.300 or 6.5prc

It just really depends on how light you want to go, how your rifle balance is and what you're willing to accept. I believe the bergara is a 700 footprint which opens you up into a huge variety of stocks. What does your stock weigh currently?

I actually don't know. I believe the whole gun is 7.6 lbs. I think I should just sell or leave it in the safe. Anyone interested in buying the gun in previous picture let me know!

I actually don't know. I believe the whole gun is 7.6 lbs. I think I should just sell or leave it in the safe. Anyone interested in buying the gun in previous picture let me know!
Sounds like you are standing on the edge of the rabbit hole. Keep the 300 a least for now. Decide what the target weight of the gun you are wanting. Buy an action that will be modular, I use Zermatt / Bighorn origin long actions. I can change the bolt faces to match what I'm shooting and long action makes it where I can shoot most anything. Order your barrel, pencil profile will be the lightest, but most are to small to thread for muzzle brake or suppressor. Then order a stock, trigger, and scope that keep you in the target weight. Then look at your bank account and wonder where the $5000+ went. Finally sell the bergara and order another caliber barrel for variety.

Attachments

• PXL_20231018_190639772.jpg
    PXL_20231018_190639772.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 28
I have a 270 win and 270 WSM. Bought a 6.5 PRC just to see what it would do and after shooting if for a year and taking a muley buck last season I sold it. Not because it couldn't shoot; it had great accuracy.
I have a 300 WSM as well, and frankly wouldn't trade it or get rid of it. The 300 Win/WSM are very versatile cartridges, and has been mentioned, can be loaded for different circumstances if wanted. I personally use my 300 for Elk and bear but if I knew I was hunting an area with real long shots possible, that gun loaded with high BC bullets can really reach out and hit with authority.
Lastly, I have a 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a great gun for the grandkids to shoot and hunt with, and I use it on occasion for predator hunting, but prefer the 270 for the lion share of my hunting.
My 300 is light weight and sports a limb saver pad and a break and the reoil is light enough I can and do put 20 or more rounds down range from the bench without issue, especially when I'm working up loads or getting ready for a hunt with the potential for long range (500+ yards) shots and I'm practicing those long-range shots.
SD has some wide-open spaces and a 300 WM would be a great long range deer gun with the right high BC bullets.
Just my plug nickel.

off topic a bit but...guys who have hunted with the 6.5 prc and 6.5 creedmore....is there that much difference? More recoil? Faster for prc? Ive read the stats etc but curious to first hand opinions.

off topic a bit but...guys who have hunted with the 6.5 prc and 6.5 creedmore....is there that much difference? More recoil? Faster for prc? Ive read the stats etc but curious to first hand opinions.
To me the recoil difference isn't much, but keep in mind everyone will feel the recoil differently. Creedmoor feels like shooting a light projectile 308 and the prc feels like a 270

oh and back to topic...I actually found a couple guns I'd like to have. I think my best bet is to sell this bergara 300. I new to the site and guess not allowed to post for sale yet. But if anyone is interested in buy the .300 in my previous pic let me know.

Yes, you'll have better performance from the 6.5 PRC at longer distance. expect 200-300 fps over the Creedmoor with same bullets on average.
Yes, there will be a little more recoil but neither one of the ones I owned/own recoiled appreciably.
Some may argue this (I won't argue back), but in my opinion and from my experience with both, I wouldn't take a shot at a big whitetail or mule deer past 400/450 yards with a Creedmoor due to the amount of energy at that distance, and not past 650/700 yards with the PRC for the same reason.
This is my personal opinion and my take on the 2 cartridges based on personal experience having shot hundreds of rounds from each, both factory and handloads.
Can they take animals at longer range; Yes.