Christiansen Arms Mesa (Not long range version)

Bigeclipse

For the money ~1200 dollars, is the Mesa the best bang for the buck for a headache free Sub 1MOA rifle? I have read a lot of reviews and it seems if your budget is around the 900-1200$ mark then this is the go-to rifle unless you try and build a rifle yourself...like buy a tikka and then throw an aftermarket stock on it. If this was the absolute max money you wanted to spend, is there anything else to consider?

From what I can tell the Pro's of this rifle are as follows:
Decent weight (light but not ultra light)
1 MOA guarantee (From what I can tell the rifles do tend to get this)
Based around the Remington 700 action (if you ever wanted a new stock)
Spot bedded (I heard this bedding is pretty bad but that it is better than nothing)
Stock is a nice stock (not amazing but not a throw away Tupperware stock)
Muzzle brake and thread protector included
Triggertech trigger (not amazing but better than most factory offerings)
cerakoted

Some negatives I have read:
Customer service has been hit or miss
Spot bedding is not great (Again, this is better than nothing but I guess some have been pretty bad)
The magazine well does not allow for seating bullets all the way to the lands (I don't do this anyways)
If you are looking for a sub .5MOA rifle, this is not likely the rifle to buy
Advertised weight is not always correct...sometimes off by quite a few ounces.

Are there other rifles in this price range to consider for someone who just does not want to mess around with building a rifle or replacing parts?

I only own a CA mesa in the .45 bushmaster and it shoots sub MOA out to 200. I did remove there spot bedding and bedded the whole receiver myself before ever shooting it though. I have been around several in 6.5 Creed that were also good shooting guns. I think you have already done your research and are spot on IMO. For the money they are hard to beat.

Have owned and been around 2 of them in magnum calibers both were MOA guns all day long with factory ammo and many loads worked up for them and they just did not shoot any better no matter what we did the only thing we finally did notice is they shot a hair better without the muzzle brake would I buy another probably not. I feel there are better guns out there for the money, just my opinion

Have owned and been around 2 of them in magnum calibers both were MOA guns all day long with factory ammo and many loads worked up for them and they just did not shoot any better no matter what we did the only thing we finally did notice is they shot a hair better without the muzzle brake would I buy another probably not. I feel there are better guns out there for the money, just my opinion
Any suggestions on which are better for similar money.

This is a copy and paste of my brief review that I left on someone else's post.

I'll throw in my 2 cents since I own a Mesa in 300wm.

The good:

I really like the aftermarket options for this rifle as it is a Remington 700 "clone".

The stock trigger from Triggertech o think is fantastic. It definitely has a cleaner break than my Timney 510. The side bolt release is a nice upgrade as well.

The M16 style extractor coupled with dual ejectors throw empty brass out easily.

The lightening cuts on the reciever, the holes drilled in the bolt handle and bolt fluting shave off a few ounces which I like.

The bolt handle is threaded and you can swap out bolt knobs if you wish.

My mag box measures in at 3.700 inches. I can load 181 hammers and 212 ELDX to the lands and still have plenty of room in the mag box.

The recoil lug come bedded from the factory. Note that the entire action is not bedded.

The included brake is a nice touch but it is a radial brake that is not as effective as the side port brakes I've used in the past and if you shoot prone, it kicks up a lot of dust.

With a full magazine, sling, base, rings and optic (Zeiss Conquest V4), it weighs in at about 9.1 lbs.

The bad:

I've owned mine for a year now. I have approximately 470 rounds through it.

I've tried 180/200gr accubonds, 212 ELD-x, 168/180 Barnes TTSX, 180 Sierra Gamekings, 181 Hammer Hunters, over H1000 and Reloader22.

So far the 168 TTSX bullets shoot consistently from .75 MOA to 1.25 MOA.

180 TTSX shoot about 1-2 MOA

The Nosler accubonds shot 3-5 MOA.

The 212 ELD-x shoot 4-5 MOA.

Sierra Gamekings shoot 1.5-3 MOA

I did shoot 1 group with the 181 Hammers that was promising. It put 4 shots into about .6 MOA then the 5th shot opened it up to about 2 MOA. Most groups with the Hammers have been in the 1.5 to 2.5 range. I haven't been able to repeat "good" group.

This is a copy and paste of my brief review that I left on someone else's post.

I'll throw in my 2 cents since I own a Mesa in 300wm.

The good:

I really like the aftermarket options for this rifle as it is a Remington 700 "clone".

The stock trigger from Triggertech o think is fantastic. It definitely has a cleaner break than my Timney 510. The side bolt release is a nice upgrade as well.

The M16 style extractor coupled with dual ejectors throw empty brass out easily.

The lightening cuts on the reciever, the holes drilled in the bolt handle and bolt fluting shave off a few ounces which I like.

The bolt handle is threaded and you can swap out bolt knobs if you wish.

My mag box measures in at 3.700 inches. I can load 181 hammers and 212 ELDX to the lands and still have plenty of room in the mag box.

The recoil lug come bedded from the factory. Note that the entire action is not bedded.

The included brake is a nice touch but it is a radial brake that is not as effective as the side port brakes I've used in the past and if you shoot prone, it kicks up a lot of dust.

With a full magazine, sling, base, rings and optic (Zeiss Conquest V4), it weighs in at about 9.1 lbs.

The bad:

I've owned mine for a year now. I have approximately 470 rounds through it.

I've tried 180/200gr accubonds, 212 ELD-x, 168/180 Barnes TTSX, 180 Sierra Gamekings, 181 Hammer Hunters, over H1000 and Reloader22.

So far the 168 TTSX bullets shoot consistently from .75 MOA to 1.25 MOA.

180 TTSX shoot about 1-2 MOA

The Nosler accubonds shot 3-5 MOA.

The 212 ELD-x shoot 4-5 MOA.

Sierra Gamekings shoot 1.5-3 MOA

I did shoot 1 group with the 181 Hammers that was promising. It put 4 shots into about .6 MOA then the 5th shot opened it up to about 2 MOA. Most groups with the Hammers have been in the 1.5 to 2.5 range. I haven't been able to repeat "good" group.
Hmm ok that makes me not want to get one. I hope people can suggest other options...I'm looking for a guaranteed sub 1moa gun. Don't need half MOA but definitely want at least 1moa out to 400

I hunt elk with my CA ridgeline , I love it but understand it's more than the Mesa. But I also have several "budget rifles that group sub moa with factory ammo". T/C compass 204 , savage axis 22-250, savage 110 7/08 ( prolly my all time favorite rifle ). Just to name a few. Go to your local gun store and check a few cheaper options out and you might find something that fits you and have money left over for "customizing" trigger / stock/ etc. or better optics.

I'm looking to build a .300 RUM for an oryx hunt and CA came across my radar. You say there's better options for that price point, I'd love to have your insight.

For the money ~1200 dollars, is the Mesa the best bang for the buck for a headache free Sub 1MOA rifle? I have read a lot of reviews and it seems if your budget is around the 900-1200$ mark then this is the go-to rifle unless you try and build a rifle yourself...like buy a tikka and then throw an aftermarket stock on it. If this was the absolute max money you wanted to spend, is there anything else to consider?

From what I can tell the Pro's of this rifle are as follows:
Decent weight (light but not ultra light)
1 MOA guarantee (From what I can tell the rifles do tend to get this)
Based around the Remington 700 action (if you ever wanted a new stock)
Spot bedded (I heard this bedding is pretty bad but that it is better than nothing)
Stock is a nice stock (not amazing but not a throw away Tupperware stock)
Muzzle brake and thread protector included
Triggertech trigger (not amazing but better than most factory offerings)
cerakoted

Some negatives I have read:
Customer service has been hit or miss
Spot bedding is not great (Again, this is better than nothing but I guess some have been pretty bad)
The magazine well does not allow for seating bullets all the way to the lands (I don't do this anyways)
If you are looking for a sub .5MOA rifle, this is not likely the rifle to buy
Advertised weight is not always correct...sometimes off by quite a few ounces.

Are there other rifles in this price range to consider for someone who just does not want to mess around with building a rifle or replacing parts?
For another $800 you can buy a Fierce Fury at Cabelas. Guaranteed 1/2" MOA. Check Gun Broker and JD Outfitters. I just bought one in 6.5 Creedmoor with some upgrades for $1,950. Waiting for delivery. I'll update this post after insight it in at my range

For another $800 you can buy a Fierce Fury at Cabelas. Guaranteed 1/2" MOA. Check Gun Broker and JD Outfitters. I just bought one in 6.5 Creedmoor with some upgrades for $1,950. Waiting for delivery. I'll update this post after insight it in at my range
Yeah I just cant do another 800$ unfortunately.

800+ isnt the same price point

id like to hear from the people who are not experiencing good results ,what exactly they think is not built well enough that it only gets to 2 MOA

there can be so many other reasons for that .

Last edited:
Honestly, in that price range I would drop down to a Tikka T3X depending on cartridge and planned use.

I don't think the extra $500 for the Mesa really buys you anything over what a Tikka offers. I also like that Tikka safety locks the bolt.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.