Bergara ridgeback 6.5prc vs christian arms mesa long range 6.5prc

I have between me and my sons 5 bergaras from the basic b14 timber hunting rifle and b14 hmr's in 6.5c and 308 and premiere approach in 300wm and all of them have factory loads that will shoot into .25 moa. Its been quite remarkeable to be honest.

I have between me and my sons 5 bergaras from the basic b14 timber hunting rifle and b14 hmr's in 6.5c and 308 and premiere approach in 300wm and all of them have factory loads that will shoot into .25 moa. Its been quite remarkeable to be honest.

So you pulled five Beraga rifles off the shelf at your local gun shop, loaded them up with factory ammo, and you shot groupings with all five rifles that would have won many long-distance shooting competitions? Little suspect...

Last edited:
Disclaimer, I own a Bergara Premiere Highlander (NIB auction for $1200).

I was in a similar boat comparing numerous guns for 300WM, two of them were above Bergara and CA Ridgeline. I ended up doing a tremendous amount of research and found that the main disadvantage the CA had was the CF wrapping on the barrel was a pretty common issue, and that their customer service team had left room for improvement. This might have changed, and you are looking at a barrel without the CF wrapping, the fit and finish are very similar for the two though I think Bergara has the lead on their action and barrel.

I will say this, the action on my Bergara is wonderful to cycle, and when shot by hands better than mine, was sub .5moa to a long distance.

My application sounds different as this is a hunting rifle and weight is a big concern, but the gun that actually got the closest was the Seekins Havak Pro Hunter 2 though the price made it out of range. Maybe look at current pricing on the Havak Bravo?

All that are listed are great factory guns that will be fun to shoot, don't overthink it.

I have a Bergara Premier Approach and a Christensen BA Tactical - they are my two favorite rifles. Both shoot sub 1/2 moa with factory ammo. The action on the premier is silky smooth - like I have to double check that is picked up a round smooth. The premier is in 6mm CM and is my go to coyote/pig gun. The CA is in 6.5 PRC and is my elk/mule deer/blackbear gun. Antelope and whitetails get the flip of a coin between the two.

I don't think you can go wrong with either company or either rifle you are considering.

CA does use SS Remington actions for their rifles. They add a side bolt release and true them up. ( I was told this by a friend in the business so could be false but I trust him
I don't think this is true - they manufacture their actions in house. Mine has a milled in rail on it.

As an additional side note. The one thing I don't like about Bergara in 6.5 PRC is that it is offered in an 8 twist. This may be fine for you depending on what bullets you want to shoot and your elevation. However, for me at sea level, I would only get marginal bullet stability with the new Berger 156. Stability would be fine on 140 class bullets.

Not sure where CA is at on PRC twist rates, but you might want to look at that.
I shoot the 156 in my CA 1:8 twist barrel at 300 ft elevation and it stabilizes fine out to 1250 yards.

I shoot the 156 in my CA 1:8 twist barrel at 300 ft elevation and it stabilizes fine out to 1250 yards.
Whats your velocity? I had a bad experience w/ a full custom 300WM that wouldn't shoot the 215 Berger's bc it was a 10 twist. As such I pay a lot closer attention now and don't mess with anything close to marginal stability. According to Berger's stability calculator, the 156 falls into the marginal category for my avg conditions w/ am 8 twist and 3000 FPS.

So you pulled five Beraga rifles off the shelf at your local gun shop, loaded them up with factory ammo, and you shot groupings with all five rifles that would have won many long-distance shooting competitions? Little suspect...

Say what you will, but they do. Not sure where a .250 group at 100 wins anything. Certainly doesnt win any BR comps at our range but flame on. They do what they do with the right factory loads. Very very consistent rifles

Whats your velocity? I had a bad experience w/ a full custom 300WM that wouldn't shoot the 215 Berger's bc it was a 10 twist. As such I pay a lot closer attention now and don't mess with anything close to marginal stability. According to Berger's stability calculator, the 156 falls into the marginal category for my avg conditions w/ am 8 twist and 3000 FPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts