Remington refurbish/build???

Dust270WSM

I have an old 30/06 Remington my wifes grandpa had that has been abused badly. I'm going to have to sand blast the rust off the action and re barrel restock new trigger and re barrel it.

1st question is how much can I expect to spend on getting it back and better? Minimum $$$$ work in on a budget to average $$$$$$ with a bit more budget cause I know the sky's the limit on a Remington.

2nd question is what caliber should I camber it in? Want a flat shooter like my 7mmMag or a 300 wsm. One for deer elk and steel at long ranges.

It depends on how completely you want to do this. Could spend over $1000 or do it yourself.

New stuff:

new barrel $300 and up
barrel installation at least $75 often more
open up bolt face for magnum over $100 might want a sako extractor and another $75 or so
blueing or cerakoting $100 minimum
new stock up to $700 including bedding There is a very wide range of price here.
timney trigger $115 plus installation fee of at least $25

Or do much of the work yourself lowering costs:

leave bolt face alone and choose a chambering like the 280 AI to get close to 7 rem mag performance. A Rem 7-08 takeoff might cost $75 have it rechambered and headspaced for another $75 -$100.

Sure others will probably offer suggestions.

----------------------

Have you tried to use some fine steel wool with oil in it to lightly buff out the rust on the action?

------------------------

you might be able to adjust the trigger or have it done for approx $50

---------------------

Refinish the stock and bed it your self or pay at least $75 for bedding job.
Could buy a new Rem takeoff stock wood or plastic stock or buy a wood one that would fit from Stocky's or Boyds. There are several models that only cost $75 to $125

Your 700 is a long action, standard bolt face.

IMO, the WSM would not be a good candidate due to two things. Action work to get it to feed and UNLESS going to a new PTG bolt, either in one piece or two piece but either way it can come with either M16 or Sako extractor and rail work to get the WSM to feed. Plus you can order a new bolt sized for your action dimensions. Plan on $250 for that plus you can sell the old bolt to offset the costs. Either way order the bolt.

7mm Mag would be a better choice

New barrels run just over $300 and shipping. Plan on $340
chambering will run $150-250 and then another $40-50 for crowning. Those are the norms.
Truing up a 700 action will be $150-300 minimum
Bedding any action will be $150-200
stock-Stockys laminated all ready to go with bedding blocks cost $300 and drop in, others can cost up to $700 and add bedding.
Good trigger will run $140 for newest Timney

Bottom line plan on spending $1000 minimum and up.

Not sure if you need a gunsmith but I used Woody at Compton Custom Rifles. And man he's very good, fast, and keeps you informed along the way of the work. He did did a total rebuild of a 25-06 and I had it back from him in a month. And man this thing can shoot. I have many custom builds and rebuilds from other gunsmith but way more money and takes way more time.
Matter of fact I think I'm going to give him a text now. Time for another gun.
Here's his info.
Woody Compton
Compton custom Rifles
(254) 715-7724
Also has a website
Tell him Matt sent ya

Look into the Sherman lineup of wildcat cartridges based off of the .270 WIN case. They offer great ballistics and would be the easiest way to get high performance out of your standard long action. I personally do not own one, but have read on here that they are easy to form brass for and are very effective rounds.

.280 AI or .280 Sherman would be your best bet for LR shooting for deer and steel. You can get similar to 7mm RM ballistics and performance out of those.

... I'm going to have to sand blast the rust off the action .

"Sand blast" - NO. Bead blast, perhaps.
IMO you're spending a lot of money for what appears to be sentimental reasons and, I believe, you'd be better off starting from scratch with a modern build. You could always refinish the '06 as a wall hanger to satisfy any sentimental interests.

"Sand blast" - NO. Bead blast, perhaps.
IMO you're spending a lot of money for what appears to be sentimental reasons and, I believe, you'd be better off starting from scratch with a modern build. You could always refinish the '06 as a wall hanger to satisfy any sentimental interests.

He could also try and buff the rust off of the rifle before moving away from the project. After buffing the action and all out, then he could bead blast the action to better clean it up and all.

You might think about taking it in and just having it re-blue.. You refinish the stock, it's easy.
As to caliber, I think I'd look at re-clambering to the .308 Norma Magnum it's a snap to covert a .30 06 to one, and it has more than enough power at any hunting range, on any size big game animal in the US

Cheer's

You might think about taking it in and just having it re-blue.. You refinish the stock, it's easy.
As to caliber, I think I'd look at re-clambering to the .308 Norma Magnum it's a snap to covert a .30 06 to one, and it has more than enough power at any hunting range, on any size big game animal in the US

Cheer's

This is also another very great idea. I converted my Model 1917 Enfield action from .30-06 to .308 Norma. I did not use the military barrel, but I had to open up the bolt face, lengthen the magazine box, and widen the feed rails inside the action. Other than that, I didn't do anything else. The .308 Norma is very close in O.A.L. compared to the '06 so shouldn't have a problem in your Model 700.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.