Christiansen Arms Mesa (Not long range version)

For your budget I'd look at the tikka option you mentioned. Bad reviews are pretty rare and they all seem to be shooters. Not as many aftermarket gizmos available as the 700 action, but how many does a guy really need when a gun already prints .75 Moa or so. You can also pick up a used sako for that amount.

I don't think the extra $500 for the Mesa really buys you anything over what a Tikka offers. I also like that Tikka safety locks the bolt.
id disagree , the trigger , the brake & 700 compatibility , ceracoat

from what i read it has a sub moa gaurantee ( less the 450 bushmaster ) https://christensenarms.com/mesa/

the tikka do not have heavy contour offerings , and id highly suggest verifying the twist rates offered as many are not aimed towards the heavier bullets

For your budget I'd look at the tikka option you mentioned. Bad reviews are pretty rare and they all seem to be shooters. Not as many aftermarket gizmos available as the 700 action, but how many does a guy really need when a gun already prints .75 Moa or so. You can also pick up a used sako for that amount.
unfortunately tikka does not yet offer a 6.5prc and they have notoriously short magazine boxes which hinders length of bullets.

Can't get prc off the shelf yet. Short box is not an issue with short mag cartridges

Hells Canyon offers WSM mags with extended COAL that fits standard factory bottom metal.

My buddy has a Mesa in 7 mm rem mag. It shoots sub moa with 180 Berger's all day. It's a super nice gun for the price. Try to build that rifle for that price.

700 action-$400
Bdl bottom metal-$150
Trigger tech-$150
Barrel-$400
Brake-$150
Cerakote-$200
Stock-$300
Gunsmith-$$

$1,100 seems like a good deal based on the parts alone. Also the action is much lighter than a standard 700 with a longer magazine COAL.

My buddy has a Mesa in 7 mm rem mag. It shoots sub moa with 180 Berger's all day. It's a super nice gun for the price. Try to build that rifle for that price.

700 action-$400
Bdl bottom metal-$150
Trigger tech-$150
Barrel-$400
Brake-$150
Cerakote-$200
Stock-$300
Gunsmith-$$

$1,100 seems like a good deal based on the parts alone. Also the action is much lighter than a standard 700 with a longer magazine COAL.
Their barrel isn't worth 400$. More like 200$ is my guess

Can't get prc off the shelf yet. Short box is not an issue with short mag cartridges

Hells Canyon offers WSM mags with extended COAL that fits standard factory bottom metal.
Field and stream had 6.5prc ammo the last time I was there...

I've been on the fence between the Mesa and the Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. The reason I am looking at the Christensen Arms is the sub-MOA guarantee with factory ammo. I have several rifles that I reload for and get sub-MOA but I want a hunting rifle that I can grab a box of ammo anywhere and shoot it. I've talked to Christensen about this guarantee and it applies to factory ammo, not reloads. If it doesn't shoot, send it back and they will look at it. So far, everyone I have talked to has seemed very nice and helpful.

- The Mesa and Ridgeline are the same rifle with exception of the barrel. The stock is the same but opened up to accommodate the CF barrel.
- I have several Trigger Tech triggers in other rifles and they are better than Timney IMHO. Jewel triggers break a little cleaner but are not sealed like the Trigger Tech. That is something I think about in a hunting rifle.
- The spot bedding is just for the recoil lug. Like mentioned, it's better than no bedding at all but the rifle would probably benefit from a full bedding job. I don't know how that will affect warranty.
- The stock is ok. It flexes when you put enough pressure on it but it's not junk like most factory plastic stocks. I'm guessing the Mesa stock is stiffer because the barrel channel is not as wide. With the action being a Rem 700 clone your options are unlimited.
- The magwell is to spec but there is always Wyatts... Also, if it's shooting sub-MOA with factory ammo, why mess with it?
- Advertised weight is 6.5 lbs. I watched a guy weigh one at the store and it was 7.5 lbs on his fish scale. The Ridgeline was 1lb heavier also. Shame on Christensen for this.
- The Mesa is a steel barrel so will start to walk when it heats up after multiple shots but all pencil barrels do.
- The muzzle brake is radial and will kick up dust when prone but the threads are standard so a diff brake could be installed. Rifles like the Browning X-Bolt have metric threads.

I don't own one but have shot a couple at the range. The Mesa is nice but I prefer the CF barrels on the Ridgeline which is why I'm looking at it. Both were tack drivers in 6.5 CM and 7mm Mag. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Mesa.
Now on to the fun debate. Sure, you could spend more money and get a better rifle but you already stated your budget. I think you could also get a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM and shoot factory ammo under MOA six days till Sunday for only $370. Every one of those I have seen at the range is unbelievably accurate. Bottom line is get what you like. Visual appeal means a lot. The way it feels in your hands and when you shoulder it means a lot. A Tikka might fit your buddy perfect but you won't shoot it well at all. You have to make the final decision based upon your preferences. If you get a rifle because somebody told it to and you don't like it, you will regret it, sell it later and buy what you want and will have wasted time and money. Buy once, cry once is a hard lesson to learn.

800+ isnt the same price point

id like to hear from the people who are not experiencing good results ,what exactly they think is not built well enough that it only gets to 2 MOA

there can be so many other reasons for that .
A lot less than a custom rifle. The Fierce Fury has a lot more similarities to a custom rifle than a production rifle. Maybe I'm an elitist but if you can afford $1,200 why not $1,799?

no one has mentioned a browning x bolt. they have lot of options including the x bolt hells canyon which is just under 1100 bucks most places. even the long range version with the longer heavier barrel is 1100. you posted didnt state if you were looking for a R700 action or just anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts