. And threads are not abused. But I have seen some crazy things that never should have happened.
Never seen any wear on threads used in a switch barrel, not once. What I have seen is marks on barrels at the shoulder where they were torqued to 100lbs/ft and then removed/installed several times.
I also always use a grease or anti-seize on the threads and between the lug and barrel on removable lug actions and have them pinned.

Cheers.

Some of the name brand barrel manufacturers have really increased their prices on switch barrels. Some are as expensive as a shoulder barrel. I need my rifles to hold around .5 moa and my barrels from McGowen and Wilson will hold this easily and are much cheaper than Krieger and some of the other brands. BulletCentral.com

So as with the video I posted, set screws are not necessary...no issue with headspace and barrels loosening? 700 actions can be utilized as a switch barrel setup for quite a bit cheaper than ones mentioned that claim set screws are necessary for their system?
Correct. No issues with headspace or loose barrels. If you are worried about that, Derrick has machined wrench flats on barrels in the past and you can just loosen and tighten the barrels with an end wrench. My rifles have often traveled on bumpy roads and in less-than-desirable conditions, including hunting outings. Neither Derrick's system or the WTO Switch Lug system have given me any issues at all. The WTO solution can be applied to just about any bolt action. No need to use a high-end custom action.