Rifle with Swappable Barrels

As stated in post #67, set screws can be added to any action.

Is there a downside/safety issue to doing this?

Any idea why the Terminus Zeus QC has a shorter tenon than the non-QC?_

Bill,
Sorry i must have missed that. My thinking tells me the set screws are more of a precaution like most all set screws in any application serve.

Tenon length is the same .725". The only differences is with the QC your go gauge protrusion is .002" longer because of no torque. If you are going to torque a barrel on a QC then it needs to be chambered then you cut the chamber to have 0.002" shorter headspace. The other difference is the .200" flat cut for the screws to mate to.

Maybe @Joel Russo will chime in to confirm.

Maybe @Joel Russo can chime in on the purpose of the set screws. Are they there to hold the barrel or as a precaution on the QC?
They are not a precaution. They are to hold the barrel in place. Everything is engineered for a purpose. And I for one would not want to gamble with the barrel being slightly loose. Slightly loose on a shot may not sound like a lot but in the world of rifle chambers is a lot. Terminus actions are very very very consistent in measurements. I have not had one yet that was any different that what they are stated to be. Now I can name 3 actions that come to mind that every one measures slightly different and they are suppose to be manufactured to have headspace tolerance to a 0.001", but that's not the case. Terminus are dead nuts from I have found.

Last edited:
From what I see the Terminus Zeus QC only comes in a short action most of what I would like to do I want a long action.

Unfortunately, there website is down, I had thought they had it setup with long action as QC as well. Maybe Joel will see this post and respond.
The Zeus QC is available in both long and short action configurations.
The tenon is the same length for both the QC and FT, but the thread length is different. Check the tenon prints on the website.
All Terminus actions have guaranteed headspace. When you marry them up with a shouldered pre fit barrel from an endorsed supplier, the headspace will not change when you hand torque the barrel and torque the set screws as per our recommended method.
There's plenty of info on the interweb, and YouTube on the reliability and repeatability of the Terminus Zeus QC.

Last edited:
Can this be done with a 700 action at half the cost?
You can do it for sure. For half the cost I don't think so. But your gunsmith will have to have the action measurements to cut a barrel and if you're not capable of recording the measurements then your gs will have to have your action every time and I would venture to say most all gunsmiths will want your 700 action to cut a chamber for liability purposes in setting the headspace correctly.

The Zeus QC is available in both long and short action configurations.
The tenon is the same length for both the QC and FT, but the thread length is different. Check the tenon prints on the website.
All Terminus actions have guaranteed headspace. When you marry them up with a shouldered pre fit barrel from an endorsed supplier, the headspace will not change when you hand torque the barrel and torque the set screws as per our recommended method.
There's plenty of info on the interweb, and YouTube on the reliability and repeatability of the Terminus Zeus QC.
Joel,
My mistake on the tenon length. Not sure where I got that idea.
Any reason that you don't make the QC for your lighter actoins?
Thanks,
Bill