Rifle with Swappable Barrels

Would shooting a right hand twist barrel tighten the barrel onto the receiver and a left hand twist loosen it? I can't picture the direction of the torque.

Regarding headspace inconsistency, I'd imagine that once the action face and tenon shoulder are mated up hand tight, you couldn't hand torque the barrel hard enough to effect headspace.

Would shooting a right hand twist barrel tighten the barrel onto the receiver and a left hand twist loosen it? I can't picture the direction of the torque.

Regarding headspace inconsistency, I'd imagine that once the action face and tenon shoulder are mated up hand tight, you couldn't hand torque the barrel hard enough to effect headspace.
Ya a right hand twist barrel will loosen from the action, a left twist would tighten itself on.

It's clear that the Terminus actions are not requiring action wrenches and torque specs for the barrel. Post #82 explains "hand tight" and the video posted on terminus actions shows hand loosening and hand tightening. As stated, the set screws have torque specs but it would appear there are no actual function of them related to headspace or barrel torque other than to ensure loosening of the HAND TIGHT barrel doesn't happen.

It's obvious consistent results are displayed in both videos where hand tightened barrels are used. Am I missing something about the consistency you're referring too?

It's clear that the Terminus actions are not requiring action wrenches and torque specs for the barrel. Post #82 explains "hand tight" and the video posted on terminus actions shows hand loosening and hand tightening. As stated, the set screws have torque specs but it would appear there are no actual function of them related to headspace or barrel torque other than to ensure loosening of the HAND TIGHT barrel doesn't happen.

It's obvious consistent results are displayed in both videos where hand tightened barrels are used. Am I missing something about the consistency you're referring too?
You may be right about the action as a matter of fact my actions don't have torque spec either. But my barrels do. As far as hand tight, that is a loose term. If you think one person's hand tight is the same as another person's hand tight you may be mistaken. Consistency is key to being able to reproduce results

You may be right about the action as a matter of fact my actions don't have torque spec either. But my barrels do. As far as hand tight, that is a loose term. If you think one person's hand tight is the same as another person's hand tight you may be mistaken. Consistency is key to being able to reproduce results
I don't know man. Seems like a lot of successful people on this thread who are doing just fine with hand tightened barrels. Seems pretty consistent

Talk to @Joel Russo, he owns Terminus, I plan to do just what you are wanting to do. I do believe Terminus Zeus in L/A has the QC feature. You can run a Hawkins M5 DBM Hunter with a Hunter Mag, add the 6.5 spacer kit to the L/A mag to run it in the L/A without issues.
This is what I am doing, except I built it on a Kratos. No it's not a hand tight deal, so still need a wrench, but I should be able to go to a short round as well. Right now I have a 30 SM and have plans to have a 25 short carbon barrel spun up soon. All else will be same.
That is a load of cash that gets double duty. Mark 5 scope, manners stock, trigger tech, bottom metal, bi-pod, stock bedding… need to get a new part for the expensive magazines; spacer kit.
I figure I save 3-4k per barrel or new gun. At least that's what I am telling my wife…

I don't know man. Seems like a lot of successful people on this thread who are doing just fine with hand tightened barrels. Seems pretty consistent
Consistency is key. If the manufacturer weren't consistent with materials and machining we might still have the accuracy of a smooth barrel musket. People now find that even torquing scope mounts down to a give them better results that are repeatable, so why would you only hand tight a barrel and not give it a consistent tightness.

Consistency is key. If the manufacturer weren't consistent with materials and machining we might still have the accuracy of a smooth barrel musket. People now find that even torquing scope mounts down to a give them better results that are repeatable, so why would you only hand tight a barrel and not give it a consistent tightness.
I'm not sure what's being explained. We do not still have the accuracy of smooth barrel muskets because we DO have consistent materials and machining. We could walk back technology all day long but it still doesn't negate the fact that we DO have consistent, repeatable accuracy with hand tight barrels...the last few pages of this thread undoubtedly proves that...unless I've gotten it all wrong?

I'm not sure what's being explained. We do not still have the accuracy of smooth barrel muskets because we DO have consistent materials and machining. We could walk back technology all day long but it still doesn't negate the fact that we DO have consistent, repeatable accuracy with hand tight barrels...the last few pages of this thread undoubtedly proves that...unless I've gotten it all wrong?
So you are saying that consistency is a factor of accuracy, that I what I've been saying. The last few pages does not prove anything. The last few pages do offer peoples opinions or individual results, that doesn't say people don't get good results. To see if hand tight proves to be better than a consistent torque. You remove the other factors wind, temp, altitude, etc. Shoot identical guns in an indoor range with hand tight barrels for a 5 year old up to a 70 year old person without set screws since you don't think they are needed and compare them to barrels that have consistent torque and let us know the results. That is proof whether I am correct or not. I've never heard anyone that shoots the king of the 2 Mile say they only hand tighten their barrels

I have shot suppressors on multiple rifles from 300RUMs down to .243 and they go on hand right. Only once did I have one come loose when I checked it after a couple rounds. Every other time they are tight when I take them off.

If someone has good luck with a barrel that is hand tight and trusts it that's awesome.

I personally would like set screws to make sure the barrel does not come loose. Is it needed maybe not, but that is my personal preference.

If a suppressor can come loose my thinking is that a barrel might be able to come loose as well.

Last edited:
I've never had my can come loose when running it direct thread. The SilencerCo bravo mount has loosened up on me before though. That toothed collar arrangement leaves a little to be desired.

On the set screws, is there two screws, one on each side? I would think a single screw would probably be best. If there's two, and they are not torqued down even, or in the same fashion each time, I wonder what that would do to poi shift/repeatability? Vs just hand tightening down against a shoulder.

I've never had my can come loose when running it direct thread. The SilencerCo bravo mount has loosened up on me before though. That toothed collar arrangement leaves a little to be desired.

On the set screws, is there two screws, one on each side? I would think a single screw would probably be best. If there's two, and they are not torqued down even, or in the same fashion each time, I wonder what that would do to poi shift/repeatability? Vs just hand tightening down against a shoulder.
Terminus has one on each side. 15"lbs of torque I believe.

Lee, I fear we may be continually moving the goal post here. I don't think I said hand tight is better than anything. I don't think I said you're wrong about torqued barrels being more consistent and many others have stated set screws were not necessary for their hand tight, switch barrel setups that would consistently produce for them. Nobody said the kool-aid must be drank. But it's hard to dismiss the fact that the kool-aid exists hahah