Ridgeline or Mesa 6.5prc

HR Pearson

Im a new member and enjoy this site, I have a Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor and it's a great shooting gun, now I'm wanting to add a 6.5 prc to my collection ( thinking about selling/trading my sako model 75 finnlight 270wsm) either in ridgeline or another Mesa is my choices( I know there's other great guns) but these will be the two I choose from,what's everyone's opinion on the guns and the caliber? Thanks!

The caliber is not much better than the creed just my .02$. I would rather have a 280 ai or a 7mm mag. Just because these will cover a wider range of game. Plus the 6.5 prc only comes with a 24" barrel. No thanks. I have a ridgeline in 6.5x284 Norma, it's a good cartridge and an accurate gun.

So I have never shot a 6.5prc but own a creedmoor and shot out a 6.5x284 I rebarreled into a 280ai as it was a long action

If I was to buy my first 6.5 all over again it would be the 6.5prc. The Creed just doesn't have enough juice for me and while the 6.5x284 was a great and accurate gun that I killed a ton of whitetail with I think by the numbers the 6.5prc is better.

Creed is a great cartridge in many ways but it just needs more powder

I neither own nor have shot the 6.5prc but I do own 6.5mm cartridges that lie on either side of it. I think it's a pretty handy round and to each their own so if you like it, go for it! Personally I chose just a little more horsepower and went with the 6.5saum.

Im a new member and enjoy this site, I have a Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor and it's a great shooting gun, now I'm wanting to add a 6.5 prc to my collection ( thinking about selling/trading my sako model 75 finnlight 270wsm) either in ridgeline or another Mesa is my choices( I know there's other great guns) but these will be the two I choose from,what's everyone's opinion on the guns and the caliber? Thanks!
Pretty sure the WSM can be rebarreled to one of the 6.5 Sherman Short Mags. "Shoot" Elkaholic a PM.

Tell me about your 270wsm.
I've been thinking about getting one.
Love the ballistics of that round.

I think the PRC is a great cartridge. I have a chassis project chambered for it underway. IMO, it's just about perfect for a 6.5.

I like the Mesa over the Ridgeline personally. I brought in a 6.5 Creedmoor Mesa for a good friend and have shot it. It' an impressive rifle. I know of a few carbon barrels that have had issues on the Ridgeline. Christensen is great to back them, but... For the added cost and what advantage that may or may not be had, I think the Mesa is a better choice.

I prefer a CRF rifle for hunting applications. The Montana X3 is everything the Mesa is plus Mauser features, the safety & trigger of a Model 70 and more. The stock, barrel, etc. is very similar to the Mesa but it's a more "solid", smoother action if that makes any sense. Weight are pretty much the same. I have one here in 6.5 PRC someone brought in and wasn't able to take. If you would like photos of it or are interested, shoot me a message.

I think the PRC is a great cartridge. I have a chassis project chambered for it underway. IMO, it's just about perfect for a 6.5.

I like the Mesa over the Ridgeline personally. I brought in a 6.5 Creedmoor Mesa for a good friend and have shot it. It' an impressive rifle. I know of a few carbon barrels that have had issues on the Ridgeline. Christensen is great to back them, but... For the added cost and what advantage that may or may not be had, I think the Mesa is a better choice.

I prefer a CRF rifle for hunting applications. The Montana X3 is everything the Mesa is plus Mauser features, the safety & trigger of a Model 70 and more. The stock, barrel, etc. is very similar to the Mesa but it's a more "solid", smoother action if that makes any sense. Weight are pretty much the same. I have one here in 6.5 PRC someone brought in and wasn't able to take. If you would like photos of it or are interested, shoot me a message.
You like the Montana? I've heard some negative comments about them, mostly related to delivery times and customer service. Might be several yrs old; Those things linger. Magazine reviews of the product were good though.

Yes, very much so. I have one of the original actions. The new ones are even smoother.
They have had a painful ownership history - a few years ago was really bad. The new owner seems the be invested and very positive about turning things around. In my opinion, the company creator was great, the previous owner not so much and the current owner is good, trying to recover and grow the company. Quality is great, so any concerns there seem to be sorted. I think they are almost there on logistics with a little bit of lingering delay in times and reputation. This latest rifle is really nice. They do have wait times but then so does Christensen often depending on the model you are trying to get. I got really lucky on that LH Mesa to catch one at a distributor at the right time. That guy would have done the Montana if it had been available.

Last edited:
I have a seekins havak 6.5 PRC shoots great especially hornadys factory ammo 143 eldx. Waiting for Redding to make dies. The 143 shot .5". Love to have it bare at 5.5lbs though! Mines 7.25 with the muzzle break.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.