.300 or 6.5prc

On the Bergara site it states the weight @ 7.2#.
Might be? Add a decent sized scope and it can Make a long walk. See...I live in SD where in the western part we may take long shots and hunt public in which we walk 2-3 miles just to get where the game is.

20231011_164029.jpg

I have had 3 or 4 300 win mags and one 6.5 PRC. I would take my win mags over the PRC. I can down load my ammo to be close to a 308 or keep it full power. 300 win mag ammo is easy to come by and if reloading brass isn't difficult to find either. If you are looking for stocks figure out whether you prefer a traditional stock or chassis. Welcome to the forum

O.k isn't the title 300 or 6.5 PRC?
Sorry I offended you ill bow out now.
Hey...no offense here. Forums are always hard to read tone. I didn't mean it to sound snotty. I was just clarifying that's all. Appreciate all advice. Any other recommendations on a lighter synthetic stock? Gun is also not threaded. So I'd need to do that before finding a break. Ideas on proper break?

Before making a decision I think you should step back and think about what you want this rifle to do.

If deer is the biggest game you'll be going after, what's the range? The 6.5 PRC is very capable and the 6.5 PRC recoil is more manageable than the 300 WM if both are running heavy for caliber bullets. With the 6.5 PRC, largest bullet available at this time is the 156 Berger, and the 6.5 PRC would likely run this in the 2900 to 2950 fps ish range. However, if you load a 150 grain bullet in the 300 WM the recoil is far more manageable (more akin to the 6.5 PRC) , and you can likely get it moving 3400 fps or more. In this scenario with the 300 WM, the advantage of the higher velocity turns it into a lazer equating to less drop, faster time of flight, and with the right bullet the higher impact velocity inside 300 yards (maybe farther) will result in far more devastating terminal results. If your deer hunting is 500 yards and under, the 300 WM running lighter bullets super fast is hard to beat.

Obviously I prefer 30 cal magnums, the terminal results are far more noticeable than lesser calibers, they give you the option of larger game if you have the opportunity at some point in the future, and their's a wide variety of projectiles available, from 100 grains to well over 200 grains.

Hey...no offense here. Forums are always hard to read tone. I didn't mean it to sound snotty. I was just clarifying that's all. Appreciate all advice. Any other recommendations on a lighter synthetic stock? Gun is also not threaded. So I'd need to do that before finding a break. Ideas on proper break?
Depending on your neck of the woods, threading the muzzle will run you ~$125-150, and muzzle brakes from $50 to $200 and up, depending on what you are looking for. Do a search; muzzle brakes are extensively discussed on this site. An effective muzzle brake can reduce the felt recoil significantly.

Before making a decision I think you should step back and think about what you want this rifle to do.

If deer is the biggest game you'll be going after, what's the range? The 6.5 PRC is very capable and the 6.5 PRC recoil is more manageable than the 300 WM if both are running heavy for caliber bullets. With the 6.5 PRC, largest bullet available at this time is the 156 Berger, and the 6.5 PRC would likely run this in the 2900 to 2950 fps ish range. However, if you load a 150 grain bullet in the 300 WM the recoil is far more manageable (more akin to the 6.5 PRC) , and you can likely get it moving 3400 fps or more. In this scenario with the 300 WM, the advantage of the higher velocity turns it into a lazer equating to less drop, faster time of flight, and with the right bullet the higher impact velocity inside 300 yards (maybe farther) will result in far more devastating terminal results. If your deer hunting is 500 yards and under, the 300 WM running lighter bullets super fast is hard to beat.

Obviously I prefer 30 cal magnums, the terminal results are far more noticeable than lesser calibers, they give you the option of larger game if you have the opportunity at some point in the future, and their's a wide variety of projectiles available, from 100 grains to well over 200 grains.
Well it only took me about 10 rds or so to sight in 180g federal premiums with very average scope. I bought this ammo simply because in reading about the 300 I learned it tends to pattern better with 180s vs 150s. Not true?? This gun was simply an impulse buy. I do like it tho. Maybe just restocking, using 150s and a better long range scope will be the ticket

Well it only took me about 10 rds or so to sight in 180g federal premiums with very average scope. I bought this ammo simply because in reading about the 300 I learned it tends to pattern better with 180s vs 150s. Not true?? This gun was simply an impulse buy. I do like it tho. Maybe just restocking, using 150s and a better long range scope will be the ticket
You said you want to cut weight by changing out the stock, and you are at 7.4#. I'd take the stock off and weigh the bare stock to see what you are trying to improve upon. One of my stocks is 19 oz. ,keep on mind the lighter the rifle the more you feel recoil

You said you want to cut weight by changing out the stock, and you are at 7.4#. I'd take the stock off and weigh the bare stock to see what you are trying to improve upon. One of my stocks is 19 oz. ,keep on mind the lighter the rifle the more you feel recoil
Ya that's what concerns me.

Ya that's what concerns me.
If you add a brake you will be good, shooting 150's even better. I'd think about keeping the gun at it's weight, I don't see you shaving much weight. Instead of changing the stock add a suppressor makes shooting more enjoyable

Recent Posts