Remington 788 Build

Well, the Mod 788 is an inherently accurate platform, so pretty much whatever you turn it into it will shoot, the only thing I might add to the conversation is; put in a Sako extractor in the bolt by a proficient gunsmith.

It is BS about breaking the bolt and the gun is no good. I have had at least 10 of them repaired my having a friend tig weld the bolt handle back in place. If part of the threads are broken out, you have to be very careful about alining them before welding. The problem was that unlike the 700 which had a piece of the bolt handle that was wrapped around part of the bolt body, they just inserted the stub of the handle into the threaded part of the body and used a furnace brazing technique that was not very good in this application.

Last edited:
I think most pass on building on a 788 because of the weak bolt. When it breaks your done.

As pointed out above, this can be untrue but it's essential that the owner/shooter use temperance when reloading or shooting some factory ammunition.

The only broken bolts I've seen have been from excessive pressure where the bolt gets locked up with the shooter beating on the handle to get it to open.:eek::mad:

I reiterate that you should always put your best foot forward when rebarreling any M788 action. These are truly diamonds in the rough when it comes to accuracy so a top-of-the-line barrel properly installed can make for a superb hunting or moderate target rifle.

Yes, you are correct about the overloading causing the problem. I had one repaired that was an odd accident. Fellow had the gun leaning against a pickup with the bolt open, Other guy slammed the door shut and the gun fell over breaking the handle off. Barely any brazing material on the body or bolt.

Well as promised here are he pics of the 788 from beginning with when I first picked it up.
20190508_120841.jpg

20190508_120902.jpg

This are the pics after I took it all apart and cleaned it all up. Too bad it didn't shoot as well as I liked after doing this.
20190521_120011.jpg

20190521_120131.jpg

And lastly here are the pics of the rifle after it went for a visit to my gunsmith. It got a new 24" SS 8 twist fluted barrel. Action was trued and bedded. I also had them tap the receiver so that I could use Talley one piece mounts instead of a weaver mounts on a full weaver rail.
20191001_064214.jpg
20191001_064042.jpg

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Hopefully I will be able to use it to pop a couple of whitetail does here in November.

Thanks guys. I am really happy with it. Once I get my elk hunting out of the way I'll begin load testing for it.

Great re-work story! This thread caused me to sign up here at LRH! :)

I was looking for info on rifling twist rate for my 788 in .243. Mine was also a restoration project, to a degree... I got it in a trade with a buddy, but it was completely underwater when I was flooded in '04. (I had a steel cabinet at the time, secure-ish but not watertight.)

A friend cleaned it up & oiled it out right away. Later, I took it apart, cleaned everything, and began to rebuild. I put it in a B&C polymer stock "temporarily" while I refinished the wood stock. I wasn't thrilled with the color of the beech, and tru oil just made it shiny ugly, so it's still in plastic pants! I added a Timney trigger and replaced the waterlogged whatever-it-was scope with a Sightron SI 3-9 x 40.

At 1:9, mine seems to love the upper weight limit. I get mediocre groups with 85 gr or less, but it seems to love 100gr Speer BTs. I haven't taken it out past 100yds, but it's more accurate than I am! (Working on that, ageing eyes be d***ed.)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.