Rifle with Swappable Barrels

Seems like this discussion is wandering far from what the OP started with. The question was what experience people had had with switch barrel systems. You can have a switch barrel system with a torqued barrel, but you will need an action wrench and barrel vise to switch barrels. You can have a system with the barrels tightened and loosened by an end wrench, You can have a system with a barrel tightened by hand and secured by set screws. You can have a system in which the barrel is screwed into a lug (like the WTO unit) and the lug is then tightened around the barrel. Or you can have a system where the barrels are simply hand tightened. The latter four systems eliminate the need for a barrel vise and action wrench. If you like your barrels locked down and tightened like the factory Model 70's (which in the past have taken exceptional levels of persuasion to remove), the switch barrel concept is likely not your cup of tea, so just avoid it altogether. You will be happier. If the concept intrigues you, pick the system that gives you the most inner peace and move forward. There is no need to nitpick the other guy's choice, though.

Seems like this discussion is wandering far from what the OP started with. The question was what experience people had had with switch barrel systems. You can have a switch barrel system with a torqued barrel, but you will need an action wrench and barrel vise to switch barrels. You can have a system with the barrels tightened and loosened by an end wrench, You can have a system with a barrel tightened by hand and secured by set screws. You can have a system in which the barrel is screwed into a lug (like the WTO unit) and the lug is then tightened around the barrel. Or you can have a system where the barrels are simply hand tightened. The latter four systems eliminate the need for a barrel vise and action wrench. If you like your barrels locked down and tightened like the factory Model 70's (which in the past have taken exceptional levels of persuasion to remove), the switch barrel concept is likely not your cup of tea, so just avoid it altogether. You will be happier. If the concept intrigues you, pick the system that gives you the most inner peace and move forward. There is no need to nitpick the other guy's choice, though.
I agree, it seems as this happens a lot in most threads. And I apologize for my part of taking the thread off course.

^^agreed
I run a switch barrel rig with multiple barrels and it works as intended. I have learned to torque the barrel well. I use 60ft-lbs now with shouldered barrels.
I have almost no poi shift between barrels/cartridges and I am really happy with my choice to run one rifle for multiple cartridges, it allows experimentation or purpose change at fairly low cost. I am trying to convince a buddy to do a 300 NM and 33XC rig
In the end I will likely build another rifle to leave set up in the cartridge I shoot the most (30 SM) and keep bouncing the barrels around on this rig.

300 RUM, 30 SM, 338 EDGE and 375 RUM-imp are currently the cartridges I have chambered.

im with farmer brown, i have a srsa1 with 6 saum, barrel, 22 creedmoor, 28 nosler, 223, all barrels return to zero, and a bonus its a short rifle and very accurate and easy to load for.

Recent Posts